• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

12G slug ?

Are rifled Slugs ok for a cylinder barrel? I already have these and can't remember why I bought them years ago. They are the Remington slugger. Just asking because I ordered a new shotgun after not having one for a long time and found these in my stash.

Thanks.

Rifled slugs are meant specifically for smooth bore barrels. The idea is that since the barrel doesn't have rifling to spin the projectile, the slug has its own rifling to get the stabilizing spin. Have fun!

God the "rifled slugs" are a farse.
There is nothing to be gained by spinning a front heavy stabalized slug.
The "rifling" you think you see on those style slugs is not for spin. Its 2 fold they come out of the swage at the factory like that and they provide a little give to get through chokes.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8p_0LIx2LHI

Last edited:
I have fired these through a smooth bore and at 50 yards was hitting the target. Not grouping but good enough.

The "rifling" you think you see on those style slugs is not for spin. Its 2 fold they come out of the swage at the factory like that and they provide a little give to get through chokes.
I would think they would cause gas cutting similar to an under sized cast bullet no?

They will be perfectly fine. Foster slugs with "rifling" like sluggers are for shooting through smooth bores. They are hollow and expand to fill the barrel but will squeeze through chokes up to full. The rifling doesn't actually cause any spin. They are however fairly accurate through rifled barrels or rifled chokes.

Your good to go.
You might want to sample a few brands to see which are the most accurate out of your barrel.
I've put a lot of venison in the freezer with Winchester 1oz rifled slugs.

Slugs, like other shothshell ammo, (generally) have a wad, to seal in the gas.
Ahh, thats right. I was picturing the rifled slug passing down the barrel and the gas sneaking between the grooves. Forgot about the wad. Not really a shotgun guy (obviously)

My Benelli , M1, Super90, has a smooth bore and plain old, black iron, fixed, sights. Using rifled slugs at 50 yards, firing 3 shot groups, the slug holes consistently touch each other. That's good enough for me. I just use regular old Remington, 2 3/4" standard velocity slugs and don't much care how or why the rifled slugs work.

Last edited:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8p_0LIx2LHI

That's not really true at all. MAnufacturers started making rifled slugs for smooth bore barrels for the purpose of imparting a spin to stabilize. But they found it didn't work. So they stopped making them. Then when they did that people stopped buying their slugs. So they started making them again even though they don't work as originally intended.

So what is the real purpose they sell.... fulfilling the market demand created by the ignorant.

My Benelli , M1, Super90, has a smooth bore and plain old, black iron, fixed, sights. Using rifled slugs at 50 yards, firing 3 shot groups, the slug holes consistently touch each other. That's good enough for me. I just use regular old Remington, 2 3/4" standard velocity slugs and don't much care how or why the rifled slugs work.
Thats outstanding results.

Thats outstanding results.
Yeah. I'm pretty glad I bought it way back when, but my Remington, Light 20 does the same thing. Full disclosure rules are to disclose that the Remimgton has a rifled barrel and fiber optic sights and I use those fancy Hornady slugs for that one. The Remington 20 is accurate much further out than the Smooth bore though. Much less bullet drop for some reason. Maybe the rifled barrel.

That's not really true at all. MAnufacturers started making rifled slugs for smooth bore barrels for the purpose of imparting a spin to stabilize. But they found it didn't work. So they stopped making them. Then when they did that people stopped buying their slugs. So they started making them again even though they don't work as originally intended.

So what is the real purpose they sell.... fulfilling the market demand created by the ignorant.
I will scan the internet for a old NRA publication IIRC it was pre WWII all about Karl Foster and his "new" slug .
i cant really see the groves actually imparting a useful spin.
I also doubt back then the balistic techs would think a few angled slots on a soft lead with a huge meplate would spin.
They simply groved them because of the many different choke sizes out there. Even a full choke compared from one maker to the next can be widely different.
I say go and take a slug out of a round and see just how far it will pass down through your shotgun tube.

buy a few different types and see if any particular brand or style shoot well in your shotty.

Yeah. I'm pretty glad I bought it way back when, but my Remington, Light 20 does the same thing. Full disclosure rules are to disclose that the Remimgton has a rifled barrel and fiber optic sights and I use those fancy Hornady slugs for that one. The Remington 20 is accurate much further out than the Smooth bore though. Much less bullet drop for some reason. Maybe the rifled barrel.
less drop because sabot are "sub caliber " projectiles with a special wad and generally have a traditional bullet design.
I have watched my friends son put 3 rounds of sabot out of his savage 20g rifled barreled bolt action onto a playing card at 200 yards, several times. I forget what hes been using but they run around $4 a shot.

I tend to think these rifle barrel slugs were invented so they could raise the price of sabot slugs to ten dollars a box.

