(12 ga) (2 3/4) (1 oz) (7 1/2) Target Loads

Most Dicks Sporting Goods I go into the remington gun club target loads are $7 a box......picked up a case of 10 for ......yup......you guessed it......$70 so no discount for bulk purchase.

- - - Updated - - -

Deer,

Most 12 ga target loads are 1 1/8 ounce (Max legal for Trap); and with current pricing $60 is bit low.

Last time I saw "value" shells, it was $65.

Most target loads I see for sale are 1 oz like remmy gun club target loads or winchester light target loads or even the rio brand.....all 1 oz. All the 1 1/8 oz loads I see are labled as "AA" or competition target by federal brand and those run $8 or $9 per box .

Last edited:
Most Dicks Sporting Goods I go into the remington gun club target loads are $7 a box......picked up a case of 10 for ......yup......you guessed it......$70 so no discount for bulk purchase.

- - - Updated - - -

Most target loads I see for sale are 1 oz like remmy gun club target loads or winchester light target loads or even the rio brand.....all 1 oz. All the 1 1/8 oz loads I see are labled as "AA" or competition target by federal brand and those run $8 or $9 per box .

Thanks all, I was trying to see if I could beat the price what my club charges. $7 for shells. Most trap players who shoot regularly reload but I'm not ready to make that investment.

The economics of reloading have changed, too, mostly due to the price of shot. If you can roll your own for less than $5.50/box, you're doing well, these days.

here's a way to figure the "bad news"....

Reloading Cost Calculator

I've reserached reloading myself as well and came up with just over $5 a box.......a savings of $2 a round of trap will take me WAY to long to justify the purchase of the equipment so currently I'm happy with paying $7 a round for my ammo.

Its tough to justify reloading based on cost alone. The fact that I had to drive to 3 different stores to find a case worth of shotshells and not even what I wanted(applies to pistol and rifle ammo also) drove me nuts. Time and fuel saved has more than made up for the cost of reloader. Key to reloading is you must buy in bulk. Several thousand primers and wads and few hundred lbs of shot( currently not many deals on shot) 42$/25# bag last I heard on bulk. Uh through club.
Also key point of reloading is making exactly what you want. From plush 3/4oz practice loads to full blown 1 1/8th loads for the 27 yard line....if you think you need it. You can also make any type of load you desire at the limit of your equipment.
I love my home made slug loads. I use them for the 50 yard slug shoots we have at club. I make them soft compared to the 1600fps that the Remington slugsters run....

The economics of reloading have changed, too, mostly due to the price of shot. If you can roll your own for less than $5.50/box, you're doing well, these days.

here's a way to figure the "bad news"....

Reloading Cost Calculator

Unless you need (want) designer loads in 12 and 20 GA, reloading is really for sub gauges.

I roll my own .410 and 28GA, the savings there are huge. $3/bx reloads vs. $11/bx for factory new.

Simply put, if you're just throwing lead down range, you'll need to find $25 a bag lead (or less) to save enough money in 12 and 20 GA

Unless you need (want) designer loads in 12 and 20 GA, reloading is really for sub gauges.

I roll my own .410 and 28GA, the savings there are huge. $3/bx reloads vs. $11/bx for factory new.

Simply put, if you're just throwing lead down range, you'll need to find $25 a bag lead (or less) to save enough money in 12 and 20 GA

So based on my reading the boards it sounds like I should stay with my club which charges $10 for 25 shells and 25 clays.

If you shop hard you should be able to buy promotional shells (Remington gun club, federal top gun, estates, etc) for $6 or less per box. At that price, I'd just buy them.

Dicks used to run various sales that could get you down to about $5.30 a box. Buy everything you can get your hands on at that price if you find them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So based on my reading the boards it sounds like I should stay with my club which charges $10 for 25 shells and 25 clays.

Yes.....clubs I go to for public trap practice get 3 or 4 bucks a round if you provide your own shells so you are really paying 6-7 bucks a box with that deal. They definately are not screwing you at that price!

I have five boxes (25 shells/box) of 2.75" 1 1/8 oz Gun Club Target loads.

3 #8's
1 # 7 1/2
1 #9

Been in my cabinet for a couple years (cool & dry). I don't shoot skeet or trap. If you can't find it & they're of value to you, make me an offer.

Cash or trade for equivalent value of .223, 9mm, or .45ACP.

(I will comply with all laws blah blah blah...)

I'm in Grafton.

"holy have to fill my trunk batman". Yup that settles it I'm going to Dicks after work today.

That's a tough nut to crack these days.

The last last order I was in on [100 flats] of the same load just barely got down to $60 a flat with shipping [which is the killer].

Try Al's in Derry NH. I've bought those loads in volume from there. He'll either have hundreds of cases, or none. He goes through a lot of shotgun target ammo, often selling in volume to clubs.

Back
Top Bottom