• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kahr PM9 Break in procedure

I picked up a brand new PM9 this afternoon from Four Season. They actually had 5 in stock much to my surprised. Their website says they have a two month wait, but it hasn't been up dated in a while I guess.

I looked around online for a break in procedure for this firearm and was unable to find anything. This is my first brand new firearm so I've never had to do this before. I am wondering if someone on here has broken in a new PM9 and can give me some insight on the proper way to do so. I'm hoping to keep this gun for a long time so I want to do things right so its as accurate as possible. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Just clean, lube, then shoot it. Get some 115 grain ball ammo and shoot the piss out of it. [laugh]

-Mike

Yes read the manual then clean, lube and put a couple of hundred rounds through it before you start to worry. Everyone I've talked to said the same thing.

Tommy

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! Switch magazines.
BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! Reload.

Repeat steps 1 & 2.

Repeat step 3.

Repeat step 3.

Repeat step 3.

Repeat step 3.

Repeat step 3.

Repeat step 3.

Repeat step 3.

Repeat step 3.

Clean and repeat.

[grin]

I picked up a PM9 a little over a month ago. I've put approx. 500 rounds through it. I only had one issue that was related to the ammo not the gun. I've been carrying it daily for a couple of weeks now. Great gun and easy to conceal.

Pretty much what everyone else here says. Clean it, lube it and fire away.

http://kahrtalk.com/kahr-tech/1521-proper-prep-new-kahr.html
From Kahr Talk:
Here are some helpful suggestions to set your new kahr up before heading to the range as compiled by Jocko, with the help of the forum members.

#1. Read and then Reread your owners manual. There is some real MUST DO's in there that if you don't you will have issues.
#2 clean ur new gun, dont' assume Kahr did it, They don't and there could be crude in places that it should not be. Take that slide off and that little hole in the bottom of the slide, that is your clean out hole into the striker channel, Insert your spray cleaner nozzle in there and spray away. Fluids will come out both ends, Now with one finger pull back on the striker at the back of the slide and continue to spray in that hole and also spray clean from that breech hole also. You have now cleaned that striker channel without dissambly, DO NOT OIL THAT STRKER CHANNEL. Refer to the kahr tech section and the 2nd sticky down is KAHR LUBE DIAGRAM. Point #9 shows that clean out hole and this is the best lube chart for any semi auto to..
#3 grease the slide rails or if you prefer a certain gun oil, fine. just lube the slide, and better yet go to the kahr tech section and hit on the kahr lube section. This will save alot of explaining. If you have a dremel, I would suggest a good polish on the already smooth feed ramp and inside the chamber also..U can't hurt anything buy a nice polish job. The lube chart is the 2nd sticky on this KAHR TECH thread. It is simply the best ..
#4. Now sit there with an empty gun and no magazine and rack the slide about 500 times as fast as u can, they helps break in without the bang thing.
#5 Take your magazines apart and recheck to see that they are properly put together right to. then if you have some 600+ grit auto sand paper just roll it up like a pencil and polish the under side of the feed lips on your magazines. Do not oil the magazines, wipe with a silicone cloth at best.
#6 to check to see if you have no issues with the slide lock lever hitting the rounds in the magazine, take the slide off and insert the slide lock lever and then reinsert a loaded magazine and see if that top round is hitting the slide lock lever and moving it upward. That is a NO NO.
#7 break in the gun with fmj ammo, forget about the defense stuff until it is running right, Practice close, stay 7 yards and under, get a good grip on the gun and watch your thumb to see that it is not accidently hitting the slide lock lever and causing premature slide locking open. This is a known cause of premature slide locking open..
#8, Don't worry about the accuracty thing until you have the gun running reliable with both types of ammo. Sometimes the 200 rounds break in is necessary, Most of the time, if the gun is pre-prepped properly it does not.
#9 Be aware that you can limp wrist these little guns far easier than the bigger ones. Keep your shooting at 7 yards and under
#10 Kahrs have a looooong but totally smoother trigger system, GET USED TO IT. More rounds down range the better your groups will be to. remember you and the gun have to mate up also correctly for all things to work right.

My PM-9 has functioned reliably from day one. I lube the rails with a light Teflon greasemand a bit of RemOil on th barrel.

How's it working out? I just got my LTC and picked one up at FS also. It's my first gun and I'm eager to break it in. I'm not a member at a range yet so it will have to wait another 2 weeks until I get setup or I can convince my friend to go.

