• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

?

Legal FA needs a Pre-May-1986 registered sear, 10K and up. (It's likely far more than that now). Anyone who is not an LE/Mil org or a full blown FFL/SOT has to basically deal with buying the pre-86 stuff and paying big money for it.

The lower alone is not enough for a conversion. There are substantial differences between things like an HK94 and an MP5.

-Mike

Last edited:
Been doing some online searching and i have been looking into upgrading my Bobcat Weapons BW-5 9mm with a select fire group. I have found several "navy 3-4 position pictogram select fire lowers" on an auction site for around $700. but would you still need a registered sear if you purchase one of this ready to go lowers?
Yes if you want your gun to be legal you need a registered sear.
Further searching online finds me a site that basicly says those navy lowers are illegal, unless they have been registered as a conversion device with the ATF or made before 86'
They are not illegal, anymore than the $100 SEF G3 lowers you can buy all over the place, you just can't do anything with them unless you either have a registered reciever gun, or clip/pin them.
2nd question is i'd like to make this and SBR also. so that would entail me filing a form 1 and also a form 4 at the same time, correct?
Form 1 is make, form 4 is to transfer, all you need to do is form 1 it to SBR it. Of course if it is your only host and you put a registered sear in it you don't need to SBR it
Has anyone already gone thru this process already of converting a semi HK type to select fire? please shed some light on this murky subject?
Do more research, it is pretty clear cut...buy a registered sear or pack...

My mp5 is a cut down 94 and a sear. At the time I had the 94 I also had an sp 89. So, in order to swap the pack around I form 1ed the 94 into a stand alone sbr. So, I can remove the pack and shoot it with a semi pack. Also, no potential issues if you remove the pack to move it to another platform.
ATF would say that removing the pack would leave you with a non registered SBR.

Although I don't know for sure. I have to think that if you have a registered sear installed into any pack you are safe. I think the issue is probably that ALL of the navy lowers probably came through with sears installed so, that would be a definite no no in the eyes of atf (as the sear is the registered part). Or stretching it.. It could be the old push pin lower issue. But, I do know that they are out there and I have seen one or two with a registered sear installed.

On the flip side. I don't really see a huge benefit to the 2 or 3 shot lower. I have never had an issue doing 2-3-4-5 shot bursts out of the 0-1-30 lower. Under combat conditions this probably makes a lot of sense to control running out of ammo. But, if you are going to see action then that is probably a topic for a different forum.

Last edited:
If you have a registered sear it can be installed in a clipped SEF or Navy trigger pack. The sear is the registered MG here not the pack (in most cases) but you can also find registered packs which are the MG so they would be SEF only and you will never be able to have the option of burst.

If you haven't bought one yet i'd go with the registered sear. Then you can move it between hosts and have it installed in either a SEF pack or Navy pack and have all the different burst options available to you.

+1 on the registered sear. Just make sure your other "host" weapons are SBR'd( if they need to be) I have heard of folks getting burned moving a registered sear to a diffrent host weapon that had a Short Barrell with no approved Form 4!

Back
Top Bottom