1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Excise Tax? Why do we pay this?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SteelShooter, Apr 21, 2011.

1. SteelShooter

SteelShooter NES Member

So I got my excise tax bill in for my car, and it got me wondering where the hell was this tax dreamt up and where does the money go for it. Anyone care to chime in?

2. Admin

Admin Staff Member Administrator

3. blindndead

blindndead Member

To fix all the potholes in Fall River.

Wait they are still there how can this be?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  4. Boghog1

Boghog1 Member

how do you fix potholes in a river?

5. blindndead

blindndead Member

??? how??

EASY:
    Begin the project by removing all the loose pieces of concrete from the hole. Wearing safety goggles, use a cold chisel and a sledgehammer to chop out the crumbling concrete and cut down to sound concrete, roughening the interior surface of the hole. Angle the chisel to undercut the edges of the hole, so that the hole is wider across the bottom than it is across the top. Remove large chunks of broken concrete and sweep out the hole with a stiff broom; flush it thoroughly with water from a garden hose. Then remove standing water with a sponge.

Mix ready-mix concrete according to the manufacturer's instructions; use sand mix for small holes and gravel mix for large or deep ones. Pour the dry mix into a sturdy wheelbarrow and add water; mix the concrete thoroughly with a shovel.

When the concrete is ready to use, quickly pour liquid concrete bonding agent into the hole. Following the manufacturer's instructions and working quickly, spread the bonding agent evenly over the entire inside surface of the hole with a stiff paintbrush; be sure to coat the undercut corners completely. Clean the paintbrush immediately with water.

Fill the prepared hole before the bonding agent dries. Shovel concrete into the hole and trowel it into place, pressing firmly to pack the opening completely full. Mound the surface of the patch slightly above the level of the surrounding concrete and then tamp it firmly down with the back of the shovel. If necessary, add more concrete and tamp again to pack the hole densely.

But thats just me. [smile]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  6. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Dealer

7. CRSIII

CRSIII NES Member

How else can I park in my own driveway???

8. GomerPile

GomerPile Member

Excise tax is a tax on personal property, at least thats how the town views it. The town actually sends forms for businesses to fill out asking about the property owned by the business so they can tax it.

I just got thru spending a year on my towns finance committee. I'm sorry to reaffirm this for you all, but we *are* living in a comunist state. No question about it. If you think that you have control of your tax dollars at town meeting....you dont!

9. Boghog1

Boghog1 Member

sounds way to efficient for government

10. JRyan

JRyan Member

This pisses me off every year.

11. new guy

new guy NES Member

Take a minute and think through how many different taxes you pay in any given day, including those that are billed out on an annual basis. How many taxes are involved in waking up, driving to the gas station and filling up, grabbing a cup of coffee at DD, and driving back home?

12. Bill Katt

Bill Katt NES Member

We pay it because if we don't they make our lives miserable. It's a protection racket of sorts. On a side note, I thought that the valuation that they use for the vehicles was supposed to drop each year. My valuations have been the same for the last few years. However, the condition/value of my vehicles has most certainly dropped. [hmmm]

13. Fsorrent

Fsorrent Member

14. SheepDog_B

SheepDog_B Member

yup, one of the most commie taxes yet.
    ...until the VAT tax was invented

15. john_h

john_h Member

Seriously. Local town's version:

Send big ass truck with 3 DPW workers (maybe 4 if there is a new guy). Youngest always gets dirty part. Patch with either hot patch (if you feel like it) or cold patch (more than likely). Couple good tamps and then you drive to convenience store for scratch tickets and cell phone calls.

Rinse and repeat and maybe bang out 4 in a day.

16. rwl1955

rwl1955 NES Member

Ditto.

17. Amazon

Amazon Member

When they finally do pave a road in our town, I swear as soon as it's done there are orange or white lines on it for it to be dug in to again. No lie. Heaven forbid we can drive down a road for any amount of time w/o dodging pot holes or crappy patch jobs.

18. el duderino

el duderino Member

Supposed to fix potholes, but who knows where the other 90% of the money goes to. I think they messed up this year on my excise, bought a new car last year, its an 07 suv I paid about 15k for and they valued it at 2k. I paid more tax on my 98 jeep, but im not telling them.

19. Dench

Dench Banned

I wrote "Scam tax" in the memo on the check this year that I mailed in.

The roads need to be paved in friggen gold for me to want to have to pay excise tax.

128 on the northshore is a trainwreck, and they have incredible amounts of money to fix the roads but they use it for some asshole to get paid 120,000 to sit in a parking lot.

20. SteelShooter

SteelShooter NES Member

They probably thought it was a 1997! I bought a new car in December.