124 grain 9mm plus p and plus p plus ammo safe?

When I first got into shooting I was doing a lot of reloading with 38 357 and 44 mag. Was really making some very hot loads and created IMO a very unreliable Model 66. These loads were all by the book but the steady diet of them I believe caused problems.

No way would I do this with a plastic framed gun today.

I posted earlier about exercising caution with hot loads, but to me the frame material is not a particular concern. I am thinking more about the overall construction of the gun. If a polymer framed 9mm is built on a frame that is also used for .40 S&W and .357 SIG, then I would not be too concerned about the strength of the frame.

Would you guys be confident using this Federal in a ‘91 Beretta 92fs, Glock 17 G4, and Ruger PCC?

The Ruger PCC is a blowback action. I don't have time to research the recommended ammo for the PCC right now, but in general blowback actions are much less suitable for hot rounds than locked breech actions. I would not feed any blowback action +P+ ammo unless I was certain the action was heavy enough for it.

Found this in the manual:

AMMUNITION
The RUGER® PC CARBINETM is chambered for, and designed to properly function with, only factory loaded 9mm Luger (Parabellum) standard, high velocity, or +P ammunition, manufactured to U.S. industry standards.
Use only such factory ammunition in good condition that exactly matches the caliber of your rifle that is rollmarked on the barrel.

I’m sure using +P+ would be OK but I’ll research some more.

Found this in the manual:

AMMUNITION
The RUGER® PC CARBINETM is chambered for, and designed to properly function with, only factory loaded 9mm Luger (Parabellum) standard, high velocity, or +P ammunition, manufactured to U.S. industry standards.
Use only such factory ammunition in good condition that exactly matches the caliber of your rifle that is rollmarked on the barrel.

I’m sure using +P+ would be OK but I’ll research some more.

You might find +P+ a bit too hot in the PC Carbine. I fired about 5 rnds of the Hirtenberger +P+ subgun ammo in mine just to see how it handled it and it was too hot for my comfort. Noticeably more recoil and as heavy as it is, the bolt was slamming back in the receiver.

I've decided that +P+ ammo is not suitable for my Ruger rifle. Conversely, the Uzis which I normally shoot the stuff out of have a massive bolt and a thickly chambered barrel that can handle the Hirtenberger all day long.

All I can say is be cautious with your experimentation.

You might find +P+ a bit too hot in the PC Carbine. I fired about 5 rnds of the Hirtenberger +P+ subgun ammo in mine just to see how it handled it and it was too hot for my comfort. Noticeably more recoil and as heavy as it is, the bolt was slamming back in the receiver.

I've decided that +P+ ammo is not suitable for my Ruger rifle. Conversely, the Uzis which I normally shoot the stuff out of have a massive bolt and a thickly chambered barrel that can handle the Hirtenberger all day long.

All I can say is be cautious with your experimentation.

Hirt is a whole order of magnitude above most +P+ ammo, though. I'd call it more like +p+++++ lol. 124gr @ 1330 fps + out of a pistol!

Hirt makes typical +P+ like pble, ra9ta, etc, look "normal" in comparison.

-Mike

Hirt is a whole order of magnitude above most +P+ ammo, though. I'd call it more like +p+++++ lol. 124gr @ 1330 fps + out of a pistol!

-Mike

At 1330 fps Hirt 124 gr. is 55 fps faster than ra9ta, 127 gr. at 1275 fps.

At 1330 fps Hirt 124 gr. is 55 fps faster than ra9ta, 127 gr. at 1275 fps.

The L7A1 ammo is faster than 1330. Someday I'll chronograph some out of an Uzi and post the results.

-Mike

Yes, it's noticeably faster cycling in an Uzi.

If you want a more powerful round you should have just got the .40...
[flame]

That makes too much common sense. They'd rather use a non-standardized +P+ rated caliber for which there are no SAAMI specs, so they're relying on the different +P+ manufacturers to make these rounds safe even though they come with different pressure ratings. If you ask different gun manufacturers, some will say it's okay in limited use and others will say no f**king way (most likely based on liability issues). In the case of gun manufacturers that say limited use, what is the definition of limited use? Hint - no one knows.

That makes too much common sense. They'd rather use a non-standardized +P+ rated caliber for which there are no SAAMI specs, so they're relying on the different +P+ manufacturers to make these rounds safe even though they come with different pressure ratings. If you ask different gun manufacturers, some will say it's okay in limited use and others will say no f**king way (most likely based on liability issues). In the case of gun manufacturers that say limited use, what is the definition of limited use? Hint - no one knows.

I would venture a guess that +P+ ammo is marketed for people who know their guns will handle it, like owners of open bolt subguns with heavy bolts. I've fired Hirtenberger in my Glock 19 and in three rounds I knew that its too hot for the gun.
My Ruger P85 will eat it also and shoot it flat point of aim at 100yds. No other 9mm ammo I've ever shot out of that pistol will do that.

I would venture a guess that +P+ ammo is marketed for people who know their guns will handle it, like owners of open bolt subguns with heavy bolts. I've fired Hirtenberger in my Glock 19 and in three rounds I knew that its too hot for the gun.
My Ruger P85 will eat it also and shoot it flat point of aim at 100yds. No other 9mm ammo I've ever shot out of that pistol will do that.

I should have been more specific when I wrote this as I was thinking more in line with smaller guns such as a Kahr PM9 or a Shield .45, etc., so I was careful not to be caliber specific.

I'm not surprised that a larger gun like the Ruger P85 easily eats +P+ ammo. After all, it's a large gun that was originally developed for the military to use the 9mm NATO round that is normally loaded close to or at slightly higher pressures than +P specs.

Last edited:
speer_9mm.jpg

I carry this in my G26 and every time I cycle through the ammo at the range, no issues. Shoots slightly bigger groups than Winchester White Box but still on target.

Back
Top Bottom