I killed a bunch of deer with cheap remington or brenneke foster slugs out to 75 yards which is pretty much as far as I can see in most spots.

I guess if your shooting on fields or something you might want to try a rifle barrel. But my remington with the rifle barrel does not shoot any better than a smoothie with foster slugs.

My TC does shoot better but its a longer barrel but still much beyond 150 is pushing it. I've heard the Savage is good as well.

The Remington Sluggers will work fine but if they don't produce satisfactory accuracy, try Federal TruBalls. I don't know why but they have produced excellent accuracy in all the smooth bores we've tried.

Rifled slugs are stabilized in the air using the same principle as a shuttlecock. The weight is all forward and the back of the slug is hollow. It doesn’t work nearly as well as spinning the projectile but it’s servicable enough at moderate ranges. The deer hit by one doesn’t know the difference. I wonder how many deer have been killed by them? Has to be way, way into the millions.

When I was in college over 30 yrs ago, my roommate & i use to shoot around local area. My 20 ga Remington 870 mag with ribbed modified choke would throw Rem slugs two feet to left at about 40 yds?! Had we not seem it, we wouldn't believe it! After that i got smooth slug barrel for it and it would keep it inside 10 inch pie plate 50 yds so it worked. I tried few brands of ammo and it made no big difference so i stuck with Rem sluggers. Two years later MA allowed rifled barrels! My luck.

Same buddy got 12 ga Mossberg 500 combo kit and his rifled barrel using sabots Remington Copper all holes touch in golf ball hole at 50 yds. We tried the Rem sluggers, but they were not very good, nor the Winchester or Federal . Rifled barrels are for SABOTS: $4 a round! Otherwise don't complain! Don't believe me, go buy a box of sabots.

I used Browning BPS 20 ga smooth bore iron sights with Brenneke slugs when I hunted for deer: never impressed me and I refused to even shoot 50 yds with it. Luckily on private land, the 270 bolt was OK.

Try different brand slugs in the off season. Stock up on what works. Have few sharp knives to butcher your game.

YMMV.

Same here. The Remington 870 tactical shotgun that I keep for home defense has a modified choke installed and ghost ring sights. I keep it loaded with 1 oz. Winchester Super X slugs and OO buckshot in the extended magazine tube. Works fine for my purposes.

The Remington Sluggers will work fine but if they don't produce satisfactory accuracy, try Federal TruBalls. I don't know why but they have produced excellent accuracy in all the smooth bores we've tried.

also my experience. the federal tru-ball slugs are fantastic out of my 590 smooth bore. with this ammo 100 yard shots can be placed with consistency.

I have a rifled barrel mossberg, with optic. Sabot slugs are pricey, but it’s my shortest barreled shotgun so I like to use it. It’s quite accurate with sabots, but acceptable with rifles slugs too. Some say not to shoot them out of rifles barrel but I haven’t noticed any fouling of the rifling, haven’t put a ton of rifles slugs through it though, just a dozen or so to experiment. If I could turn the rifles barrel into a smooth bore I would. Smoothbore 18” barrel with cantilevered scope mount is a tough barrel to find.

less drop because sabot are "sub caliber " projectiles with a special wad and generally have a traditional bullet design.
I have watched my friends son put 3 rounds of sabot out of his savage 20g rifled barreled bolt action onto a playing card at 200 yards, several times. I forget what hes been using but they run around $4 a shot.[/QUOTE

Yup. I've only fired the Remington, lightweight 20 out to 175 yards because that's as far as my club goes, but the Remington will hit 3" orange, sticky dots, at that distance, bench rested. The Hornady slugs are about $4.00 each, but it's the cheapest part of the hunt.

I tend to think these rifle barrel slugs were invented so they could raise the price of sabot slugs to ten dollars a box.

I killed a bunch of deer with cheap remington or brenneke foster slugs out to 75 yards which is pretty much as far as I can see in most spots.

I guess if your shooting on fields or something you might want to try a rifle barrel. But my remington with the rifle barrel does not shoot any better than a smoothie with foster slugs.

My TC does shoot better but its a longer barrel but still much beyond 150 is pushing it. I've heard the Savage is good as well.

Cranberry bogs are pretty wide opened. That's where I use a rifled barrel.

Most accurate slugsnive ever used in my 20 gauge smooth bore with it on sights is the old remmington buckhammer. Front stabilized lead slug with no "rifling".....just smooth sides. Also patterned outstanding in 12 gauge through my rifles barrel too. I have a few boxes left for deer seasons but you can't find the buckhammer anymore.

Slugs, like other shothshell ammo, (generally) have a wad, to seal in the gas.
I have not seen a foster or breneke slug with a "wad" like there is for lead shot. Theres ususally a wad spacer ...some have the wad attached to the base of the slug.

Back
Top Bottom