1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

124 grain 9mm plus p and plus p plus ammo safe?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nordic alien, Jun 7, 2019.

1. straightshooterjake

straightshooterjake

I posted earlier about exercising caution with hot loads, but to me the frame material is not a particular concern. I am thinking more about the overall construction of the gun. If a polymer framed 9mm is built on a frame that is also used for .40 S&W and .357 SIG, then I would not be too concerned about the strength of the frame.

The Ruger PCC is a blowback action. I don't have time to research the recommended ammo for the PCC right now, but in general blowback actions are much less suitable for hot rounds than locked breech actions. I would not feed any blowback action +P+ ammo unless I was certain the action was heavy enough for it.

2. djbradles

djbradles NES Member

Found this in the manual:

AMMUNITION
    The RUGER® PC CARBINETM is chambered for, and designed to properly function with, only factory loaded 9mm Luger (Parabellum) standard, high velocity, or +P ammunition, manufactured to U.S. industry standards.
    Use only such factory ammunition in good condition that exactly matches the caliber of your rifle that is rollmarked on the barrel.

I’m sure using +P+ would be OK but I’ll research some more.

3. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

You might find +P+ a bit too hot in the PC Carbine. I fired about 5 rnds of the Hirtenberger +P+ subgun ammo in mine just to see how it handled it and it was too hot for my comfort. Noticeably more recoil and as heavy as it is, the bolt was slamming back in the receiver.

I've decided that +P+ ammo is not suitable for my Ruger rifle. Conversely, the Uzis which I normally shoot the stuff out of have a massive bolt and a thickly chambered barrel that can handle the Hirtenberger all day long.

All I can say is be cautious with your experimentation.

djbradles and mrmike7189 like this.
  4. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Hirt is a whole order of magnitude above most +P+ ammo, though. I'd call it more like +p+++++ lol. 124gr @ 1330 fps + out of a pistol!

Hirt makes typical +P+ like pble, ra9ta, etc, look "normal" in comparison.

-Mike

djbradles, mrmike7189 and M60 like this.
  5. M60

M60 NES Member

At 1330 fps Hirt 124 gr. is 55 fps faster than ra9ta, 127 gr. at 1275 fps.

drgrant likes this.
  6. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

The L7A1 ammo is faster than 1330. Someday I'll chronograph some out of an Uzi and post the results.

M60 likes this.
  7. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan

If you want a more powerful round you should have just got the .40...
    [flame]

8. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

Yes, it's noticeably faster cycling in an Uzi.

9. Glockster30

Glockster30 NES Member

That makes too much common sense. They'd rather use a non-standardized +P+ rated caliber for which there are no SAAMI specs, so they're relying on the different +P+ manufacturers to make these rounds safe even though they come with different pressure ratings. If you ask different gun manufacturers, some will say it's okay in limited use and others will say no f**king way (most likely based on liability issues). In the case of gun manufacturers that say limited use, what is the definition of limited use? Hint - no one knows.

10. mrmike7189

mrmike7189

Agree...everyone should be buying 40's right now. The price of a used Police trade in 40 is insane !

Glockster30 likes this.
  11. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

I would venture a guess that +P+ ammo is marketed for people who know their guns will handle it, like owners of open bolt subguns with heavy bolts. I've fired Hirtenberger in my Glock 19 and in three rounds I knew that its too hot for the gun.
    My Ruger P85 will eat it also and shoot it flat point of aim at 100yds. No other 9mm ammo I've ever shot out of that pistol will do that.

Glockster30 likes this.
  12. Glockster30

Glockster30 NES Member

I should have been more specific when I wrote this as I was thinking more in line with smaller guns such as a Kahr PM9 or a Shield .45, etc., so I was careful not to be caliber specific.

I'm not surprised that a larger gun like the Ruger P85 easily eats +P+ ammo. After all, it's a large gun that was originally developed for the military to use the 9mm NATO round that is normally loaded close to or at slightly higher pressures than +P specs.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    Uzi2 likes this.
  13. bsaks

bsaks NES Life Member NES Member

I have a few rounds lf L7A1 and other +P+ stuff if anyone wants to trade?

14. djbradles

djbradles NES Member

Ok here we go with the Federal 9BPLE +P+

@drgrant

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Uzi2 likes this.
  15. GM-GUY

GM-GUY NES Member

[​IMG]
    I carry this in my G26 and every time I cycle through the ammo at the range, no issues. Shoots slightly bigger groups than Winchester White Box but still on target.

Dradian likes this.