• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Marlin 795 vs. Ruger 10/22 vs. Mossberg Tactical .22LR

So I have pretty much dwindled down my choices for a .22LR to these three firearms. I have read/listened to/watched many reviews on each gun, so I am now looking for the honest opinion of the people here at NES. Let me explain why these firearms have made it to the final three. Overall I am looking for an inexpensive, accurate, reliable firearm for plinking, target practice, small game hunting. These can all be had for the $150-250 range.

Marlin 795- everything I have seen shows excellent accuracy and reliability. However the aftermarket is not as strong as it is for the 10/22 and it isn't as visually appealing as the Mossy. Also very affordable $150 max minus a $25 rebate.

Ruger 10/22- Seems to be the end all, be all of the .22 rifles. Has a strong aftermarket and is a well proven design. Most people love this gun. About $200+ new if am correct. There are also high cap mags available for this one, unlike the other two.

Mossberg Tactical .22LR- Research led me to believe it is a 702 plinkster slapped inside an AR type platform. Looks great and could be highly customized. This is a newer model from what I see, so I am not very sure of its accuracy or reliability.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated, just looking for the opinions of more experienced shooters on what rifle they think is best.

I'm not sure if you want 22lr specifically, but the marlin 982vs falls into each category you are looking for. It however is 22mag. Synthetic stock ss barrel bolt action. I preferred it over my 10/22 any day of the week

are looking to spend money on the rifle, for example: new trigger, barrel... or are you looking for the best rifle in the $150-$250 price range?

if you are going to re-build the riffle with after market parts, look at the 10/22T (T=target) they come with a really nice target barrel, a nicer trigger, and a nice synthetic stock, adjustable with thumb hole.

I got one of those, all i did was replace the trigger with a KIDD 2 stage trigger. excellent rifle. i would buy another one if they came with iron sights.

So I have pretty much dwindled down my choices for a .22LR to these three firearms. I have read/listened to/watched many reviews on each gun, so I am now looking for the honest opinion of the people here at NES. Let me explain why these firearms have made it to the final three. Overall I am looking for an inexpensive, accurate, reliable firearm for plinking, target practice, small game hunting. These can all be had for the $150-250 range.

Marlin 795- everything I have seen shows excellent accuracy and reliability. However the aftermarket is not as strong as it is for the 10/22 and it isn't as visually appealing as the Mossy. Also very affordable $150 max minus a $25 rebate.

Ruger 10/22- Seems to be the end all, be all of the .22 rifles. Has a strong aftermarket and is a well proven design. Most people love this gun. About $200+ new if am correct. There are also high cap mags available for this one, unlike the other two.

Mossberg Tactical .22LR- Research led me to believe it is a 702 plinkster slapped inside an AR type platform. Looks great and could be highly customized. This is a newer model from what I see, so I am not very sure of its accuracy or reliability.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated, just looking for the opinions of more experienced shooters on what rifle they think is best.

I have 10/22's and also Marlin 795's.

There is a big difference. The 795 is really bare bones. The trigger is pretty bad. The stock sights are pretty bad. I took a dremel to the rear sight to make it more well defined and square.

The 10/22 is a much more refined rifle.

However, the 795 is so damn light and easy to carry. My 10/22's have morphed into really heavy and bulky rifles. Heavy wood stock, heavy barrel, scope etc. 10/22's have the potential to be like that so eventually they get built that way. I have a 10/22T and a 10/22 I built from the ground up.

795's have very little modification potential so you can keep it light and untouched. If I had to take a 22LR camping or just for walking around the woods I'd probably grab the Marlin.

I would go 10/22. The compact model is just 4.5 pounds and comes with fiber optic sights. It's a very light and fun little .22. Or, as Underwhere notes, you can get a heavier target version or build your own to produce just about any form of .22 you want.

I have a 10/22, and when I did an Appleseed, the fellow next to me had a 795, and I got to shoot it. I would go with the 10/22. Mine had a decent trigger and a good barrel right out of the box. After fuxoring the trigger pack, I put in a Volquartsen TG2000. I recently removed the iron sights (had techsites), and put on a small red dot. I don't think the tree rats are safe this coming season [mg]

Yea I have a lot of open land out where I live and I plan on doing my fair share of critter hunting.

