• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W M&P 15 ORC Handguard length?

Hey guys,
I just got my first AR in a trade today with another NES Member. It's the sw mp 15 ORC. I'm looking to swap out the hand-guard but I'm having some trouble measuring it to decide what to buy. From what I've found online it looks like it should be 7inches, but it's gotta be the tightest 7inches I've ever seen. More like 6.6 inches.

Anyways it would suck to order a 7" hand-guard and not have it fit, so any suggestions on how to measure it or even someone with more experience that has a M&P ORC who already knows would be greatly appreciated!

Also This is the rail I was looking to get: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NH3H3Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=A30DGGRQPDAP9Y Any thoughts?

Thanks, Tim

P.S. I keep looking back at it and getting giddy [smile] I have an ar-15!

That one you listed should work fine and is from a very reputable company. I have the M&P ORC and ended up going with these (Midwest Industries Gen 2 handguard) and have been very happy so far.

If you don't have one already, I would suggest picking up a hand-guard removal tool to make the removal process a little easier.

Hey guys,
I just got my first AR in a trade today with another NES Member. It's the sw mp 15 ORC. I'm looking to swap out the hand-guard but I'm having some trouble measuring it to decide what to buy. From what I've found online it looks like it should be 7inches, but it's gotta be the tightest 7inches I've ever seen. More like 6.6 inches.

Anyways it would suck to order a 7" hand-guard and not have it fit, so any suggestions on how to measure it or even someone with more experience that has a M&P ORC who already knows would be greatly appreciated!

Also This is the rail I was looking to get: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NH3H3Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=A30DGGRQPDAP9Y Any thoughts?

Thanks, Tim

P.S. I keep looking back at it and getting giddy [smile] I have an ar-15!

That rifle uses a Carbine length gas system, and uses the standard handguard cap and delta ring over the barrel nut so any "drop in" handguards or rails designed for carbine length should fit.

Awesome, Thanks guys. Now is there a knowledge base or something I should be checking for this type of info?

The smith&wesson product page doesn't have information that specific, nor do the generic m&p15 manuals on the s&w site. Anyways you guys are awesome!

Tim,

Hope you enjoyed the rifle. [smile]

There are many choices/brand of quad rail handguard. Most carbine (7") quad rail will work. Choose either a drop-in or free-float version. Drop-in one is the most easy to install. Just removed the handguard and the quad rail snapped right in. You can find many installation video on youtube. Another good source is brownells.

Here is the handguard installtion video.
Here is the free-float installation video

Back
Top Bottom