• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Northeast Preppers?

yeah I've got stabil I use it all the time for the old gas.
I have a few friends I can definitely rely on either for bugout locations or communal living if it comes to that.
I can build, live off the land ( hunt fish forage) we garden and are learning to do long term veggy storage. I have talents I can offer to a group and so forth.
if we are on our own I have a some tactical skills that will hopefully save our hydes.
we use a wood stove regularly and I have a back up wood stove in the basement. Which in itself (the basement) is another issue cuz it get's alot of water in the spring time and that sump needs to run...

I do agree having another ally to watch my back would be comforting.

I am in the same boat as most of you I have been getting prepared for the last year and ahalf food supplies ect.. Getting my wife on board has been quite a task even though I think she really realizes what I getting prepared for and no not the zombie apocolyplse but the way the economy is tanking it will defiantly be smarter to get some ducks in order then to depend on someone else. The way I have put it to my wife has been a simple fact "that it is my job to make sure that OUR family is safe and to make sure we are prepared for what ever may happen". And as she has slowly come along the better it has been even though she does give me some crazy looks here and there. But I refuse to be a victim or a satistic and have to rely on GOV to bail me out!

I'm probably not as prepared as a true "prepper" but over the last couple of years I've frequented Costco occasionally and will buy a few items in bulk for the savings as well as to have on hand during an emergency. Staples like rice, canned beans, canned veggies, Gatorade powder, bleach, pasta, tuna, batteries, etc. I didn't tell anyone any reasons other than, "that's a good deal". On "snow days" when no one wants to go food shopping I can always open the closet and make something. I have so much junk in my house and basement I could make do with substitutions for a lot of things like using old newspaper for toilet paper. Most important thing I’ve been doing lately is just organizing all my stuff to the point where I can actually find it when I need it. Plus I have my camping stuff (water purifier, sleeping bags) and a bunch of tools so I feel fine about my situation. I don't see much need to stock pile fuel--it could prolong some comforts but you're never going to have enough anyway. I typically have a couple tanks of propane and what's in my oil tank (could burn it in an alternative device). But once that’s gone I’ll just burn whatever I can find. Oh and candles galore: honey it's the apocalypse, now can we use the good candles? Plus I might have a gun somewhere... [wink]

Last edited:
With my wife, I have found that things go much easier if it is 'her idea to begin with'
With 9-11 she was spooked and started thinking of prepping.
Katrina was what pushed her to suggest I get a gun. 'You know, you are right, I should get a gun' :)
Having a generator and fuel helped alot during the ice storm and did not go unnoticed.
Stealing from Geitner, I never miss an opportunity to point out how unprepared people are when one of these disasters hits the news.

I can tell when I am pushing the limit with her, especially lately with my ranting over the pitiful state of the country. That is when I back off a bit. I would like to be a lot more prepared than I am, but it is a balance of not looking like a lunatic and doing some of it covertly. She'll be mighty thankful if it is ever needed.

Anyone read Patriots by Rawles (same guy that does the survival blog)? Now those guys were prepared.

Anyone read Patriots by Rawles (same guy that does the survival blog)? Now those guys were prepared.
That is what turned me off to the book. There might be a couple hundred (if that) people in the country that are actually prepared to that level. It was unrealistic and reminded me of the old Justice League cartoons where batman always had some obscure thing he needed on his belt.

The book would have been much better in my opinion if the took a group of people with basic preps and went from there.

To: In God We Trust
My calculations show the "Patriots" have 30% chance of surviving 6 months after the Crunch. The average (relatively well prepared) northeatern family has ZERO chance of surviving TWO WEEKS, in my opinion. The book would have been very short...

To: In God We Trust
My calculations show the "Patriots" have 30% chance of surviving 6 months after the Crunch. The average (relatively well prepared) northeatern family has ZERO chance of surviving TWO WEEKS, in my opinion. The book would have been very short...
Did you forget to add the sarcasm smiley?

Gene, unless there is a super flu or a comet strike, I really think that almost everyone will make it at least 6 months, most probably a year unless they are dependent on medications. The big problem I see is the second winter. Most will probably be able to scrape through the first one and then manage to grow, gather, beg, borrow or steal enough to get through the summer. The second winter will kill a massive amount of people because they have no idea how to safely store food that they have hunted or grown.

