1100 or 11-87

Where/what is KTP?

KTP is NES Speak. Huge selection, racks where you can handle the merchandise (the high-end stuff is behind a counter, you have to ask for it. But if you want a Parker or Kreighoff, you should know that!)

KTP takes trade-ins, so there's plenty of used stock. But, when buying a used gun, bring along someone that's familliar with what you're lookng for (Not sure if you're in the market for a shottie based on your screen name)

Differnt guns, especially autos will often have "quirks" that need to be looked for (e.g. on a Browning A5: Cracked forend, wear to the recoil spring fiddly-bits).

If you've never been there, bring a drool rag....it's different than most places in the PRM! ( that's people's republic of Mass....)

Welcome to the forum

I have an 1187P and had it sent to Vang Comp Systems to have some sights installed and one of his barrels. Shoots great. Would recommend the shotgun to anyone contemplating buying one.

Ok, so I've decided to get into Skeet. I've shot it in the past with various guns, but I think I'd like to pick up either a Remington 1100 or 11-87. I have used 1100's in the past and liked them, but the 11-87 so far has been easier to find (either way I'll be going with a good used gun) BUT I've heard mixed reviews of the 11-87 cycling light loads. Does anyone here use the 11-87, or have any reason why one is preferred over the other for skeet?

I've been using an 1187 Sportsman to shoot trap for about 6 months now so I'm shooting number 8 Gunclub loads through it - i.e. light. No issues at all cycling it. Just keep it clean.

1100 is a better skeet gun than the 11-87.

However, for not too much more than that price you can get yourself a Beretta A3901 or, for a little bit more, the new Beretta A300, either of which will be a superior firearm in every way.

However, for not too much more than that price you can get yourself a Beretta A3901 or, for a little bit more, the new Beretta A300, either of which will be a superior firearm in every way.

Why is that? The only difference I see is the gas system? I picked up the 11-87 because it fit my budget (after the rebates from Dicks). It was either that or a used 1100, but all I could fine were either rifled deer guns, or beat to hell guns that I wouldn't buy. In the end I got a brand new 11-87 for $400, with the 28" barrel I wanted.

You're not the first person I've heard say that, but you're also not the first person to leave out why.

Not a personal dig, but it's about the 5th time I've heard someone clearly favor the 1100 and not back it up with any reasoning. Well, actually, the guy at my gun club have me the response "because the 1100 is something you pass down to your kids". Er...still didn't do me much better.

Again, whatever the case I find my 11-87 just fine for a novice skeet shooter.

ARV:

Many people are strong proponents of the gun that they have, and love.

Me? I'll shoot what I got. I don't have any "aspiration pieces" for day-to-day shotties.

This is why I always advise a new shooter to try different toys. A subtle thing like a minor difference in stock profile can make the difference between a pleasant and and a terrible experinece. And more money is not always better.

Anecdote: I was having a decent day, and and shot 23 x 4, with my crappy old Browning A5 (it works, but looks beat). One of the guys suggested that I try his Ljutic (~$8k).

I shot 23 wtih it.

"Thanks! That works as well as my Browning!" [rofl]

If looks could maim, the old elf would have left in a basket*

Find a gun that fits, and that you can afford. As you get better, you'll likely change what you shoot, until, like me, you rise to your level of incompetence, and accept your average (well, most of the time).

Obie.....You're expecting to find REASONING when talking to a clay target shooter?!?!?!? [rofl]

*+reps to the first reply with the source of the quote - on your honor, no google-fu! [wink]

Last edited:
ARV:

Many people are strong proponents of the gun that they have, and love.

I don't have an 1100. I shoot a Beretta 687 normally and an Xtrema 2 in foul weather.

However, I say the 1100 is a better skeet gun for several reasons.

1) The 11-87 is specifically designed to be able to take heavier loads, including 3" (and 3 1/2" in the appropriate version) waterfowl and other heavy loads. The modifications to the gas system make it slightly more complex and add some weight.

2) The 1100 gas system is optimized for light and standard 2 3/4" loads which includes all clay target loads. That's why the subgauge guns are only available in the 1100.

3) With typical and especially the lighter skeet loads (such as 24 gram International skeet loads) the 11-87 tends to be less reliable than the 1100. Additionally, from what I have seen the 11-87s tend to foul more quickly under heavy use.

