• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

EVERY SHOOTER Should Get a C&R FFL!

Lynne,

Actually I should have said I'd only stop crying if you bought me a new gun.

Whatever would your hubby think of me buying you such an intimate item?

I know what my wife would think. AND do. (we need an emoticon for a rolling pin over the head)

CAUTION: Serious question follows:

Does a C&R License allow dealers to mail a C&R firearm to you via USPS, as FFLs may do?

C&R holders may ship AND receive C&R firearms.

I won't bother getting a C&R, unless my father goes out of business. Not much sense when I get free transfers and no hassles.

I used to be a regular FFL, and gave it up after a move.

Nickle,

C&R holders may ship AND receive C&R firearms.

I should have been more specific. I know that a C&R can ship and receive C&R firearms. But can they do it through the USPS or does it have to be via another common carrier such as UPS or FEDEX?

This question was asked on another board. A C&R holder ordered a C&R firearm but the seller made him pay something like $42 for UPS vs about $17 or so for USPS.

Doesn't make any difference FFL, C&R or "non-licensed legally shipping".

Handguns must go common carrier (IIRC), long arms may go mail.

Check the BATFE's website. It's numerous places here.

Len, I see your experiences mirror mine pretty much. I wouldn't ship a firearm USPS on a bet. They're the best for everything else, though. Yeah, I prefer to have Midway ship USPS, besides, it takes half as long.

FPrice said:
You guys are gonna get me in sooooooo much trouble for this.

I have a C&R rifle showing up on Saturday. I hope the wife believes that box only holds 1 20lb stock. "No honey, it's not ANOTHER rifle". [wink]

Boy, I'm glad I don't have to hear that. My wife bitched just one time about the number of guns I have. She told me "No more guns, until you get something better to keep them in." (I was terribly disorganized). So, she and the kids got me a gun safe for Christmas that year, and it was HER idea.

Of course, I don't bitch about her shopping, so why should she bitch about mine?

I keep a few in my locker at work. She doesn't really bitch about them but when UPS or FedEx pulls up I get the "What did you order now?" quiz. It's easier to say, just some more parts. Much less "splaining" to do.
Now that my 13yr old daughter is shooting, I have to find a preban AR lower so I can build her a nice "real" rifle and of course, I can play with it too!

Oh, mine asks, sometimes, and wants to see it, but I haven't been able to interest her in rifles, yet, except for a nice purple 22 she saw. She knows it's probably not practical, but she thinks it was "cute". Probably end up having to get 2 of them, one for each granddaughter. The wife's more of a pistol person, she loves her 22 Bersa. Not a great gun, but she does have fun with it.

Skald said:
Ok, I have just ordered the forms.

Now, if I read this correctly, I can order an M1911's as long as they are mfg. prior to 1955, right and I don't go and sell it?

You can order any gun, as long as it's over 50 years old and on the "approved" C&R list. You then, if over the internet, send the seller a copy of your C&R, signed, for their records. You can sell it at some point down the road if you wish, but the C&R isn't like an FFL where you can buy and sell to make money. It's for collecting only.

Lynne said:
Skald said:
Ok, I have just ordered the forms.

Now, if I read this correctly, I can order an M1911's as long as they are mfg. prior to 1955, right and I don't go and sell it?

You can order any gun, as long as it's over 50 years old and on the "approved" C&R list. You then, if over the internet, send the seller a copy of your C&R, signed, for their records. You can sell it at some point down the road if you wish, but the C&R isn't like an FFL where you can buy and sell to make money. It's for collecting only.

Lynne, you have one important point incorrectly.

The gun must be EITHER >50 years old OR on the C&R List (available on BATFE website).

It's a very important distinction. . . to our advantage.

OK, so the BAT(FE)men sent me 2 form 7CR's, nad a form 1370.2.

Now, 7CR has two parts, which, if I'm reading correctly, I send part one back to the BATFE and part two to my local police chief.

So what do I do with the second form 7CR, and what should I order on the 1370.2? Or do I wait until I actually get the C&R FFL before ordering? Isn't there some kind of record book I will have to have?

