1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Mass Inspection Parking Brake Failure Question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by HorizontalHunter, Jul 28, 2010.

1. HorizontalHunter

HorizontalHunter NES Member

Yesterday I brought my 01 Nissan Xterra (80K mileage)in for state inspection and it failed due to the parking brake. It failed because "the parking brake would only hold the vehicle in place up to 1,000 to 1,100 RPM and it must hold the vehicle in place for up to 1,200 to 1,300 RPM." I was like WTF I have been bringing in vehicles for inspection for 30 years and I have never heard of this nonsense. I know in this state logic doesn't apply. For an off road vehicle that is geared low like the Xterra this "requirement" can be tough to meet. Regardless The Xterra is now sporting a big red R.

Is this a real requirement or is this a shop that is blowing smoke and looking to generate some income or should I just bring the truck elsewhere?

I know that I can crank down the adjusters and make it pass but it seems like extra work for nothing as the car stops fine and doesn't nose dive or anything like that.

Bob

2. No, its real, the parking brake must hold the car and has been in the inspection criteria for as long as I've had a driver's license....about 38 years.

Its also a way to stop or slow the car if your normal braking system fails....but most drivers probably wouldn't think fast enough to use it under such conditions, they'd just crash.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2010
  3. AppleSeeds

AppleSeeds Member

The guy is busting your nuts over 100 rpm. Sounds like he's trying to make work for himself.

4. FreeWillie

FreeWillie NES Member

This

5. Boghog1

Boghog1 Member

in 10 years of doing inspections I only ever failed one car for parking brake and it couldn't hold the car in gear at idle and it was a stick so it is important, I had my grand cherokee fail a couple of years ago, the actuators were rusted solid from never being used so I spent the afternoon freeing them up, I would take it elsewhere to do the work or do it yourself, brake work is not that hard

6. HorizontalHunter

HorizontalHunter NES Member

Thanks for the input guys. It is good to know that it is a real requirement. I will pop the drums to take a peek and adjust the shoes and then the parking break if needed. I can't believe he is busting my stones over 100 RPM but that is what I get for going top a local dealer just cause it was convenient and there was no line. Now I know why there was no line.[rofl]

Thanks again.

Bob

7. AppleSeeds

AppleSeeds Member

/\/\ Oh, if it was a stealership then that explains everything. Those idiots are constantly trying to make work for themselves.

If you take it elsewhere to be inspected you'll have to pay again for the inspection...

8. LoginName

LoginName NES Member

Many moons ago (back when the vehicle owner remained in the car during the inspection process), I had a Ford van with a broken parking brake cable.

It would have been a pain to fix, so I left it as it was.

To get by inspection, I hooked a toggle switch into the rear brake light wiring.

When the inspector had me engage the brake and told me to put it in gear and slowly release the clutch so the engine would stall, I flipped the toggle switch to kill the power to the brake light (if the brake light came on, he would know I was engaging the foot brake and not the parking brake).

I would then hold the van with the foot brake with one foot, slowly let the clutch out with my other foot, and it gave the impression that my parking brake was holding.

After he gave me the thumbs-up that the brake was fine, I flipped the switch back to restore power to the rear brake lights.

I ran like this for something like 5-6 years and it worked every time. [smile]

2 people like this.
  9. Lucas McCain

Lucas McCain Member

The guy at my garage just asks me if everything is working, plugs in the ALDL connector and PASS! It's a much simpler solution for me. Oh yeah, he takes my $29 for his trouble.

10. 45collector

45collector NES Member

That is awesome. +1 Macgyver.

11. maee

maee Member

First of all, the strength of the parking break depends greatly on how hard you pull it back. If you really put some elbow grease into it, it would probably hold the additional 200 rpm. Its WAY to subjective to just say "Oh, its off by 100 or 200 RPM".

For one thing, there is no way your tachometer is even that well calibrated. Its not like its a finely calibrated laboratory instrument. It only has an accuracy of probably a few hundred RPM anyway. Hell, the graduations on the dial are not even that fine. Secondly, the strength with which you engage it accounts for at least 200 RPM. It sounds to me like he is just trying to take your money.

I've been in the situation where if you take your car to a dealership or dishonest mechanic for inspection, they will F you over to nickle and dime you. Its best to take your car to some hole in the wall that just does inspections. Unless its really a big problem, they usually are not going to find fault.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  12. CLMN

CLMN Member

Those were the good old days! [smile] My story is very similar. [grin] I shifted it into gear alright... but just left the clutch almost all the way in. [grin] Then I would rev the engine like mad. Invariably, they would yell "Okay, Okay"... and that would be the end of that issue.

Later, with another car, a dealer gave me a very hard time. They wanted almost two grand to get the parking brake working again. I found a guy at a garage who was able to loosen it up and make it work again for free. Passed for another year! [smile]

Now it is completely frozen beyond repair... so it's up to me to shop around for a "sympathetic" inspection station... just like the illegal aliens do. [wink]

CLMN

13. Tim94gt

Tim94gt Member

So they are idiots for following the rules and trying to make a living?

I do understand that the parking brake is pretty much unused in 90% of the modern cars equipped with an auto trans. While, I don't agree with the standard, I don't blame the Tech who failed it.

Oh ya, when the "Stealership" calls you to SELL work, it is not stealing. You have the option to buy the work or not, nobody is stealing anything. It's called making a living,

14. BWhite

BWhite Member

It has been a requirement for ages . The registry is working hard to stop half arse inspections . Latest push is no more plate frames allowed .

15. crazymjb

crazymjb NES Member

yup, never have had a working parking break, they failed me for the first time this year. everything was rusted solid, took a good 5-6 hours to fix it.

Mike

16. CLMN

CLMN Member

There is nothing more evil than a license plate frame. Thank God Almighty that the PRM has recognized this terrible threat and decided to ban them!

But remember... When license plate frames are outlawed, only outlaws will own license plate frames!!!

CLMN

17. BWhite

BWhite Member

I think they are getting ready for photo radar and redlights .

18. matt1956

matt1956 Member

+1 most of these guys get paid by the JOB not the hour. And if they dont bill enough hours for the dealer to make the dealer money, they get fired. everything is getting tighter and tighter, dont blame them for trying. and i can assure you that any other local shop will will try the same thing.

Yup, the state is going after shops more and more. if you dont fall in line, you loose your ability to do stickers, plan and simple. that is a big hurt on a shop.

I remember a few years back having a dealer fail my truck for a lic fram and tail light covers. the tail light covers were bought and installed in the freaking bay next to the inspection booth not even two months earlier (wife got them for me). I told them to kiss my A*# and left. technically they were right.

the moral of the story, some shops will bust your balls, others wont.

all depends on their mood, if the boss is standing there and such.

19. Lignum Vitea

Lignum Vitea Member

Had a shop in Westfield try to pull the parking brake crap on my TDI Jetta during inspection. I jumped in the car pumped the hand brake few good times & then cranked up on it, told them to try the test again. It passed when the car moved forward dragging the rear tires.

20. JackDaniels

JackDaniels Member

I had snapped mine years ago, and I actually followed the guy into the garage and held the truck in place by leaning against the bed so that it wouldn't roll when he put it in neutral. He never checked it, the light came on when he stepped on the brake and that was good enough for him. Actually, he never checked a damn thing except emissions. I went there year after year.

Anyway, the guy who did your test is a ball buster and you should avoid him at all costs. The guy I used to go to was completely disregarding all of the safety tests. you should try to find someone in between.