Even the hordes of "zombies" that people predict spreading out from the cities will pose little threat to a neighborhood that has taken even meager steps to guard against it. After the front rank of the horde catches a wave of lead, the rest will break and not return. I just don't see the possible coming collapse to be as deadly as you think in the short term. Long term, like 2-3 years, probabaly 1/3rd of the country will be dead. the rest will be able to go on indefinately.

Let me put it this way: one senior citizen and 4 teenagers with only mediocre weapons will defeat 90% of northeast homes within 10-15 minutes 90% of the time, in my opinion. And the bulk of remaining 10% of "not-so-successful" attacks will happen because of the competition, not homeowners prowess. I am talking about ordinary suburban houses on 1/2 an acre of land. And many of these attacks will occur BEFORE the Crunch! It is so easy, the cavemen can do it.

Gene how do you come up with these stats? Just curious. Some sort of quantitative supporting theory might help this cave man understand.. I know for a fact I willl survive alot longer than a year..

With my wife, I have found that things go much easier if it is 'her idea to begin with'
With 9-11 she was spooked and started thinking of prepping.
Katrina was what pushed her to suggest I get a gun. 'You know, you are right, I should get a gun' :)
Having a generator and fuel helped alot during the ice storm and did not go unnoticed.
Stealing from Geitner, I never miss an opportunity to point out how unprepared people are when one of these disasters hits the news.

I can tell when I am pushing the limit with her, especially lately with my ranting over the pitiful state of the country. That is when I back off a bit. I would like to be a lot more prepared than I am, but it is a balance of not looking like a lunatic and doing some of it covertly. She'll be mighty thankful if it is ever needed.

Matty I understand about the ranting. i go off at times and I hear this sigh from her.. then I back off and try to put in terms she can understand. When I do I can see the light bulb go on.

Hi, Rancho
These are not stats: they are calculations, based on the BEST scenario, exact tactics and such. I expect the real story will be much worse than my calculations allow for: I am not aware of any case in history with total collapse of society without some catastrophic natural event or a war/revolution. So, the "Patriots" is ridiculously rose scenario, for example. On top of this, all (known to me) cases or prior "events" include fairly clear "waves", usually not touched upon in open literature (except, in somewhat round about way in "Lucifers Hammer"). So, how someone can state a certain survival for, say, a year, without tying it to a certain scenario, location, money issues and such, is beyond me, sorry.

why are you sorry? No need for an apology you are honest and forthright and I for one appreciate it.
I was just curious, by asking I learn and by learning I become more prepared. Remember, chance favors the prepared mind and knowledge truly is power..
I personally have lived off the land and without electricity/running water and "modern" facilities for extended periods. Where I am going, if in a total collapse I can get there, we won't see throngs of people or large groups making their way through.

Yes, it is a good beginning, especially if a state/local gov is good enough and people are independent and well prepared. Are all people are good and well prepared. In a particular place I have in mind, local people are pretty good, but many are poor. And, down in the canyon, half or more of the people are on the dole. What happens when the dole runs out? Hundreds of families, well familiar with local conditions and personally (or thru the rumor) know everyone, and who has what. Opsec is almast meaningless in most places. Every vehicle is known, every trip recorded and discussed etc.

hey folks great thread. just a couple of things I'd like to add. first as a great resource for information and inspiration (if its already been listed I apologies) is it's one of the most level headed survival pod cast/blogs you could ever hope to find. I started listening 2 years ago and started to prep. there after.
the tag line for this show is "things we can do for when times get tough or even if they don't" and the show actually helped get my wife onboard. at first she thought I was nuts, so I backed off a little and had her listen to an episode or two, she then began to come around to it on her own.
When we Neanderthal men talk about prepping we tend to get a little animated and can intimidate the ones we intend to protect, i.e. the worlds gonna end, plague, meteors, etc. and the less likely, although possible the scenario, the more likely we are to be called a nut, but how about the more likely scenario? job loss, power outage,fire, etc. once we focus more on the things that could happen locally and how helpful it would be to have some supplies on hand the more likely the skeptical spouse is to get onboard. plus once my wife found out she could get her "shopping fix" looking for store able foods, I was a hero. (plus her working in a grocery store helps)
the down side is not knowing who to trust. if the s.h.t.f. standing alone agaist the hord is gonna suck, having a small comunity to work with would be invaluable but again how do you trust a group? few have the honor and ethics to take a chance on loosing what you have stocked away for family (especially in todays world)
maybe with enough back and fourth we here could find a way to network resorces through group buys or share info on sales, just find a way to ease the stress of prepairing for the worst and hoping were wrong

