Detailed steps on how to apply for a license in Boston

I received my license in the mail today. Here are the notes I took along the way. I'd welcome any advice or edits. I'll expect to pass this on to a few co-workers in a few days.

In theory, the information below is as detailed as it needs to be in order to enable someone who has never touched a gun to get a gun license in the city of Boston.

Listed are the steps, price for each step, and estimated minimum time required to complete each step.
Notes completed 8/11/05.

My case:
Time to complete all steps and get license: 89 days
(of the 89 days listed above, 54 days were spent just waiting for the application to be processed)
Total cost to fulfill all requirements (does not include the costs of buying a gun): $422

Summary of required steps:
-take approved pistol safety class
-become a member of a gun club
-apply for license
-pass Moon Island range test

Detailed steps:

1 - Review application for Class A license, $0, 0 days
There are three types of licenses available (listed in order of increasing usefulness): FID, Class B and Class A. FID and Class B are nearly worthless; do not bother with them.
You want a Class A.
The application can be found at: http://www.mass.gov/chsb/pdfs/frb/frb_fid_lic_app.pdf
NOTE: This application paperwork is not accepted by the City of Boston. It is no better or worse than Boston's requirements, but Boston requires its own paperwork. If you see no problems on the state application, then you won't have any problems with Boston's version. Boston's application is not available online and must be picked up in person. See Step 9 below (Prior to applying in person in Boston, you should review question-section of the state application. You will be asked every question on the state application.)

2 - Decide to get CLASS A gun license and maybe a gun, $0, 0 days
Call local gun club to find out the scheduling of the next open NRA Certified Basic Pistol Safety Class.
Recommended: Boston Gun and Rifle Association has classes every week. Phone: 617 436 8846 Website: www.bostongunclub.net Cost: $150/class.
This class is highly recommended only because of its convenience: it is accessible by T and it is offered ALL the time. Almost every other range offering classes tends to offer classes at a frequency of once a month or less. Because the application process is so long, the absolute best thing you can do for yourself is to start today. And, the easiest way to start today is to sign up today. The BGRA's prices aren't terrible, but some other places go as low as $75. You'll need access to a car to get to a cheaper class; www.goal.org can help you find one that's not too far away.

3 - Sign up for class at BGRA, $150, 1 day
BGRA - need to bring filled out application, found on website (www.bostongunclub.net). To be prudent, try to sign up a week or so before the class. However, they often have openings in the next scheduled class. Check or cash [edit: they now take credit cards as well (or debit with a visa/mc logo)].
The BGRA is located at Fields Corner, on a side-street just after going under the subway bridge (when heading south on Dorchester Ave from Boston). Hard to find. Call the BGRA and ask for directions from whomever you talk to. You have to press a buzzer to be allowed in.

4 - Start basic pistol safety class, $0, 3 days
Held at BGRA

5 - Graduate basic pistol safety class, $0, 7 days
Don't lose the graduation papers. This is a good point to confirm that you want to spend the rest of the time and money necessary to get a license.

6 - Join a gun club, $150, 1 day
Many clubs have more extensive facilities than the BGRA. The BGRA has a benefit of location and a friendly atmosphere, but if you have a car and don't mind a short drive, there are better facilities outside of the Boston city limits (BGRA is a pistol range only). www.goal.org has a list of ranges in the surrounding counties. At the BGRA, take $25 off if you sign up within a month of taking the class.

7* - Target shooting tutorial. Prep for Moon Island test, $22, 4 days
Assuming you're taking this from Bob at BGRA. You will get his card upon finishing the class. The hour or so tutorial is not expensive, but possibly not worth the money if you think you're good enough already or you know someone who will let you train on their .38 revolver.
The Moon Island test is described in all its gory detail below. Presumably best day for both you and the trainer will be several days after graduation.

8 - Get club membership letter, $0, 4 days (about a week from step 6)
The time between applying (step 6) and getting notice of membership, should be less than 2 weeks.

