• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Green boxes, +1's and Reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pretty boxes:
On the left hand side of your screen underneath each posters Username are a series of green rectangles
reputation_pos.png
, red rectangles
reputation_neg.png
or gray rectangles
reputation_balance.gif
which represent that users reputation on these forums. The green rectangles are good/positive accumulations of reputation, the red being a bad/negative reputation accumulation, with the gray being a balanced or 'Null' reputation.

Everyone starts off with a single green rectangle and as they accumulate additional reputation points on the forums additional rectangles are added to the row. For the most part you will see users with 1
reputation_pos.png
or 2 green rectangles
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
, sometimes you will see users with over 10 green rectangles.
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png

You may also see this in reverse as some users may have their reputation negated and the row of rectangles will be red
reputation_neg.png
reputation_neg.png
instead of green. Generally seeing this is rare, someone with more than 2 red rectangles is likely *banned from the forums. *see note at bottom.

The grey reputation rectangle
reputation_balance.gif
covers two groups of users:
1) New users who have not posted enough on the forums or have not received enough reputation points which they could give out for reputation are considered neutral.
2) Users who were in the negative but turn their lives around, wise up, find religion, or whathaveyou and start to accumulate positive points. Their negative points slowly become canceled out by their new positive points, right in the middle they become neutral which is gray.

Hover over anyones reputation rectangles and it will show you their reputation level.

How to use the reputation system:
When you are reading a thread you will notice again on the left hand side underneath the username and other misc information are two icons.
reputation-40b.png
= Reputation and
report-40b.png
= Report.

If you strongly agree or disagree with that poster you can add to or subtract from their reputation points by clicking the
reputation-40b.png
. From there a pop up will ask you:

What do you think of username''s post?

street_cred.png

Here you select via the two radio buttons if the point you are giving will be positive by selecting Approve or negative by selecting Disprove. The comment box is where you can leave a comment for the user to see if they happen to check their reputations.

Positive reputations points do not need the comment box filled in though it is wise to do so, be it informal such as 'I agree.' or complex like 'I find your pontification on the item in question to be secularly delightful...' its up to you. However negative reputation points must be filled in, try not to stoop to insults in the negative field, again its up to you. Just realize you can be called on it by that user and comments in that box are still subject to the Code of Conduct of this website.

Horrible posts!
Also underneath the username and to the right of the reputation buttin is a report button
report-40b.png
use this icon to report that particular post to the Administrators or Moderators. This is not to be used for posts that you disagree with, for that you'll have to post in the thread or use the reputation system, the report button is used for bad images, threatening language or items that violated the site's Code of Conduct.

Lets bring the focus back to me.
You can check your reputation by looking at your username in a thread, you will see a series of green rectangles. They take awhile to accumulate but you can monitor them by looking at them in your user settings page. (CLICK ME)

On that page you will see any threads you are subscribed to and also your latest reputation points. The page is dynamic so as you read the threads you are subscribed to they will disappear from that page until someone posts in them again. The reputation displayed will be your latest so as you accumulate more reputation points the newest ones only will be displayed.

If you posted in a thread and are re-reading your post you can click the
reputation-40b.png
button on that specific post to see what rep points you received for it. (credit to atmay)

Misc
The culture here is that most people give negative rep points sparingly and only in extreme circumstances.

Very true. Don't hide behind the reputation system if you disagree with someone. Post your viewpoint in the thread and then use the rep system. Just a pointer, you dont have to live by it.

Sometimes I see +1, +2, +10 as replies in threads. What do they mean?
+1 is an indication that the person who posted it agrees with the thread or the post that they are quoting. Sometimes as users accumulate additional reputation points the points that they give are higher. Someone with 1 green box gives 1 point or +1, someone with 2 green boxes gives 2 points and so on. The caveat to this is that sometimes someone may post a +x but not actually give a reputation point. Consider it to be forum lingo with the occasional bonus when someone actually gives you a reputation point in addition to posting the +x in the thread.

How can I increase my reputation?
Post, post and post. Not: Spam, spam and spam. When you take part in the community and the many discussions you will find that you get to know people, help increase the value and knowledge in the community, make friends and on occasion may be drawn out of the house to a local shoot or meet. As people get to know you they may rep you or as people get to know you they may never rep you, find a balance.

*I see the hilarity in posting this thread with the hundred negative reps under my username. That rep level was Admin set by Derek and was done with some behind the scenes humor. If you hover over it you'll see instead of a description it says my username. Its harmless, I'm still one of the good guys. [wink]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom