• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

12 gauge ammo choice???

let just say you had a black bear in your yard and you had to take it out. you grab your 12 gauge and you have in front of you 3 in mag slugs and 2 3/4" copper sabots. which would you load up with? those are your only choices. please dont reply saying my 5.56 ar. this happened this weekend to a friend.

I'd pick the first one at hand, and would put a hole in it if it was needed. Think about it, you can put one down with a .22.

(Before any armchair jockeys has something to say about the .22, I have two old butchering manuals that have locations to use a .22 to slaughter trapped or "raised" bears.)

Fat_man.jpg

Accept no substitutes.

I don't like What if's. But I will play along.
I know for a fact the the 3in. mag slugs will roll a seasoned shooters eyes like a slot machine. Shot some one time out of a pump gun, NEVER AGAIN. 2 3/4" is more than enough and will do the job quite nicely and allow for a follow up shot if need be.

well my buddy has a reoccurring bear issue at his house and im sending up my 12 gauge and trying to figure out what to send up to him. ill send up the sabots thanks. sorry to have had phrased it like a what if. hopefully he sends me back a nice rug.

I don't like What if's. But I will play along.
I know for a fact the the 3in. mag slugs will roll a seasoned shooters eyes like a slot machine. Shot some one time out of a pump gun, NEVER AGAIN. 2 3/4" is more than enough and will do the job quite nicely and allow for a follow up shot if need be.

ahhh girl

3in mag slugs will destroy that thing, but seriously my 17hmr is plenty im a perfect shot so i would put one right in its eye. Dead bear done deal.

you wanted to play what ifs.

I have a few boxes of 3" 1 1/4 oz 1600fps slugs. These are better suited for disabling a vehicle than shooting an animal. That being said, I would use whatever I had, the extra 20% energy is going to be wasted anyways, as either slug will likely leave an exit wound. I would say 2 3/4 rifled lead slugs is all you need. 3 inch slugs are just punishing, I would much rather shoot my Smith 360PD with full house 125grainers.

OP, either one ought to do the job. If the gun is light and/or the shooter inexperienced/bad under pressure/recoil shy, I'd say go with the 2 3/4"...but for when you absolutely, positively have to kill [strike]every motherf****er[/strike] charging bear in the room...or if you've got something that soaks recoil and you're in a truly defensive situation where you don't care about a pelt, the 3" will DEFINITELY get the job done.

I need to get me some of those...You ever shoot them? How do they compare to 3 1/2" 00 buck loads?

Back
Top Bottom