[crying]

I would run at least 500 rounds through the pistol before I considered it reliable, actually 1000 rounds is more like it. This will also polish the parts that might have arrived from the factory a little rough, and reveal any problems with the mags or slide stop. Cleaning and lubrication are important; do so frequently. I prefer 20w50 synthetic motor oil. You can get a quart of synthetic for about what you pay for a few ounces of gun oil, and it works just as well or better.

Pay close attention to the recoil spring assembly. These springs do not last very long in short barreled pistols, and the MFRs recommend replacement at relatively short intervals; check your owner's manual.

I bought my PM9 from FS about 2 months ago. Ran about 400 rounds through it with zero problems. Conceals very nicely.

Well I've got about 250 rounds through it and it is functioning perfectly. I need to get a hogue grip for it, as it is a little small in my hand by itself. has cycled all ammo i've fed it with no problems. did have some issues trying to chamber the first round of a full mag, but once i started using the slide release to chamber the first round everything has been fine. this thing carries like no other gun i've ever owned, even in a cheapo iwb holster. i'm going to invest in a minituck i think, because i'm positive that i'll have this gun for a long long time.

Nice to hear that. I'm going to the range tomorrow to continue the break-in process. I've put 13 rounds thru it for my safety test at the range. My card is hopefully active by now. I hope the rest of the rounds go thru it as smooth as the first 13. I really like it so far. I thought it would have more kick than it does.

So far I'm impressed.

Check out Kholster.com It's like the minituck but cheaper.

I wore mine in a Mini Tuck all day standing yesterday and sitting today; it is the most comfortable carry I've had yet.

Well I've got about 250 rounds through it and it is functioning perfectly. I need to get a hogue grip for it, as it is a little small in my hand by itself. has cycled all ammo i've fed it with no problems. did have some issues trying to chamber the first round of a full mag, but once i started using the slide release to chamber the first round everything has been fine. this thing carries like no other gun i've ever owned, even in a cheapo iwb holster. i'm going to invest in a minituck i think, because i'm positive that i'll have this gun for a long long time.

One thing I've noticed with my Kahr (K40c) is that if you load a full magazine with the slide forward, then try and rack the slide to put one in the chamber, it will not always work. I would recommend that you ALWAYS load the pistol with the slide to the rear.

have 200+ rounds through my pm9, first 50 were self defense rounds and the rest were target ammo. not one failure. a couple of times, the slide did not lock back on the last round, but i think it might have been me holding it wrong...

at 100 rounds, i was taking out the spent mag and getting ready to put in my backup when i dropped it in the sand. field stripped it, cleaned it and kept firing. no problems.

brought it home, field stripped, cleaned and lubed per the kahr lube diagram. haven't shot it since, but will hopefully put another 100 through it today. so far, love this pocket rocket. first ever pocket carry.

One thing I've noticed with my Kahr (K40c) is that if you load a full magazine with the slide forward, then try and rack the slide to put one in the chamber, it will not always work. I would recommend that you ALWAYS load the pistol with the slide to the rear.

A lot of kahrs do this. It states in the manual they want you to load it with the slide locked back and use the slide release. No sling shot method. There are a couple youtube videos discussing why this happens and many agree its the magazine combined with the steep ramp which makes sense.

A lot of kahrs do this. It states in the manual they want you to load it with the slide locked back and use the slide release. No sling shot method. There are a couple youtube videos discussing why this happens and many agree its the magazine combined with the steep ramp which makes sense.

I haven't had any issues with slingshotting the slide, I'll keep that info about the slide release in mind, though.

Put about 60 rounds thru it today. I was testing Winchester Ranger T 147 JHP as I would like to use it as my carry round. I had 2 failure to feed with the 7 round mag. I was able to sling shot the slide back and the round went into battery first attempt after the FTF. The 6 round mag worked great. I've successfully been able to sling shot the slide to chamber a round with the 6 round mag. The 7 round mag requires 2 tries most of the time. When I use the slide lock it's 100% so I know that will work. Break in will continue tomorrow, Fri. and Sat. Hopefully it will get better. I'm impressed with how accurate this little gun is.

The grip is comfortable but maybe just a little on the small side. I'll have to see how the rest of the break-in goes. Maybe a little grip tape will help.

According to one of the vids I saw online the 7 round pmags does not have the sling shot issue. But I think that's ymmv. Sling shot method works I'd say 99% of the time with my 6 round but with the 7 round its more like 85%. This was tested with 124 +p gold dot and ball ammo. I think the feed ramp is just too steep.

Back
Top Bottom