14.5 inch barrel

Serapis

Navy Veteran
Do you need an NFA to buy a 14.5 threaded barrel online? The reason I am asking is if I can buy 14.5 barrel, then have a local gunsmith weld a comp or brake to the end

No. The NFA SBR law only covers fully assembled firearms. This includes having a fully assembled SBR AR upper near a fully assemble AR lower (near = in your house). Just owning a barrel or upper under the 16" limit is NOT an NFA contolled item. Purchase away, but put the brake/thread protector on before you put it on the rifle.

What is "an NFA?" NFA refers to the National Firearms Act of 1934. So, the answer is no. You also don't need a Gun Control Act of 1968.

Purchase the barrel, give it to your 'smith, and have him mount the comp/brake to bring the length to 16". Then mount the barrel in an upper and stick it on a rifle.

ETA: with regard to constructive possession, there's a difference between possession of a barrel, which cannot be simply slapped onto an AR, and a complete short-barreled AR upper. Buy the barrel and take it to your 'smith.

Last edited:
What is "an NFA?" NFA refers to the National Firearms Act of 1934. So, the answer is no. You also don't need a Gun Control Act of 1968.

Purchase the barrel, give it to your 'smith, and have him mount the comp/brake to bring the length to 16". Then mount the barrel in an upper and stick it on a rifle.

ETA: with regard to constructive possession, there's a difference between possession of a barrel, which cannot be simply slapped onto an AR, and a complete short-barreled AR upper. Buy the barrel and take it to your 'smith.

Sorry, a tax stamp and the rest. I'm new to this. I want to make sure I am doing this correctly.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Back
Top Bottom