• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

J.C. Higgens 12 gauge bolt action shotgun?

Hi, I just transferred my father's gun into my name, and along with his guns he has a J.C, higgins 12 gauge bolt action shot gun. This gun is in great condition has a adjustable yardage choke tube on the muzzle. the only thing i can see need work is the safety switch doesn't work when slid into the safe postion.
Can anyone tell me anything about it? Price? year? on the Barrel the # is 583-1101

I have one in 20ga. Just be careful of the 12 ga in 2 places. Check the receiver bolt area carefully for cracking. The 12ga receivers were weaker than the other ga guns and thy have a tendency to crack from what I have read.

Also check the stop screw. The stop screw also is a weak point as it can strip out if not installed properly. If you read a bit about them then you will find stories of them "shooting the bolt out". The only confirmation of this that I could find online was a guy who had a stripped stop screw. When he worked the action for a follow up shot he pulled the bolt into his eye.

The bolt action is a ton of fun. A group of friends and I tried to shoot trap doubles with it one night. Spent most of the night like this [rofl]

I have one, all I use it for is dicking around at the range. In good condition, id expect to pay 60-90 bucks for one.

Back
Top Bottom