Beretta A400's

I've been considering a Beretta semi-auto for a while. I'd love anyone's feedback on the A400 series. I'm specifically looking at the following four models but any feedback would be welcome (or a non-bias description of the Lights v. Unicos).

Beretta A400 Xplor Light 12GA, 3"
Beretta A400 Xplor Light KO 12GA, 3"
Beretta A400 XPLOR UNICO, 12GA, 3.5"
Beretta A400 XPLOR UNICO KO, 12GA, 3.5"

It would be used for hunting & trap - mostly hunting.

Thanks

The A400 is a 391 on steroids. Certainly a nice gun that feels good in the shoulder (to me) and should perform just as well as previous Beretta semis... However, I would consider a 391 as they're significantly cheaper and are great guns.

The A400 is a 391 on steroids. Certainly a nice gun that feels good in the shoulder (to me) and should perform just as well as previous Beretta semis... However, I would consider a 391 as they're significantly cheaper and are great guns.

I'll even go one model older and recommend the A390. I have 3, two 12's and a 20. One of the 12 gauges is approaching the 90 to 100,000 round count. No I'm not exaggerating. The only issues I have had was the link at the back of the bolt broke (while waterfowling) and the recoil spring in the stock got pretty rusted up (lots of saltwater in its life). The link was replaced by an upgraded Rich Cole part and the recoil spring was replaced with a Sure Cycle. I have seen them up at Kittery, used, for under $500. Both sporting and field models. Other than a Model 12 Winchester it is my favorite shotgun to shoot.

Thanks for the information, guys.

I've heard great things about the Winchester SX3 but I tried one on for size at KTP and it didn't fit me very well. I loved the Beretta 391 but wanted to get people's take on the 400. I haven't priced the difference between the 400 and 391 (or 390) but they all seem fantastic from what I've read and felt.

Keep the opinions coming (and feel free to add Benelli's models to the mix). :)

Thanks

The 391 is the only semi-auto field gun I'll ever need... although I might pick up a 390 as a loaner if I find a nice deal.

The 391 is the only semi-auto field gun I'll ever need...

Just to be 100% clear, I don't need any of these :) but it's great to hear that it will be a while before I outgrow a 391, if ever.

So is the general thought consensus that the 391 is 95% of what the 400 is, for 75% (or so) of the price? I'm wondering if the splurge is worth it.

Thanks

The A400 is probably THE top of the line semi-auto out there, but I'm not sure the price difference is justified. I do want one, though.

I wanted to revive this thread to see if any more people had experience with the A400. Im debating between the xplor, xcel or the Teknys 391. I will most likly not hunt with this gun, so for pure goofing around shooting clays and trap.

Also does anyone know of a bertta dealer in the area? I know Bass Pro has a few, just curios if people have seen them around. Im sure I could have FS order one as well..

thanks.

Kittery is a Beretta Dealer. I bought a lightly used Beretta A390ST, manufactured in 1992, for $465. Great gun.

Back
Top Bottom