I have seen lots of extremely good competitive skeet shooters using 1100s - the fact is that they'll do well with any gun that fits them. Given the choice between the two, I'd go with the 1100, though. There's a reason that Remington never ended up killing off the 1100 line - it's because the serious clayshooting crowd never really adopted the 11-87. In the end, is there a huge difference? No, it's 99% about the gun fit and the shooter. I'd still take a Beretta A300, A3901, or A391 over any of them, however.

Last edited:
You're not the first person I've heard say that, but you're also not the first person to leave out why.

Not a personal dig, but it's about the 5th time I've heard someone clearly favor the 1100 and not back it up with any reasoning. Well, actually, the guy at my gun club have me the response "because the 1100 is something you pass down to your kids". Er...still didn't do me much better.

Again, whatever the case I find my 11-87 just fine for a novice skeet shooter.

Ya know, I looked on Remington's website, and IIRC, I couldn't tell the difference between the current 1100's and 11-87's finish-wise. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the basic one's come with the same matt-blue finish as the 11-87's. I was looking for a used one, because a nice high gloss blue would be nice, and I've shot the 1100 in the past and liked it, but the 11-87 feels the same to me. Put them both in my hands blind folded, I doubt I could tell the difference when shooting.

I'll say right now, I bought the gun for clays to have fun, but I'll still use my Charles Daly field when I feel like I need to be punished, and my 20" DH gun just to get some practice with it[laugh]

Ya know, I looked on Remington's website, and IIRC, I couldn't tell the difference between the current 1100's and 11-87's finish-wise. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the basic one's come with the same matt-blue finish as the 11-87's. I was looking for a used one, because a nice high gloss blue would be nice, and I've shot the 1100 in the past and liked it, but the 11-87 feels the same to me. Put them both in my hands blind folded, I doubt I could tell the difference when shooting.

http://www.remington.com/product-families/firearms/shotgun-families/autoloading-model-1100.aspx

All 1100s except for the tactical versions are a traditional glossy blue. It's interesting to note that the 11-87 is not available in a tacticool configuration - since 2 3/4" is pretty much all that LE/MIL/HD requires.

I don't have an 1100. I shoot a Beretta 687 normally and an Xtrema 2 in foul weather.

1) The 11-87 is specifically designed to be able to take heavier loads, including 3" (and 3 1/2" in the appropriate version) waterfowl and other heavy loads. The modifications to the gas system make it slightly more complex and add some weight.

2) The 1100 gas system is optimized for light and standard 2 3/4" loads which includes all clay target loads. That's why the subgauge guns are only available in the 1100.

3) With typical and especially the lighter skeet loads (such as 24 gram International skeet loads) the 11-87 tends to be less reliable than the 1100. Additionally, from what I have seen the 11-87s tend to foul more quickly under heavy use.

I have seen lots of extremely good competitive skeet shooters using 1100s - the fact is that they'll do well with any gun that fits them. Given the choice between the two, I'd go with the 1100, though. There's a reason that Remington never ended up killing off the 1100 line - it's because the serious clayshooting crowd never really adopted the 11-87. In the end, is there a huge difference? No, it's 99% about the gun fit and the shooter. I'd still take a Beretta A300, A3901, or A391 over any of them, however.

A sincere thank you. Finally someone finally cleared up the differences for me.

Thank you as well, I didn't see this post yesterday when I dashed off the one below it on my way out the door for the day. 99% of my shooting with it will probably be with either reloads or bulk pack shells which it seems to like.

I will say though, My grandfather had a BEAUTIFUL cased set of 1100's. The wood was amazing, and the little extra details on them really made the guns look great. I think it had a 12, 28 & .410. The 28 was my all-time favorite, and I didn't feel at all bad about beating his weekly skeet buddies with it when I was 16 [smile]. I was sad when he sold that set.

Personally, I love 28 gauge and have been shooting it predominantly since I got tubes for my Beretta. I just picked up some .410 tubes and am looking forward to trying them out.

ARV, I've got a camo dipped 11-87, 28" barrel that I use for Turkey, Duck & Deer. It has performed 100% in the field (and I've fired a shitload of rounds at ducks.) I haven't used it for trap/skeet though so I can't attest to how well it may function with light steel loads.

It's an awesome gun, but heavy after hours of tromping through marshland with it. I consider it part of the challenge of hunting. :)

I've got some extra brand new o-rings if you need one.

No worry about steel .45, the club still uses lead. As to O rings, are they any different than the ones I would pick up at Home Depot?

From what little Ive used it, it seems to run just find on bulk pack gun club loads.

Back
Top Bottom