9 - Fill out Class A license and apply, $100, 1 day
Note: to apply in Boston you must pick up an application in person from the licensing dept. Call the BPD (617 343 4425 - license dept., 617 343 4200 - main number) to verify the hours that they are open. You may have to schedule a few hours off from work to go pick up application, and--if you are actually applying on a different day--a few hours to apply.
Don't bother applying for anything but a CLASS A license (you will be issued either an unrestricted or a restricted Class A license). The only Bostonians who get unrestricted class A licenses are crime victims, business owners who make cash deposits, or people connected politically. When asking for a CLASS A license, expect first question from police to be "what do you want that for?" Possible answers: "for all lawful purposes", "sport/target", or "business-related". You will need: Drivers License, copy of Birth Certificate, 2 Utility Bills, copy of Gun Course Certificate, copy of Letter of Membership from gun club, and 2 references (name, address, phone #). (if you are applying for a "business-related" license you will need more paperwork--they will give you a list). Pick application in person: 1190 Tremont St., Roxbury, MA 8:30 - 3:30 Monday-Friday. You can show up with the required paperwork and apply immediately, or you can take the application home and bring it back filled out and with papers. Application processs: you will be fingerprinted with ink, fingerscanned, and photographed (photograph will be shown on license). You will be verbally asked all of the questions on the state application by an officer. You will be asked to choose a range date for test and given a permission slip for the range date. DO NOT LOSE PERMISSION SLIP. Cash, not check or credit. ATM machine on site.**

10* - Take Moon Island test, $0, 3 days
Bring the permission slip given to you in step 9. Moon Island test can be scheduled for any weekday, either at 7am or 4pm. Presumably, you could take it the next day. Estimate the shortest time to be 3 days from the day you apply for a license.

11 - Receive Class A license, $0, 42 days
The officer said that this would take 5-6 weeks, (but probably less) to get license. I don't know if they started processing the day after I filled out the forms or the day after the range test. The officer's statement, while encouraging, seems to contradict the actual facts. In conversation with other license applicants, and my own experience, it seems that the licensing process takes a Minimum of 6 weeks and could take more than 100 days. On anecdotal evidence, it seems to take anywhere from 2 to 6 months for the Boston police department to actually issue a license.

12 - Buy gun, the sky's the limit, 1 day
www.northeastshooters.com has a forum giving feedback on gun shops.
In order to buy a gun, you just need to walk into the store with a license and money (and your state-issued PIN, and don't lose the finger that was fingerscanned in step 9...). It's blessedly simple at this point (except that your choice of guns is restricted by THE LIST (and the Atty. General's DOUBLE-SECRET LIST), but that's not worth discussing here). In addition to the price of the gun, you probably should also budget for: eye protection ($10), ear protection ($25), gun-cleaning kit ($10), (and ammo & targets...), most guns come with a gun lock, but if the one you want doesn't you will have to buy one of those as well.

Total Time and Cost: $422.00, 66 days
(of the estimated minimum Time above, 42 days are just waiting for the application to be processed)

MINIMUM COST FOR LICENSE: Cost of a pistol safety course + Cost of a club membership + $100. If you pick the class and the club by price, you might be able to get cost down to about $325
MINIMUM TIME FOR LICENSE: If you don't live in Boston, you could shave off 3 more days by not doing step 10, and the turnaround time for a license might be less than 5-6 weeks.

*These are steps only required of City-Of-Boston residents. (They may also be required of residents of a few cities surrounding Boston, like Cambridge, Brookline and/or Quincy. I don't know.)

**More on trying to get an unrestricted license rather than a sport/target license. I tried "for all lawful purposes" and was told that I wasn't allowed to get a license "for all lawful purposes". The officer changed my application to "sport/target". You can also try writing in "All lawful purposes - see attached letter". You should definitely have a thorough letter attached stating your need for a license to carry. In Boston, "need" is generally considered to be: a criminal in your neighborhood has attacked you or pulled a gun on you. So, "need" is pretty hard to prove to the BPD. Paint a bleak picture of your situation... If you really want an unrestricted class A, it might be worth talking to the lawyers at www.attorneycohen.com or www.massgunlaw.com for advice and assistance. I don't know their rates.

===========================
The Moon Island Range Test:
===========================
(Don't panic. The test isn't hard. I'm just trying to give as detailed an explanation as possible so there's no fear of the unknown.)

Summary:
You're given a 6 shot police .357 revolver and 30 rounds of .38 special ammunition.
Fire 12 shots, on target, one-handed, double-action, at 7 yards.
Then, fire 18 shots, on target, two-handed, single-or-double-action (read: single-action) at 15 yards.

Passing:
You are being tested for accuracy and gun-handling safety.
The safety part is easy. Don't point the gun at anyone, keep your finger off the trigger when not firing, don't drop the gun, remember what you were taught in class.
To pass the accuracy part, you basically need to get all shots in the black area of the target.
Actual rules for accuracy scoring:
Each shot can score 0 (white part of paper, or missing the target entirely), 8 (outer black ring), 9 (middle black ring) or 10 points (center black ring and bulls eye).
With 30 shots there are 300 maximum available points.
You must score a minimum of 210 points to pass. (i.e., you can miss 3, and get all 8s with the rest, and still pass).
The target is a large, black, squarish oval against a white background. The outside edge of the 8 ring is 12" wide and 18" tall. At the BGRA it is known as the "Boston" target; I don't know if that is the proper name for it. Every range should have it and should know what you're talking about if you ask for one.

Where is it?
Moon Island Range, out past Squantum. The directions they give you are accurate and easy to follow, but the map on which they are printed is a joke.
Drive through Quincy, through Squantum, and at the "Authorized personel only" gate, tell the policeman that you are going for the test.
Drive on the causeway to Moon Island, take the right fork.
You will see abandoned locks on the left side of the road, the range is immediately after them on the left.
Park at the end of the locks on the left-hand side of the road.

Consolidated advice from various people:
In addition to any other practice, try to get some range time less than a week before the test. Double-action revolver triggers are heavy.
The Moon Island range is an outdoor range.
You must bring the piece of paper given to you by the Boston PD when you scheduled the test.
Be at least 5-10 minutes early. If you show up 1 minute after they start the test, they will refuse to let you test and force you to reschedule.
Park in the correct area. If you park past the range, or park on the right side of the road, they will yell at you. You won't fail because of that, or anything, but avoid it.
You can request a gun with a larger/smaller grip if necessary, but you must request it at the time you are given the gun (you can't get out to the firing line and then ask to switch)
Make sure not to drop the gun when it's in the bucket and you're taking it to and from the firing line (hold it with both hands).
For the one-handed part of the test, you might find that your arm gets tired. If so, take three shots, bring your arm down and rest a second, take a full breath, raise the gun, let half the air out, and take the next three shots.
There's no point in rushing, and the police aren't going to rush you.

If you don't pass, the range officer said he would let an applicant take the test a second time, a week or so later, without additional paperwork & fees.

John Jay,

A hearty thank you!

The info you put here is the most concise and valuable info on getting a Boston LTC that I have seen written anywhere to date. This will become a "sticky" when I get thru writing this reply.

> 3 - Sign up for class at BGRA, $150, 1 day

$150?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Holy flaming sphere's of excrement!!! They're either charging way too much or we're charging way too little. [roll]

Excellent information, thanks for posting. I'm glad I waited until I moved North of the city before attempting to get my licese. I imagine any visitors from out of the state of MA (except those who live in California of NYC) will be experience jaw-drop syndrome after reading that report.

Lynne, what is the cost of classes & membership in your neck of the woods? I recommended BGRA for classes because, after calling around to a few places, I thought they were both convenient and competitive. If their prices are high, I'll change the report to mention that.

If you want some quick revolver practice prior to the test, just send me a pm. I'll be glad to do it for $25/hour plus ammo.

John Jay said:
Lynne, what is the cost of classes & membership in your neck of the woods? I recommended BGRA for classes because, after calling around to a few places, I thought they were both convenient and competitive. If their prices are high, I'll change the report to mention that.

Classes (including ours) start at $75.00 and go up from that. We have hands outs (a book, pamphlets, etc) and provide everything for a +/- 6 hour course. Other classes that charge the same do not give the students what we do. Other classes that charge more do not give the students what we do. However, I won't name names. (That's basically what I was talking about in the prices hun).

Memberships...all I know is Haverhill Hound Rod and Gun Club...I'm really not aware of the fees for other clubs.

(Sorry it took so long to respond - I've been having problems with the DSL line since Thurs PM so I've basically been off line.)

I normally charge $75 for the basic course. Membership at Westford is $100/yr with a one-time $150 initiation fee. No initiation fees and half-price dues for spouses. 200+ acres, hunting, fishing, archery. 25yd pistol, 100yd rifle, indoor 50ft pistol (24/7 access).

Ken

Good summary

I would add that they do let you dry-fire the revolvers as much as you want at the range test to familiarize yourself with the action. Mighty nice of them...CONSIDERING.

The only other advice I woud have would be to move out of Boston as quickly as possible (and Massachusetts altogether) as we're planning on doing this spring.

And yes, my license did finally arrive last week. 106 days from the date of application. Now, I just need to re-plenish my "gun fund". I have to have some dental work done nexst week, and found out my "dental" plan doesn't actually cover a lot of "dental" work. Fabulous.

We are having a yard sale coming up. Anyone need a snowboard? A washer/dryer combination unit? A palm sander? Kid's clothes (girl's)? All proceeds on the sale of "my stuff" (as opposed to our stuff") will go toward the purchase of firearms and ammunition, I promise.

Re: Good summary

mAss Backwards said:
The only other advice I woud have would be to move out of Boston as quickly as possible (and Massachusetts altogether) as we're planning on doing this spring.
Never have I lived in a place where so many people are held here against their will! There must be another city with the same economy, schools, and access to beaches, mountains, and cultural events that these poor unfortunates could move to, instead of evil Boston?

