12ga Chamber Adapters

Im probably buying a break action 12ga shotgun soon as a little christmas present for myself and im wondering if anyone has ever used any kind of sub caliber insert in them. It looks sort of cool/novel/fun and possibly practical to be able to take a 12ga and run .22/9mm/20ga otherwise through it.

Anyone ever play with those sorts of things?

I've used 20>28 and 20>410 adapters, Gauge Mates and Lil Skeeters.
I think Brownells may still carry one of them. Cabela's at least used to carry them.

My experience is they work well, they're fun, let me use sub-gauge loads on clays or small upland birds.
I've never patterned them on a board, but I haven't had any issues breaking clays as long as I do my part.

Just checked, Brownells carries a few Lil Skeeters options

i've used them also. i remember using these gizmos called 410ers. you could get them to fit either a 12 ga or 20 ga gun to be able to shoot .410. i've only played with them shooting skeet. fun. i had a set for a 12 that would let me shoot 20 ga from it. personally, i think it's a gimmick but they are a bunch of fun shooting skeet.

Yup, got the Chiappa whole set, .380, 9mm, .357mag/38spl, .40sw, 44mag/44spl, .45acp, .410ga , 20ga. Andt they are the longer rifled ones.
Makes a single break open quite versatile.image.jpeg

It's 18.25 inches if anyone is wondering. [laugh2][cheers]

Last edited:
I don't see the point.
12G target loads are typically cheaper than 20G, 410 or 28G.
We wont even start on how hard to get Sub-gauge rounds are right now.

I don't see the point.
There is fact right there on the cost. In my case I wanted the gun and it came with the tubes. I thought 20 was $$ but .410 is $$$

Full tube sets like Briley, which I have on my 682 Gold E Skeet are the best way to go. From what I have read, the consistency is much better since the improvised barrel carries down the tube. Yes, they are expensive, but I use them for skeet, clays, and 5-stand all the time.

I don't see the point.
He’s also talking about pistol and rimfire. If you have a 12 gauge break action it’s a cheap way to make it a 9mm rifle.
A wise man once told me “The heart wants what the heart wants” or as we tell the kids “don’t yuck someone else’s yum”

I’ve spent more on lunch than what these adapters cost and was thoroughly disappointed sometimes. Well worth a try to have some fun.

Not sure if they are still around but i have 20g chamber mates. For my 12g i bought them to play in 20g games. Fun busted clays as well as my 12g
i used them alot when lead shot was unobtanium back in mid 2000s was loading 5/8oz shot and shooting 16 yd line for league shoot.
There fun and have thier place.

He’s also talking about pistol and rimfire. If you have a 12 gauge break action it’s a cheap way to make it a 9mm rifle.
A wise man once told me “The heart wants what the heart wants” or as we tell the kids “don’t yuck someone else’s yum”

I’ve spent more on lunch than what these adapters cost and was thoroughly disappointed sometimes. Well worth a try to have some fun.
yeah but how accurate can a 9MM or 22LR round be coming out of a smoothbore 12G barrel?

yeah but how accurate can a 9MM or 22LR round be coming out of a smoothbore 12G barrel?
0e6b20cf83190f44b2f18432c1707377.jpg

It doesn’t have anything to do with the 12 gauge barrel really
The adapters are chambers and rifled barrel sections all in one. So imagine shooting your 9mm pistol down a 24” piece of PVC. It would be just as accurate as the pistol without the PVC pipe.

Just checked, Brownells carries a few Lil Skeeters options
Way overpriced compared to what Shortlane sells.

I have. First, I would buy a set of clip on front/rear sights because the POI is going to be way off from where the bead sight will be. Once you can zero the sights, the accuracy is not much different than a single shot rifle.

That said, get inserts that shoot worthwhile calibers, i.e. not .22 or .380. You can get a single shot .22 rifle for almost as much as the insert, but it will be lighter and more reliable. 9mm is fine, but if you already have a PCC in 9mm, kind of pointless. Something like .357, .44 Mag would be a lot better, especially in those 8 inch or longer adapters.

MCA Sports makes 12 gauge adapters in .30-30, .30-40, and .45-70 and if you keep the range to under 150 yards, they're a lot more practical for hunting, but that ammo isn't cheap.

If this is strictly for cheap fun, 9mm (when it's normal times) .40 and .45 ACP and whatever other cheap centerfire ammo you can get is fine. If this is for more than cheap fun, SHTF/TEOTWAKI/Boogerloo, get adapters for common calibers and adapters for working calibers like .30-30, .45-70, .357/.44.

Way overpriced compared to what Shortlane sells.
Depends on how you look at it and your goal.

Shortlane sells 1 adapter for $39.99 and most are for pistol adapters

Lil Skeeters are sold in pairs (Brownells ~$65) and they are shotshell gauge adapters

If you’re looking for the most versatility with a 12 gauge, and you want to shoot other shotshell payloads, then the best purchase you can make is a reloader.

I have proven to myself that you can load any light target payload in a 12 gauge hull.

1-1/8 oz, 1 oz, 7/8 oz, 3/4 oz, and 1/2 oz can all be loaded in 12 gauge hulls without sacrificing performance.

If you’ve got a 12 gauge clay crusher you love but are looking for sub gauge payloads then just load your own.

I have a 10 Ga Winchester 1887. I wanted to get it sleeved to 20 Ga so I can shoot Modern Ammo. If I remember correctly, I don't think Brinley will do 10 Ga.
Maybe a gunsmith/machinist?

Depends on how you look at it and your goal.

Shortlane sells 1 adapter for $39.99 and most are for pistol adapters

Lil Skeeters are sold in pairs (Brownells ~$65) and they are shotshell gauge adapters
Pistol adapters only you say?

IMG_2040__29914.1598012894.1280.1280.JPG

You can get these on sale when Shortlane runs sales in years without a pandemic.

Anyone have experience with Dina arms adapters? I purchased a set of them today. Best practices are to ask for advice prior to purchase but I have bouts of impulse control problems.

Back
Top Bottom