The benefit of the 10/22 is you can build it into virtually anything you want it to be.

Out of the box, it's nothing special - moderate reliability, shitty iron sights, and looks like a smaller version of your father's hunting rifle.

BUT, you can turn it into ANYTHING you can: an incredibly accurate tack driver (see the 'ultimate' threads), an affordable, reliable military trainer (see the Appleseed LTR), an evil black rifle in .22LR, a highly revined work or art, or anything in between. You can spend $200 or $1000.

So if you plan on changing or modifying your rifle (anything from a new stock to a complete makeover), go with a 10/22. But if you're going to keep your rifle stock, keep your options open.

I’m biased as I think the 10/22 was the first gun I ever shot. My Uncle gave me my first 10/22, a Target with a stainless steel barrel that still might be my favorite gun. When looking for a .22LR you can't really ask for anything more than the 10/22 brings to the table. It may be more nostalgia than anything else but for me the 10/22 would be the easy choice.

I'll add sig 522 to the mix.

If you like ruger, add SR-22 to the selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Marlin 795 has failures to feed, failures to fire, failures to eject and I can't figure out why. Not sure if you'll have the same luck but this has been my experience. I have tried different lubrication methods, different magazines, reshaping the feed lips on the magazines etc. I cannot figure it out. It's accurate as hell but I can't get it to be reliable.

It is acceptable to own more than one 22 cal rifle. I think I have three. ...( 5 if you count .223 ). I am about to start researching something folding or takedown for the BugOutBag.

But I turned my 10/22 into an Appleseed gun ( they call it a Liberty Training Rifle I believe ). Most fun rifle I own.

If you have an AR, a dedicated .22LR upper is definitely worth considering. My .22LR upper from Spike Tactical is awesome.

It is acceptable to own more than one 22 cal rifle. I think I have three. ...( 5 if you count .223 ). I am about to start researching something folding or takedown for the BugOutBag.

But I turned my 10/22 into an Appleseed gun ( they call it a Liberty Training Rifle I believe ). Most fun rifle I own.

Marlin has one made for this purpose.

I own the 10/22 and love it. I put a 2x red dot on it and a sling. Watch out Appleseed! It is a fast handling and light little gun. It is a great gun to work on yourself and has a whole bunch of aftermarket parts. I have also done a little polishing to the trigger group, hammer, and bolt It was very easy. Awesome gun with lots of options.

Where are you in MA? Have you gotten to shoot any of these yet?

The other option is if you have an AR to get a 22 upper. But that would mean you would have to eventually get another lower.... the never ending saga!

The Savage A22 has a better trigger out of the box than any other .22lr I've seen.
If you don't want to end up having aftermarket envy to get a great trigger , I recommend it.

Yeah, but isn't that Marlin "micro-groovy" rifling worth a mention? A lot of companies are coming out with the equivalent of the "accu-trigger".

marlin/ savage accuracy out of the box is far better per price point in a 10/22 , the marlin/ savage is also easier to strip down for cleaning , I'll take all the previous over availability of aftermarket lego bits

My Marlin 795 has failures to feed, failures to fire, failures to eject and I can't figure out why. Not sure if you'll have the same luck but this has been my experience. I have tried different lubrication methods, different magazines, reshaping the feed lips on the magazines etc. I cannot figure it out. It's accurate as hell but I can't get it to be reliable.

Mine has all kind of failures too. I hate it. The whole inside of the thing looks like they broke it out of the cast/mold, knocked the big chunks off with a screwdriver, and assembled it. I’m exaggerating, but it is tough. To top it off the front site was badly canted out of the box.

My first and last Marlin product.

Last edited:
My first and last Marlin product.

I feel like I need to tip the scales a bit. I have been recently shooting it alot recently and really like my Marlin 795. I had immediately put Tech Sights on it, but otherwise I love the gun, super light weight and plenty accurate for me. Sorry you got a problem child.

Back
Top Bottom