Here's what one transplant [Outof Battery] had to say on the SIG forum:
I find it far better as a gun owner here [MA] than I did in my previous residence of "gun friendly" North Carolina. I don't have to go to the sheriff's office to file for purchase permits and wait 5 days to pick them up nor am I limited as to how many guns I can buy at any time. I also have yet to see a business with a no weapons sign whereas in NC,they were quite common. If every CLEO would stand by the intent of the law it really wouldn't be that bad at all. It's funny that many gun owners who tend to pride themselves in knowing the facts before spouting off don't realize that MA gun owners in many ways have more freedom to protect themselves,and others, than in states thought to be far,far more gun friendly. You aren't going to find a 30.06 sign in MA. It's far easier to move to a town with a better CLEO than to pack up and move to another state and there are positive things about living here: great schools,good health care, exceptionally safe, much to do. Yes, at times the extreme liberalism is grating and granted, I do live in the most liberal county in the state but even here, getting my LTC was far easier than in NC.

To add to the process, if you are a business owner they will ask you for bank deposits. Bank deposit receipts don't say if they're cash or checks, or even if you mailed them in or dropped them off: nor does Boston care. They do ask for bank statements confirming the actual deposits. I wasn't sure how many or how much they needed: I gave them a lot.

If you are renewing your LCF (for example, you moved to Boston from another town) they are distinctly more relaxed at the range than if it is new issue. When I went the Commander of the unit was a veteran of the 3rd Infantry Division (and was flying an Army flag in addition to the US flag) and being a fellow veteran made them downright friendly.

The target is large: it is very difficult to miss the center. The pistols are well-worn but accurate. I think they only record pass or fail, not the score, in the logbook, so there is no need to "max" the test.

The irony is that if you have an unrestricted LCF from Boston everyone knows you been through all the abovementioned hoops. So it cuts some slack.

VG said:
mAss Backwards said:
If it is so terrible why did you move here in the first place?

VG you shouldnt have to look at packing.org to see where it is safe to move next. The constitution is there for a reason. I moved to this state from MN, I had no idea the laws were as bad as they are here. :?

derek said:
VG you shouldnt have to look at packing.org to see where it is safe to move next. The constitution is there for a reason. I moved to this state from MN, I had no idea the laws were as bad as they are here. :?
Forgive me if I'm wrong but MN isn't exactly mecca for CCW?

My focus is on making sure that Reilly pays the appropriate political price, like Harshbarger did.

What ticks me off is hearing people whine about firearm rights in MA and then find out they don't belong to the NRA; don't belong to GOAL; don't know their elected politicians positions on these matters; and don't engage their politicians on the issues.

I've made sure my state reps, city councilor, and the mayor all know that I don't like being treated like a criminal because I own a gun. And I tell them, "The politiian that stands up and says, 'We have enough gun laws - we need to enforce what we have' will get a lot of votes."

VG said:
What ticks me off is hearing people whine about firearm rights in MA and then find out they don't belong to the NRA; don't belong to GOAL; don't know their elected politicians positions on these matters; and don't engage their politicians on the issues.

You're not alone in that one hun.

lagrangian said:
But is there any point engaging your state reps when they are people like Marzilli and Havern? Last I checked, they were rated F and D respectively by GOAL (I have joined the NRA and GOAL, though).

Yes, there's a point. If they keep hearing from people about how bad the gun laws are for the lawful, and, if they hear from enough of them, then maybe, just maybe they'll start to listen. I know, I know...hell will freeze over first, but ya never know. Miracles CAN happen.

I just dropped by the the Boston PD HQ this afternoon to pick up the forms. I made a PDF copy of the blanks before filling them out. If anyone has a place to host the pdf or would like a copy to look at feel free to send me pm.

I'm really surprised that the Boston form doesn't ask for references like the generic MA one does.

Nathaniel

In many instances, part of the "safety" test is that the PIC attempts to hand you a revolver with the cylinder closed. The correct response is to say "Open it, please," before accepting the hand-off.

FYI, you can now get a copy of Nathaniel's PDF version of the Boston application on-line, Note that the original is printed on a green paper and, given Boston's approach to all things related to guns, I doubt they'd accept a copy printed at home. Never lived there; never applied there. It's just a suspicion.

Ken

Lynne said:
lagrangian said:
But is there any point engaging your state reps when they are people like Marzilli and Havern? Last I checked, they were rated F and D respectively by GOAL (I have joined the NRA and GOAL, though).

