12/11/19 - Good Guy with Gun Thwarts Robber with Knife in Newton MA (with Video)

NHCraigT

NES Member
Newton police officer nabs armed robbery suspect after witnessing crime while shopping

.... a man in a hoodie walked in brandishing a knife and demanding cash. Tempesta, watching the scene unfold from the corner then jumps into action and drawing his gun and demanding the suspect step aside. The two engaged in a brief struggle and merchandise went flying as Patel ran in to help ....

(Video at the Link)

LINK: Newton police officer nabs armed robbery suspect after witnessing crime while shopping

What would you guys have done if you were in this situation (the good guy with the gun, not the one robbing the place)? On one hand, I'd like to do a good deed. On the other hand, I could see it going south real fast for a gun owner, particularly in Newton.

What would you guys have done if you were in this situation (the good guy with the gun, not the one robbing the place)? On one hand, I'd like to do a good deed. On the other hand, I could see it going south real fast for a gun owner, particularly in Newton.

Do you mean if the officer weren't there? Tough call, but probably not pull a gun on a guy with a knife who is committing a property crime but isn't threatening me.

Do you mean you walk in and the officer's on the ground in a wrestling match and looks like he needs a hand? Jump in, but not waving a gun around. Just help get the guy into cuffs.

Hose the place down and when I'm done i would lean against the shattered remains of the cooler and light up a Newport, hasn't this been covered a thousand times?

Hose the place down and when I'm done i would lean against the shattered remains of the cooler and light up a Newport, hasn't this been covered a thousand times?

Possibly, but I only tend to search old posts for technical questions or binary legal questions, not general discussion. If it is indeed that old hat, then disregard.

The best thing you can do from a legal standpoint is call the police.

The Middlesex County DA's office (AKA the farm team for the cabal) isn't going to treat a good guy with a gun that doesn't have a badge, to ward off their politically motivated f***ery, as anything other than another Jamie Caetano to be ground under their heel.

Unless you personally, or a member of you immediate party, is under imminent mortal threat to your/their life presenting potential lethal force by drawing a firearm isn't worth the 100k in legal fees.

The best thing you can do from a legal standpoint is call the police.

The Middlesex County DA's office (AKA the farm team for the cabal) isn't going to treat a good guy with a gun that doesn't have a badge, to ward off their politically motivated f***ery, as anything other than another Jamie Caetano to be ground under their heel.

Unless you personally, or a member of you immediate party, is under imminent mortal threat to your/their life presenting potential lethal force by drawing a firearm isn't worth the 100k in legal fees.
Best response yet. Jack.

this is from boston.com:

“The Lt. began struggling with the suspect and had to discard his firearm behind the store counter until the clerk and two customers … who walked into the store in the middle of the incident came in and assisted him,” police said. “Once other units arrived and the suspect was in custody Lt. [Tempesta] secured his firearm and the knife was gathered as evidence.”

so the officer just left his handgun on the counter? :oops: :oops:

The thief in MA knows that a third party legally armed civilian is not going to shoot him and end up destroying his life over some money from the store's cash register. That puts any armed civilian that is inclined to get involved at a great disadvantage in such a confrontation. [thinking]

Funny how the cop put his gun at arm's length, within reach of the scumbag. I hope I remember not to do that if......

As Dirty Harry said, "I shoot the bastard, that's my policy!"

Finally, title is misleading because it was a cop. I was expecting and hoping that it was a civilian.

Give the clerk shit for not ringing me up.

Idk what I’d have done but if I did anything I can’t imagine doing worse than that clown.

That officer was a moron. He put that gun way too close to the guy.

Nothing, just be a good witness.

The thief in MA knows that a third party legally armed civilian is not going to shoot him and end up destroying his life over some money from the store's cash register. That puts any armed civilian that is inclined to get involved at a great disadvantage in such a confrontation. [thinking]
I doubt that most thieves understand how laws work in MA and the way legal gun owners think.

These people already have a bellow average IQ to risk their freedom for maybe $200.

this is from boston.com:

“The Lt. began struggling with the suspect and had to discard his firearm behind the store counter until the clerk and two customers … who walked into the store in the middle of the incident came in and assisted him,” police said. “Once other units arrived and the suspect was in custody Lt. [Tempesta] secured his firearm and the knife was gathered as evidence.”

so the officer just left his handgun on the counter? :oops: :oops:

He probably didn’t think the situation was worth shooting anyone over. The knife was out of the picture and the cop was much bigger and had help. I give the cop credit for tossing it - the alternative was using it.

He probably didn’t think the situation was worth shooting anyone over. The knife was out of the picture and the cop was much bigger and had help. I give the cop credit for tossing it - the alternative was using it.
More specifically, he didn't think shooting the thief was worth the legal shitstorm and career altering bullshit that would result had he shot the thief. [thinking]

This reminds me of those toward the end scenes in movies where the good guy throws away his weapon for a good long knock-down-drag'em-out fight with the bad guy that always ends with the good guy winning... but just barely. [laugh]

I don't know what I would have done but I know for sure what I wouldn't have done. I wouldn't have gotten that close to someone with a knife.

Back
Top Bottom