12 gauge side by side

Im looking for a 12 gauge side by side for pheasent and goose hunting. My price range is 150 to 210. Does anybody know any dealers in massachusetts have one for that price thanks.

Where are you located? I'm sure any gunshop has a few oldies leaned against the corner somewhere looking for a new home.

Q- Why a cheapie double? Nostalgia? You can get a nice modern pump with interchangeable chokes for that much.

I do not know where you would find one. I stumbled on one on consignment at Four Seasons and made an offer of 250$ and it was accepted.

I think collectors coin had one but it was priced around 450$ (more the current market)

Most folks are drawn to the O/U rather than the SXS. I would just start shopping around.

My cousin has a Stoeger that seems to work well.

Unless you're a double afficionado, and know what your'e looking for in terms of surprises, if you're buying used, have it checked out.

Make sure the breech is tight, and that there's not excessive wear to the locking parts. The barrels on doubles are much thinner than on an auto or pump, or even a single-barrel, and are susceptible to being dented in the field more than a thicker barrel.

There were a LOT of "lower-end" doubles made, under many different names, that were intended to be used, and used hard. They were.

It's unlikely that a gun made after 1920 will have damascus barrels, but you should make sure that they're not.

aside from that, good hunting!

ETA: For a field gun, especially for upland birds, a well-balanced double is, IMO, the nicest gun to have.

Last edited:
I like side by sides and im good shoting with them. My uncle has two i shoot. I all ready have mossberg 500 pump and a stoeger condor over and under.

Q- Why a cheapie double? Nostalgia? You can get a nice modern pump with interchangeable chokes for that much.

I agree.
A low-end SxS that's right for pheasants will not be suitable for geese.
Goose hunting requires a tighter choke than a pheasant gun, plus it has to be rated for steel shot.
A good used pump gun with interchangeable chokes is a much better compromise for both tasks.

Back
Top Bottom