• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone have a Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical

GM-GUY

NES Member
I am looking for a new shotgun so I can go turkey hunting in the spring. My father-in-law thinks my 1980 870 2&3/4" mod bird barrel is not up to the task.

So I was looking around the Remington site and saw the 887, it will pull double duty as a new primary home defense weapon and as it will shoot 2&3/4",3",&3&1/2" and has rails up front and on top (for my RX30) it looks like a good deal with the Armorlockt coating and MSRP~$500.

I'm going up to State Line on Tuesday (closed till then for inventory) to have a look and try it out for size. I'd like to know if anyone has one and what they think of it.

Also, as I have never done this, how painful is a transfer from NH to Mass?

My father-in-law thinks my 1980 870 2&3/4" mod bird barrel is not up to the task.

Your father in law is wrong. One would think he is right by watching all the shows on Outdoor Channel where "hunters" are clad in the latest camo fad and have turkey guns in matching camo with pistol grips, red dot sights, and ultra tight chokes shooting 3 1/2 supermagnums.

But then consider that turkeys have been shot dead quite well for a long time before all the supermagnum ultracamo BS was ever invented.

If you really want to spend money, buy a short (20" or so) rifle sighted smoothbore barrel with screw-in choke tubes for your gun and one of those extra full choke tubes.

Buy some 2 3/4" heavy field loads with #6 lead and kill a turkey.

Yum, turkey dinner.

turkey_dinner.jpg

Your 870 should be more than sufficient. If you're that worried about reaching out and touching a turkey, get some high brass loads.

Get that 870 out to the range with some large sheets of cardboard and see how it groups the shot.
You may be happy with what you have.
Only a trip to shoot and pattern will tell.
If you buy the new 887 do the same and see what it looks like on paper.

I have an M887 Tactical and I was probably one of the first ones to get one. It seems like a durable shotgun, but it's not as smooth as my Mossberg 835. I bought it to directly compare it to the Benelli Supernova that it was created to compete against but the Benelli hasn't come in yet. If you wanna make the haul down to Sippican Rod and Gun you're more than welcome to throw as many shells as your shoulder can take through it.

Down on the Cape is too far for me, is Sippican a place name or was it started by the company Sippican? I used to make circuit boards for the company.

Down on the Cape is too far for me, is Sippican a place name or was it started by the company Sippican? I used to make circuit boards for the company.

It's in Rochester, probably a haul by any means for you. I don't plan on visiting my parents in Fitchburg either or I'd say we could go to your range. If you can find a Supernova in the style you want I would honestly say to go for that one over the Remington.

Back
Top Bottom