13 Guns & Thousands Of Rounds Of Ammo Stolen In Hotel Parking Lot

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member

He should REALLY know better...then again, he’s not exactly a Marine ;)

I was helping break down a tent once in the field when I was supposed to be guarding a weapons stack...I was about 10 feet from the stack where the tent was an my SSgt. mosied over and asked who was guarding the weapons...’Me, SSgt.’!

My ass was puckered for at least an hour after that one. There’s getting chewed out, and then there’s getting chewed out by a 4 times deployed veteran of two separate wars, SSgt. Plante...THAT dude could chew some ass!

I learned my lesson about unguarded weapons that day that has probably saved me thousands of dollars and hours worth of paperwork since then.

Last edited:
Of course this lies on the thieves.....but thieves are gonna thieve.

If I had been in his life situation I'd have rented a storage unit in w Virginia and gone back for them after I found a home in San antonio......or.....first stop in San Antonio would have been a self storage facility THEN the hotel. No way in hell I'm leaving guns in an suv parked overnight in a hotel parking lot.

Walking in to a hotel with 13 gun cases in 2021 probably attracts lots of attention

Long-stay hotel. Multiple trips.

Or, just rent one of the smallest closet-sized storage units.

If I had to transport 13 guns + ammo over a long enough distance where I couldn't do it in one 12ish hour non-stop (except for gas) drive, I'd buddy up and get a co-driver or maybe third or fourth driver. There's no way I'd be stopping at hotels or sit down restaurants or touristy things. Drive and sleep in shifts.

That, or hire a moving/logistics company that's overtly gun friendly, like Polaris Logistics, if I was really going far.

Leaving valuables in your car in a hotel parking lot... that's just an extra level of stupid.

In an extended stay-yes.

In a normal stop overnight hotel, it's just a normal travel risk with any parking lot. I have multiple cross country moves and hotel stays with much more than this dude's collection.

I was concerned about that when I was planning my final trip south with the guns and ammo. Since I wouldn't be driving straight through I decided to make some wooden crates with handles for the long guns so I could bring them into the motel room for the night without it looking like "guns".

Some 1x2's, Luan plywood and foam blocks and the long guns were good to go, plus a couple of pistols that I found room for. The rest of the pistols went into a Rubbermaid container, most in their original boxes. They were easily transported to the room on one of the hotels luggage carts. The Ammo was too heavy and bulky so that stayed in the truck buried under other stuff. Of course this only worked because of my relatively small collection.

The veteran says he woke up to a notification on his phone saying his car alarm had gone off ...​
Typical.
Puts the phone on vibrate or cranks down the alarm volume so he can get some sleep.
Car gets broken in to.
He gets some sleep.

A senior engineer (and ham radio operator) where I first worked
had a black box duct taped to the outside of his (glorified cardboard) briefcase.
It was the receiver to a home-brew car alarm.
"No one will break in to my car, hehn-hehn".

In the private parking lot of a facility the size of an aircraft carrier
on an exurban back street,
with the cars fully visible from full-width hip-to-ceiling picture windows -
no trees or other obstructions -
someone breaks in to his car.

No alarm.

The diagnosis was a combination of:
  • I was in a meeting,
  • The battery died on my receiver,
    • -and/or-
  • The dog ate my homework.

... and quickly looked out the window.​
Yeah, shut that barn door.

Long-stay hotel. Multiple trips.

Or, just rent one of the smallest closet-sized storage units.
Hes gunna rent a unit for 1 night unload and reload a packed truck?

Sucks ass for this dude but yeah practicality dictates locking your car should do the trick

Ive done this and im happy it didnt happy to me

If I had to transport 13 guns + ammo over a long enough distance where I couldn't do it in one 12ish hour non-stop (except for gas) drive, I'd buddy up and get a co-driver or maybe third or fourth driver. There's no way I'd be stopping at hotels or sit down restaurants or touristy things. Drive and sleep in shifts.

That, or hire a moving/logistics company that's overtly gun friendly, like Polaris Logistics, if I was really going far.
Did you read the article?

Oooo that's stupid lol yeah when i knew i had a month until my house was ready into a storage unit they went
OTOH, there are plenty of news links on NES that I lately take at face value
from the inlined thumbnail summary. More than once I've made a post based upon
a Bad Assumption about what's going on.[shocked]

I've Jumped to Conclusions; so to speak.

So, I feel your pain. [angry]

Back
Top Bottom