Unless the long gun is C&R and both seller/buyer holds C&R license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you can not FTF any gun across a state line, it must go through at least 1 FFL.

Since MA will not allow the sale of a rifle to a non resident by a FFL and let them walk out the door with it, your choices are:

Go to NH with the rifle to a FFl and transfer it

Send the rifle to a willing FFL in NH via U S Mail.
Note: a non FFL can not send a handgun via U S Mail, just long arms.

Give the rifle to a MA FFL to send to a willing FFL in NH for transfer. This is your most expensive option.

Just wondering: How does a person with a C&R buy or sell a C&R item without involving an FFL, considering that the person is an FFL?

Ken

Just wondering: How does a person with a C&R buy or sell a C&R item without involving an FFL, considering that the person is an FFL?

Ken

Not sure I understand your question but as a C&R (its an "03 FFL") I can buy (and sell) a qualified firearm (over 50years old OR on the list) just like a 01 FFL does,except NOT as a business.
Example, I buy/win a gun that qualifies at a auction in another state,I send funds and copy of my license (signed) and they send me the gun.No dealer needed.I book it in my my bound book and my legal requirement is done.
Hope that helps

An MA resident can sell anything to an NH resident, as long as it goes through a dealer in NH. (NH residents can't buy anything here (even NH residents who have MA nonresident permits!!) so having the buyer come down to you is out of the question).

-Mike

Not sure I understand your question but as a C&R (its an "03 FFL") I can buy (and sell) a qualified firearm (over 50years old OR on the list) just like a 01 FFL does,except NOT as a business.

He was pointing out that a C&R is an FFL. So to say an interstate C&R transaction doesn't have to go through an FFL is technically not true (the person with the C&R is the FFL the transaction is going through). Most people use "FFL" to mean "Dealer", but this is not the actual meaning of FFL.

I thought only the purchaser was required to have the C&R?

Technically, the transaction can take place even if only the seller has a C&R, if it's a C&R long gun, the transaction takes place at the address listed on the C&R certificate, and the transaction is legal in both seller's and buyer's state (which rules out MA C&R holders from ever being able to do it).

(See 27 CFR § 178.96(c)(1)(i))

He was pointing out that a C&R is an FFL. So to say an interstate C&R transaction doesn't have to go through an FFL is technically not true (the person with the C&R is the FFL the transaction is going through). Most people use "FFL" to mean "Dealer", but this is not the actual meaning of FFL.

Got it ! (I think) and you are correct,most people don't know that a C&R is indeed a FFL (03) and think there is only one FFL (dealer 01)type.
We,C&R's, have a bound book just like the dealer and must book in (and out) or acquisitions and dispositions.

Every C&R gun acquired,or disposed of while you are licensed must be booked.

I bought two guns at an auction,a Luger and Prussian Charles Daly,the dealer who was doing the paper work would accept my C&R for the luger but not the Daly (he did not believe it was over 50yrs old-Prussian mind you-not a student of history I guess),I had to do a 4473 on the Daly,but when I brought them home both went in my bound book as they are both C&R guns.

I have also sold guns,C&R that where acquired before I had my C&R,when I sold them I wrote "acquired before license" in the acquisition section.

Last edited:
Every C&R gun acquired,or disposed of while you are licensed must be booked.

While you have a fine answer, I have to admit it was a joke question meant for Pilgrim's benefit (we had a big argument about it a few years back). Ask an ATF agent the question and you'll get an answer. Ask another one, and you'll get a different answer. I have seen multiple "official" letters from the ATF Firearms Technology Branch which have contradicted each other on the matter.

Anyway, your answer is the safest answer.

While you have a fine answer, I have to admit it was a joke question meant for Pilgrim's benefit (we had a big argument about it a few years back). Ask an ATF agent the question and you'll get an answer. Ask another one, and you'll get a different answer. I have seen multiple "official" letters from the ATF Firearms Technology Branch which have contradicted each other on the matter.

Anyway, your answer is the safest answer.

Thanks ! I agree asking a ATF agent and you may well get different answers,they have all been very polite and business like when I call them but would not depend on their answer to keep legal thou.

I suspect my actions with my C&R FFL are indeed the safest I can come up with,to some over safe.My problem is I have taken a liking to imported beer and sex with women,its my understanding that neither are available in the Federal Prison system so I am very careful when I deal with the DOJ.

Back
Top Bottom