• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

14.5 barrel pinned compensator

Hello,

I am planning on building a new ar15, and thinking of using a 14.5 barrel and permanently pinning/welding a battlecomp 1.5 via a local gunsmith.

My question is: When I receive the 14.5" barrel from the mail, before I get the Battlecomp 1.5 permanently attached, am I in illegal possession? Does it make a difference if I install the barrel on a stripped upper and then bring it to the gunsmith?

Thanks for any advice!

Buy the upper.

Don't put it on the lower. Just to be safe. Its no sweat off your back to bring it to the smith in 2 boxes. (I'm assuming he's doing something on the bottom end also. If he's not, jus tleave the lower home.

Constructive possession is a bogeyman that people like to put out there to frighten other people. Don't be stupid. Get the upper to your smith in a timely manner. Get the extended comp and get it done.

My question though, do you still need to get the break Permanently attached due to fed regulations or is that just Connecticut. I know if it's under 16 you need a tax stamp but am unsure of the requirements of the 16'' being permanent

If the barrel is less than 16", you only have 2 legal choices: register the weapon as an SBR in accordance with the NFA (i.e. Form 1 or 4), or permanently attach a muzzle device to bring the barrel length to 16". (Assuming it is not a pistol)

just have the lower at your gunsmith before you order the upper. I'm doing the same thing, but I'm giving the rifle as a whole and the gun store will have everything and do everything, so slightly different.

I'm pretty sure the statue means that both parts can't be readily assembled. So if both parts are in the same room, I read illegal.

just have the lower at your gunsmith before you order the upper. I'm doing the same thing, but I'm giving the rifle as a whole and the gun store will have everything and do everything, so slightly different.

I'm pretty sure the statue means that both parts can't be readily assembled. So if both parts are in the same room, I read illegal.

Why? Please show me one prosecution in the history of the CT AWB using the concept of constructive intent. If you're really worried, leave the pins at work.

Actually, it doesn't have to fire to be a firearm.

The CT statute actually says:
any combination of parts from which an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (1) may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

You are stretching the limits of credulity to imply that duct taping or bungeeing a pinless upper and lower together qualifies as "rapidly assembled".

But again. Lets hear of one constructive intent prosecution that began with that prosecution. i.e. guy wasn't busted for selling crack out of his home and they found items necessary to put together a constructive intent prosecution. . . .

I'll keep waiting.

Back
Top Bottom