Ross

I just sent a photocopy of my 7CR to the chief, along with a letter clearly stating that he didn't need to do anything.

You will need a "bound book" to record all transfers of curios and relics, even ones you didn't buy using your FFL. For example, my CMP Garand is in my book. Being a geek, I use Excel to track everything and just print out the relevant page to put in my binder when anything changes. You have to keep a printout; the electronic version is not enough. Brownells sells one, at a discount to FFL holders, if you'd rather inscribe things by hand. :)

Len,

the form 7CR has 4 pages; the first two are marked "Copy 1 - ATF Copy" and the last two are marked "Copy 2 - CLEO".

Wouldn't I just separate the two sets of pages and send them to the appropriate places? why would I have to xerox anything?

And is just those 2 pages and a check for $30 all I need to send in?

Ross

Are you guys applying for the first time?

I received a pre-filled out ATF Form 8 (5310.11) from BATFE for my Renewal and just had to fill out the questions. Only got one copy of the form with directions to make a copy and send it to my CLEO. Also enclosed was ATF F 5330.20 (3-2002) where you attest that are a US Citizen (or alien with weird antennae [wink] ).

DR,

You will need a "bound book" to record all transfers of curios and relics, even ones you didn't buy using your FFL.

Are you sure about the last part? For example, if I buy a C&R from my local FFL, it is recorded in his book, and I have bought it from his business, not under my C&R FFL.

BTW, I have my application in hand, but being the stickler I am I'm looking for a typewriter to do it. My printing is above average for a man but I still like to type applications like this.

Len, this is my first time applying for a C&R.

Frosty, I have a typewriter if you want to come over and borrow it... I keep it solely for forms that have to be typed.

Ross

FPrice said:
DR,

You will need a "bound book" to record all transfers of curios and relics, even ones you didn't buy using your FFL.

Are you sure about the last part? For example, if I buy a C&R from my local FFL, it is recorded in his book, and I have bought it from his business, not under my C&R FFL.

But do you need to fill out an FA-10 when you buy with your C&R? If so, wouldn't it be to your advantage to buy with your C&R? And, you do you need the NICS check when using your C&R?

All C&R aquisitions have to be recorded in the book. ONLY C&R firearms must be recorded. If you had a C&R firearm prior to getting the 03 you not not have to record it.
FA10 must still be filled out for all C&R aquisitions.
No NICS checks for C&R purchases.
You made find that some local shops will not take your 03. The 03 C&R license was created to facilitate out of state purchases.
Jon

Hope this helps...

If you buy any c&r eligible firearm after you become licensed, you need to record this into your bound book, makes no difference whether you used your c&r or your LTC/FID

If you sell/trade a c&r firearm that you acquired before being licensed only needs to be logged out as a disposition.

No NICS check are required if buying a c&r eligible firearm.

An FA10 is required on all purchases whether c&r or not. ( State law)

No 4473's are required to be done by the dealer, although some do just to cover themselves.

To the original point: BATFE seems to have different forms for new vs. renewal.

There are numerous opinions about logging in BB. The general wisdom is that YOU are Licensed, regardless of how you obtain the gun and therefore are BOUND by the BATFE Regs on record-keeping. I log everything in that is C&R. I do not buy guns on a street corner from some guy that goes "psst, wanna buy a gun?", so I have no fear of keeping records (that most likely nobody else will ever see anyway).

FA-10s are REQUIRED for ANY gun acquisition, regardless of how obtained. So, if I buy it on my C&R in MA, the dealer has the choice of doing the paperwork or leaving it to me to do. I've had it go both ways, but only 1 FA-10 need be filed so it matters not how it is done. If I do it, I do NOT provide "seller" info and mark it as a "Registration" in the checkbox.

NICS need not be done on any FFL purchase, including C&R FFL (ONLY for C&R qualified guns). Again, I've had this go both ways . . . sometimes filling out a 4473 and NICS and other times no paperwork, whatever makes the dealer/seller comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom