• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

12 Gauge slugs ,what do you use or experiences with them

I mounted a fully rifled barrel on my Remington 1100 2 3/4' 12 gauge and read that shotguns in general can be finicky when it comes to slugs in rifled barrels. I previously hunted with smoothbore and used and have on hand alot of Brennekes slugs and a couple of BRI sabots.

I initially could only find Lightfield Hybrid EXP's in 2 3/4" so I grabbed a couple of boxes and left. I ended up near Bass Pro on some errands so I bought a box each of Remington Copper Solids, Winchester Supreme Partion Golds and Hornady SST's.

We were running out of light so we only shot to 50 yards. The lightfields which were the cheapest and which I had plenty of shot horrible huge larger than pie plate size. I shot the Copper solids and 2 in the bull and one in the 9. The Winchesters ,HOLY CRAP! 3 shots all touching and the spotter yelling WHOA,HOLY SH_T! give me 2 more, and all very tight. The hornaday's so so. figures the best of the bunch the most expensive and the hardest kicking..The Copper Solids very close in performance.

That is pretty much what we saw with my fathers Mossberg 500. His liked the Hornady SST's the best. The copper solids produced what I would call a pattern not a group.

I never replaced my smoothbore barrel for the following reasons: cost, added weight to the weapon, and for the hunting I do I don't need the extra range.

Bob

I am shooting 3" Winchester partitions out of a 12ga Benelli M2. They shoot great out to distances farther than I would ever need in the areas I hunt.

I helped sight in my buddies Mossberg 500 w/ fully rifled barrel several yrs back. He shot some groups w/ different ammo at 50 yds and the Remington Copper Sabots were all just about touching each other. We tried some std foster style slugs, but it liked the sabots the best. There are several brands of sabots available now so you just have to bit the bullet and try a box of each to find out what is good.

Reality is there is no free lunch. You need to shell out some $ to find out what works best in YOUR set up. For example I know several Ruger 22/45 shooters and each of us has success with different brands of ammo. No two are a like, LOL.

Down side is sabots aren't cheap to test (~$3 to 4 per shot)! Good luck on your quest for rifle like accuracy out of your shotgun.

For my Particular 1100 I think Winchester Supreme Partition Golds are it's favorite load, with the Remington copper Solids a second if I had to choose an alternate. I just need to find the best source around here for them.

I helped a buddy sight in his rifle barreled shotgun last weekend. He tried several brands that we had on hand.
The 2 3/4 inch Brenneke Black Magic slugs did very well. He was able to shoot a 4 inch group at about 80 yards. They are not very expensive either.

That said, I still shoot an 1100 with a smooth bore slug barrel. I use the Brenneke Classic slugs with the felt wad. I got a doe this morning at about seventy yards and another tonight at about 60. Both one shot kills with iron sights.

Anything with a Sabot is going to do pretty well around here I seem to find Remington Copper solids, Hornady SST and Federal with Barnes Expander

Every gun is a little different. Some like one brand of slugs better than others.

I have a mossberg trophy slugster and am shooting the lightfield commander IDS in 3" This is what it does at 125 yards.

guntarget.jpg

Remington Copper Solid sabots out of a Mossberg 9200 with a rifled barrel. Dead on @ 100yds, have tried other brands, and I'm sure they work, but this combination works best for me. As other have said, it's all what works for your gun and particular set-up.

Remington copper solid sabots shoot the best out of my 1100, i shot a deer running straight away, hit him in the spine, the hole from the slug was almost as big as my fist, and all the copper pedals from the slug were scattered threw the meat,the base of the slug stayed intact, they are basically hollow points. i think there a little over kill for a deer but they shoot the best out of my gun, i spent a lot of $$$ on other slugs that didn't perform well. since then i found Remington sluggers that say on the box there safe to shoot out of a rifled barrel, i shot a couple and they shoot very well out of my rifled barrel, and there cheap, i use them as a back up supply,but next year I'll be looking for new sabots to try,if that don't work out i'm going back to my smooth bore barre,l its been deadly for the last 30 years and it shoots as good as the rifled barrel, with a plain old 2 3/4 slug 1 once slug for less than 1/2 the $$

I'm new to this, but have had very good luck with the Hornady SST's, and the Remington Premier Accutip bonded sabot slugs. Both were very accurate at the range. I used the Accutips to shoot my very first buck last Friday. Dropped him in his tracks.

I had the same trouble. I have a mossberg 500 fully rifled. I use fusion 3 inch slugs and they work great

Back
Top Bottom