Yes, there's a point. If they keep hearing from people about how bad the gun laws are for the lawful, and, if they hear from enough of them, then maybe, just maybe they'll start to listen. I know, I know...hell will freeze over first, but ya never know. Miracles CAN happen.

Also, if enough people start to say 'I own guns and I vote' they will listen. Example is Bart Stupak. Sort of liberal but dares not to vote on the gun issues because he will not get re-elected because of an extremely pro-gun area of Michigan.

Politicians now adays don't vote with what is right, they vote the way that will ensure them to get re-elected from their district and have money funneled to them by their favorite PAC's.

Brilliant idea, Nathaniel!

FYI: I doubt they'll accept a white-paper version of this PDF. The primary use of the form is as an office aid to help process the request. Paper of a different color than their standard green would be less useful as an aid and thus complicate the process.

But, if you are a prospective applicant, don't overlook the usefulness of that PDF. As you can see, almost all of the requested information is on the first page, left column. And all they ask is your name, address, phone number. There are a few places further in the form where you have to sign releases, oaths of honesty, etc. There isn't anything complicated in the whole batch. The actual, important questions are the state questions (found on the state website), which will be verbally asked during the application interview. Print out Nathaniel's PDF copy, fill it out at home, and, if required, recopy the information by hand onto the official form at the BPD when you get there. By using the PDF that way, you save yourself the bother of having to do that that first, packet-gathering trip to BP Headquarters. For most people, that’s an extra ½ day of work that they don’t have to sacrifice just to make a round trip to Roxbury.

I just noticed something interesting on page 4 of the application, under Class A, Restrictions. There are 2 restrictions: Business, and Target. The implication is that there are no other choices, and that there must be some restriction applied. This is also essentially what was told to me at the time of my application when I tried to apply for a Class A, All Lawful Purposes license. All I ended up getting was a Class A w/Target restriction because I didn't want to tell a police officer to her face that she was wrong. However, mandatory restrictions are not the law; it's just the BPD sticking their oar in and causing the applicant extra trouble. I'm not a lawyer, but if you don't want to put up with that sort of BS, get a lawyer and don't let the BPD pull that sort of trick on you.

Just a little more information. I was originally told a valid US passport would be acceptable instead of birth certificate. My parents still have my birth certificate in their safety deposit box and I didn't want to bother them about it. No such luck, you MUST have a copy of your birth certificate.

Only utility bills (gas, electric, water/sewer) are accepted. They would not accept my cable bills. Bills must be in your name. If you don't have a bill they accept in your name, you must go to Boston City hall and request proof of residency.

To request proof of residency go to the voter registration desk, room 241 in City Hall. The cost is $4, money order only, no cash. You can get a money order at CVS across the street for $5 and change.

I love this town. [roll]

Here is the Document Check List they provided me (different from what they showed me when I picked up my application):

Copy of Birth Certificate
Proof of City of Boston Residency (Voters Registration, Utility Bills)
Copy of your Massachusetts Drivers License
Copy of Naturalization Documentation for Naturalized Citizens
Copy of your old LTC or FID if renewing
Copy of your Massachusetts Approved Basic Firearms Certificate
Letter from Employer ( Conditional w/ Employment Permits)
Letter of current membership in a Massachusetts Gun Club
Proof of Business Ownership in the City of Boston (Non city Residents)
Copy of Business Certificate / Corporation Documents
Bank Relationship Letter and/or Copies of Current Cash Deposit Slips (15)
Letter of Membership and Good Conduct from Bar of Overseers
Copries of closed Restraining Orders to include copies of the affidavits
$100 Cash for LTC/FID 6 years
$25 Cash for Restricted FID for Chemical Propellants (No renewal fees)

May I assume that they are looking for ALL (or most) of these items?

They are missing the boat on not requiring a DNA, urine and fecal sample! [roll] I'm sure that they could get much more out of these than demanding a copy of your birth certificate for each time you apply . . . but I guess that you could have changed your birthplace between LTC applications, right! [roll] [evil]

Not every item is required for every application

For my application, (probably the most common) a sporting restricted license, US citizens, no past restraining orders. I "only" need birth certificate, proof of boston residency, drivers license, saftey cert, gun club letter, and $100 cash.

Yea I'm suprised I didn't have to submit to a hair sample or some other genetic material. Don't worry I'm sure there is legislation for it somewhere.

LenS said:
May I assume that they are looking for ALL (or most) of these items?

They are missing the boat on not requiring a... fecal sample! ....

Sounds like they bend you over and take that one themselves.

Hey all, thanks for all the info. I've got all my paperwork and will be heading in to BPD for my LTC tomorrow. Wish me luck. I'll check back in with any interesting news.

Back
Top Bottom