1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

J.C. Higgens 12 gauge bolt action shotgun?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Tony2Times, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Tony2Times

Tony2Times NES Member

Hi, I just transferred my father's gun into my name, and along with his guns he has a J.C, higgins 12 gauge bolt action shot gun. This gun is in great condition has a adjustable yardage choke tube on the muzzle. the only thing i can see need work is the safety switch doesn't work when slid into the safe postion.
    Can anyone tell me anything about it? Price? year? on the Barrel the # is 583-1101

2. dixidawg

dixidawg NES Member

3. jaymce

jaymce NES Member

I have one in 20ga. Just be careful of the 12 ga in 2 places. Check the receiver bolt area carefully for cracking. The 12ga receivers were weaker than the other ga guns and thy have a tendency to crack from what I have read.

Also check the stop screw. The stop screw also is a weak point as it can strip out if not installed properly. If you read a bit about them then you will find stories of them "shooting the bolt out". The only confirmation of this that I could find online was a guy who had a stripped stop screw. When he worked the action for a follow up shot he pulled the bolt into his eye.

The bolt action is a ton of fun. A group of friends and I tried to shoot trap doubles with it one night. Spent most of the night like this [rofl]

4. atmay

atmay NES Member

I have one, all I use it for is dicking around at the range. In good condition, id expect to pay 60-90 bucks for one.

5. AMV

AMV NES Member

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  6. Tony2Times

Tony2Times NES Member

Thanks for all the info. I'll check it out.