• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

10mm or 45 ACP

Nomad3

NES Member
I'm looking for a new 1911 range toy and need some input. I currently dont have a firearm in either 10mm or .45 ACP caliber so I'm starting from scratch but I'm thinking 10mm over .45 mainly because I'll be reloading and bullets are cheaper. But then there's the iconic .45acp story. I'm really not looking for the best self-defense round or thinking about bear-country; just wondering what people would choose if you did not have any firearms in either caliber and were looking for a semi-long term caliber (I'll probably buy future firearms to match the caliber)?

I'm looking for a new 1911 range toy and need some input. I currently dont have a firearm in either 10mm or .45 ACP caliber so I'm starting from scratch but I'm thinking 10mm over .45 mainly because I'll be reloading and bullets are cheaper. But then there's the iconic .45acp story. I'm really not looking for the best self-defense round or thinking about bear-country; just wondering what people would choose if you did not have any firearms in either caliber and were looking for a semi-long term caliber (I'll probably buy future firearms to match the caliber)?

Both are fairly inexpensive to reload.
If I didn't have any in either, probably a longslide in 10mm. Its 1 better than 9mm.

While I may have gone with a 10mm, you have far more options, manufacturers, and price points with a .45. If I had to do it over again, I’d save my money for a TRP Operator in 10mm.

Brass is infinitely easier to get for 45.

But frankly this is more like "how about both?"

I reload and shoot both in a 191. The .45 has less recoil. If your handgun shooting will be limited to 100 yards go with the .45. Beyond 100 yards I'd pick the 10mm because it shoots flatter. In .45 you have to deal with the fact that brass comes on both large and small primer.

If it's a 1911, it has to be .45, cuz two world wars and all that.

I am kidding of course. 10mm is a great round. I have always wanted a Delta Elite, but have always found something else to spend my money on.
However, I bumped into an old buddy at the range not long ago and I noticed he was shooting a 1911 in 9mm. I busted his balls, and he went into the whole " with modern ammo there is no difference in ballistic blah blah bullshit...blah blah technology..."
Then he said, " Honestly, it's just that the arthritis in my hands makes 45 a painful experience if shooting more than a box or two of ammo."

I have never been very sensitive to recoil, but I'm getting to that age that it might be something to consider. I'd hate to buy a gun that never got used

45 ACP. It's a low pressure cartridge and you can reload your cases basically forever. 10mm is a higher pressure case and I doubt they will last as long.
My experience is the nickel cases tend to crack faster than the brass ones (with 10mm cases). My 45ACP seems to last forever.

I have had a few bulges on the lower part of the case that would not allow the round to be chambered a few times, again nickel cases.

My last one was from a full power Double Tap ammo case that I don't know how many times it had been reloaded...at least twice though.

My experience is the nickel cases tend to crack faster than the brass ones (with 10mm cases). My 45ACP seems to last forever.

I have had a few bulges on the lower part of the case that would not allow the round to be chambered a few times, again nickel cases.

My last one was from a full power Double Tap ammo case that I don't know how many times it had been reloaded...at least twice though.
Yes, nickel-plated cases crack before brass. If you have bulges at the base, a full length sizing die may help.

45acp if your going to reload. As others have said brass is easy yo get.....and its a low pressure load......there are many load data available for fastish burning powders that take less than 5 grains per charge.....bullseye, titegroup, and unique can be used for 45acp with like 4.5 grains per charge.....makes a can last for a looooong time. Also......45acp brass can be found in small and large pistol primer pockets. Some look at this as a negative......I look at it as a bonus......when I was running low on large primers last summer I saved what I had for 44 mag reloads and broke out my can of small primer 45 brass! More options equals more better in my opinion.

Small primer 45 ACP is the spawn of the devil. I can’t count the number of times I’ve tried to squash a large pistol primer into a small primer 45 ACP.
This is actually something in my mind as a +1 for .45 acp. haven't had to switch my dillon xl750 to large primer because so far I only reload for small primers : 9mm , 38 spl, .223

I already have a shit-ton of brass for both calibers so current popularity isn't in my equation, for 10mm and .45 acp both LPP and SPP. I've been collecting at my local range for some time knowing I'd be in this conundrum.

This is actually something in my mind as a +1 for .45 acp. haven't had to switch my dillon xl750 to large primer because so far I only reload for small primers : 9mm , 38 spl, .223

I already have a shit-ton of brass for both calibers so current popularity isn't in my equation, for 10mm and .45 acp both LPP and SPP. I've been collecting at my local range for some time knowing I'd be in this conundrum.
Primer change over is easy, i never fussed over it, takes 5 minutes on most presses and gives you a chance to clean the press.

Here is what I use to guide me in my 1911 squiring disease:

I have 0 1911s --> Buy a 1911 in 45 ACP
I have 1 1911s --> Buy a different model 1911 in 45 ACP
I have 2 1911s --> Buy a different model 1911 in 45 ACP
I have 3 1911s --> Buy a different model 1911 in 45 ACP
I have 4 1911s --> Buy a 1911 in 10mm
I have 5 1911s --> Buy a 1911 in 9mm
I have 6 1911s --> Whats it really matter at this point, buy another 1911 if it looks cool
I have 7 1911s --> Those lightweight frame 1911s might be kind of neat, buy one of those
I have 8 1911s --> Start thinking about WWII vintage collectors pieces
I have 9 1911s --> Start thinking about a divorce laywer
I have 10 1911s --> Sell the 9mm, because 9mms are for girls
I have 9 1911s --> Sell the WWII gun and the 10mm to help pay for the divorce lawyer
I have 7 1911s --> This number is about where I'd like to be

Back
Top Bottom