? on New Hampshire Hunting Laws and handguns

I am going hunting in NH this year for the first time and was wondering if it is legal to carry a handgun for self defense while hunting. I can't find any info on it. Obviously I would not be useing the handgun for hunting just defense and I do have a Non-Resident CCW license if that makes a difference.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/hunting_rules.htm#unlawful

Towns with Special Rules:

Deer hunting is allowed only by shotgun, muzzleloader, handguns in calibers .357, 10 mm, .41, .44, .45, or .480, or bow and arrow in the following towns:

Beknap:
Laconia,
Meredith Neck: the part from the Meredith-Center Harbor line to Pleasant Street south and east of Route 25.

Hillsborough:
Amherst; Bedford; Brookline; Goffstown; Hollis; Hudson; Litchfield; Manchester; Merrimack; Milford; Nashua and Pelham.

Merrimack:
Bow: southeast from the Concord-Bow boundary line along the west bank of the Merrimack River, then westerly along the Bow-Hooksett boundary line, then northerly along I-93, then westerly along Robinson Road, then northwest along Branch Londonderry Turnpike East, then southerly along Woodhill Road, then southwesterly along Dunbarton Center Road to the Bow-Dunbarton boundary line, then northwesterly along the Bow-Dunbarton boundary line to the Bow-Hopkinton boundary line, then easterly along the Bow-Hopkinton boundary line to the Bow-Concord boundary line to the west bank of the Merrimack River; Concord;
Hooksett: that part lying from the town line of Allenstown, on the westerly side of Route 3 to a point where the old Portsmouth Railroad crosses the highway, then south of the railroad to the town line of Candia;
Pembroke: that part lying westerly of the following line: starting at the Concord town line at Red Bridge on Sheep David Road, south to Burrough (Borough) Road, then easterly on Burrough (Borough) Road to Fourth Range Road, then southerly on Fourth Range Road to Route 28, then southwesterly on Route 28 to the Allenstown town line.

Rockingham: Atkinson; Auburn*; Brentwood; Chester*; Danville; Derry; East Kingston; Exeter; Fremont; Greenland*; Hampstead; Hampton; Hampton Falls; Kensington; Kingston; Londonderry; New Castle**; Newfields; Newington*; Newmarket; Newton; North Hampton; Plaistow; Portsmouth*; Rye; Salem; Sandown; Seabrook; South Hampton; Stratham*; Windham.

Strafford: Durham; Madbury; Lee; Dover; Rollinsford; Somersworth.

* Wild deer shall not be taken in these towns by use of any firearm other than a shotgun loaded with a single ball, muzzleloading rifle or bow and arrow.

** New Castle: Hunting prohibited except: shotgun fired over water, or landowner or a person with landowner permission using a shotgun where shot lands on their property or the water.

It is unlawful to:

hunt with a fully automatic firearm. It is also illegal to hunt with a semi-automatic rifle with a clip or magazine holding more than five cartridges (except .22 cal rimfire rifles and pistols), or use full-jacketed metal case bullets;

I know it does not directly answer your question. If you carry a back up, I'd keep the 5 round rule in mind.

Since open carry is legal in New Hampshire, you'd probably be ok.

Is this a fact that he would be ok? Opinion is not good enough. When it comes to gun laws you can't say "I think I should be ok". Know the facts and avoid thousands in legal fees.

Respectfully,

B.J.

Can you carry a sidearm hunting in NH?

Is this a fact that he would be ok? Opinion is not good enough. When it comes to gun laws you can't say "I think I should be ok". Know the facts and avoid thousands in legal fees.

Respectfully,

B.J.

This is an old post - But I am headed to Pittsburgh bird hunting and wondering about bears. I am sure not an issue, but if i I have the .44 why not bring..?

Thanks.

V

In NH you can; even if you run into a game warden having a bad day, the penalty is a violation, loss of hunting license.

This is an old post - But I am headed to Pittsburgh bird hunting and wondering about bears. I am sure not an issue, but if i I have the .44 why not bring..?
You can carry a handgun (for defense) while hunting in NH. Hunting laws restricting the use of a handgun while hunting, however open or concealed carry of a loaded self-defense handgun is unrestricted.

I hunt birds up there also and the idea of slogging thru that stuff strapped with my Redhawk/Blackhawk is not too appealing. Chance of being close to a black bear is slim to none IMHO.

I hunt birds up there also and the idea of slogging thru that stuff strapped with my Redhawk/Blackhawk is not too appealing. Chance of being close to a black bear is slim to none IMHO.
Where I am in NH, I see more bears than deer in MA
Everyday carry is .40 at the camp. .357 or .44 while bird hunting

Last edited:
the idea of slogging thru that stuff strapped with my Redhawk/Blackhawk is not too appealing. Chance of being close to a black bear is slim to none IMHO
Where I am in NH, I see more bears than deer in MA
Everyday carry is .40 at the camp. .357 or .44 while bird hunting
We have a surplus of aggressive young male black bears in NH. My EDC is a 9mm, so I up-load to buffalo bore when in the woods, and in the spring (when females are most protective of their cubs) I'd consider adding my Mossberg Shockwave in a scabbard -- technically a "pistol" under NH state law :)

Back
Top Bottom