Last edited:
That is what turned me off to the book. There might be a couple hundred (if that) people in the country that are actually prepared to that level. It was unrealistic and reminded me of the old Justice League cartoons where batman always had some obscure thing he needed on his belt.

The book would have been much better in my opinion if the took a group of people with basic preps and went from there.

read lights out then!

hey folks great thread. just a couple of things I'd like to add. first as a great resource for information and inspiration (if its already been listed I apologies) is it's one of the most level headed survival pod cast/blogs you could ever hope to find. I started listening 2 years ago and started to prep. there after.
the tag line for this show is "things we can do for when times get tough or even if they don't" and the show actually helped get my wife onboard. at first she thought I was nuts, so I backed off a little and had her listen to an episode or two, she then began to come around to it on her own.
When we Neanderthal men talk about prepping we tend to get a little animated and can intimidate the ones we intend to protect, i.e. the worlds gonna end, plague, meteors, etc. and the less likely, although possible the scenario, the more likely we are to be called a nut, but how about the more likely scenario? job loss, power outage,fire, etc. once we focus more on the things that could happen locally and how helpful it would be to have some supplies on hand the more likely the skeptical spouse is to get onboard. plus once my wife found out she could get her "shopping fix" looking for store able foods, I was a hero. (plus her working in a grocery store helps)
the down side is not knowing who to trust. if the s.h.t.f. standing alone agaist the hord is gonna suck, having a small comunity to work with would be invaluable but again how do you trust a group? few have the honor and ethics to take a chance on loosing what you have stocked away for family (especially in todays world)
maybe with enough back and fourth we here could find a way to network resorces through group buys or share info on sales, just find a way to ease the stress of prepairing for the worst and hoping were wrong

That's precisely my purpose for starting this thread. I really need to know there is a network of people that I/we can rely on to help each other for anything.
I do not dare say militia how about organization?.

I personally think most average people these days have totally lost touch with what is actually going on around them. So when I start talking about all the stuff no one seems to see on the daily news they think I am nuts.. It's as if no one really wants to know whats beyond the dashboard in the car or the front yard of their house.. It's really weird to me.
not only that but I find so many people that have no clue of how to deal with turmoil or emergencies whether its man made or natural even just harsh weather. It's like there's no resolve in their spirits.. I digress , let me get back on point . I would really like to meet and share ideas and form some sort of community.

I used to listen to friends and family saying I was crazy spending my money on things to prepare for any kind of disaster. I remember them giving me crap for spending all my money on Silver bullion a few years back with me arguing that it was way undervalued. Ha! Ive well over doubled my money, almost tripled. I try to push "preparing" mostly as being self-sufficient, having a well, rain barrels, solar panels, a garden, fruit trees, etc these things will all pay for themselves. I always am saying I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

if the s.h.t.f. standing alone agaist the hord is gonna suck, having a small comunity to work with would be invaluable but again how do you trust a group?

Yup. My Bro-in-law is like minded. It would be good if we lived closer. Like next door. Plans would be easier.

I'm with ya. "militias" get too much unwanted attention and while most who would join would be like minded, there is always a few looses screws in any group. besides, anarchy isn't what were talking about, its more about taking care of family when times get tough, putting aside what will be scarce when t.s.h.t.f (for whatever reason).
the beginning would be something like this forum, where ideas and info is exchanged. then possible meet ups at neutral locations i.e. gun shows. I don't want to seem paranoid but one of the reasons we prep is because of the overwhelming numbers of scum bags who would slit your throat over a sandwich

Back
Top Bottom