1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Homemade survival kits for Christmas

Discussion in 'Survival Forum' started by hillman, Oct 27, 2010.

1. hillman

hillman Member

I know this has been somewhat discussed before, but I'm looking for current and specific recommendations.

I'm putting together survival kits for my family and friends for Christmas this year, and wanted to make them myself. I'm trying to avoid the "4 feet of fishing line and a tin foil space blanket" thing and make something that is not only useful, but could be used and used again.

I'm putting the kits in small canvas bags, something like the G.I. tool bag or similar. I haven't found the exact bag yet, so recommendations on that are good as well, but that is the size I am shooting for. Ideally, these could go in the truck behind the seat, or tie to a backpack for camping.

So far, I have:
    A hunting knife with firestarter in the sheath which actually works very well because I started a duffel bag on fire while testing it out. 'nuff said.
    small bottle of water purification pills
    waterproof matches
    The never useful space blanket
    spool of fishing line, hooks, sinkers.
    packets of wet naps
    a couple cans of meat, like spam, only cheaper. Smells like bacon, so can't be that bad.

What can I add to that, keeping it small, but to make it very useful in both survival and camping situations.

Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  2. CTC

CTC Member

You can never go wrong with 550 cord and duct tape. Real-world, I once tied a coworker's broken car door shut with a dog leash I had in my trunk. 550 cord would've been a lot easier.

3. ACfarmer

ACfarmer NES Member

How about a compass, collapsible metal cup, spork?

4. hillman

hillman Member

I once tried to give my young brother in law a compass, he said "why, I have an app for one on my phone". Thanks for the ideas, folks. I love the idea of the collapsible cup but all I can find are plastic ones. I have a great tin one that's held up well over the years.

5. fattylo

fattylo New Member

"""he said "why, I have an app for one on my phone"."""" What is he going to do when the battery dies? Some type of fold up saw would be good to have or a small first aid kit.

6. daveyburt

daveyburt NES Member

how about one of those handheld chain saws:
    [​IMG]

7. ns939393

ns939393 Member

A good thick rain poncho.
    They fold up small and are actually pretty useful.
    I swear every time I go camping in rains.

8. bambame2

bambame2 NES Member

How about a small first aid kit. You could even make them your self. One thing I always take with me is a needle and thread great for quick fixes.

1 person likes this.
  9. glostamon

glostamon NES Member

one of those headband flashlights/head lamps , a Multi-Tool & a fifth of Vodka

1 person likes this.
  10. Brian5582

Brian5582 NES Member

I don't want to derail but I when I saw the compass app. on my Droid I downloaded it to see how well it worked. Well I tried several different ones and none worked very well. They were consistently several degrees off at best.

On the subject I have a large stainless cup I use because you can boil a decent amount of water in it. I have tried with a collapsable one and I don't like them. They are not as big and its just something that can fail. When you are talking about a decent size bag anyway it really isn't going to take up that much more space. You can even pack some stuff into it.

This is a great idea, When you figure it all out you should let us know what you end up putting in it. Also what you end up using as a bag.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  11. P-14

P-14 NES Member

12. Coyote33

Coyote33 Member

soap
    bandaids
    bug spray
    toilet paper
    jumper cables
    windshield fluid
    oil
    fix-a-flat
    flashlight (crank up?)
    road flare

13. pernox

pernox Member

Gloves
    Candles
    Small AM/FM radio

14. bigjim

bigjim Member

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  15. Kicker96FS

Kicker96FS NES Member

A copy of the latest Maxim magazine.

16. Boghog1

Boghog1 Member

17. edmorseiii

edmorseiii Navy Veteran NES Member

I am actually reading "When All Hell Breaks Loose" now. It is a bit lighter reading then one of Rawles books while still getting the info out. It seems to be geared toward being self reliant then you need this gear or that gear, and razor wire and barricades.

This is a cool gift idea, and one day could wind up being the best gift any one ever received.

Few things I don't see is an emergency signal whistle, a mini-mag light with extra batteries, chem lights. I am looking into one of those Katadyn water purifying bottles that you can fill with anything and it filters the water as you drink it.

18. Mustad

Mustad Member

crank flashlight/am fm radio

19. hillman

hillman Member

Yeah I am probably going to go with crank flashlight over mini-mag light, and chem lights.

These are some great suggestions, thanks everyone! I'm going to check out some bag/pouch ideas this weekend at some surplus stores. I think I'm going to throw in some kind of power bar option as well.
    Also, maybe some condoms. The reason being I was once stranded in Mexico when our radiator blew a hose. We patched the hose, but had to walk several miles through rough country to a house where we found a hose, but had nothing to carry water back with. We used condoms we had in our wallets and brought it back water-balloon style. You never know...

20. Sprocket

Sprocket NES Member

I have a kit assembled - it all fits in a Nalgene wide mouthed bottle - I have a nylon pouch for the bottle if I have to empty the contents to fill the bottle with water.

Just a suggestion