• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1000yd range in New England

I'm just getting into long(er) distance shooting, but would definitely be interested in this. Once a month max for me and I'd be willing to pay for membership and/or per visit.

I'd pay $50/match to shoot on e-targets.

That's 55% more than I pay now to suffer through pit duty, pit changes, and 6 hours to shoot a 3x600.

I would go at least 6 times a year, would try for monthly.

I would be willing to pay extra for e targets.

I am willing to get a membership to use a range with that distance even though it's a fair ride from here in CT.

If all ranges had electronic targets, you'd be done by noon-time at the latest.

The idea I got when I read this was being able to shoot a 500 agg after work. (At least in the summer.) Maybe weekly, or at least a couple of times a month.

I wonder what the NRA thinks of electronic targets for highpower. The rules don't currently cover it, but I sure hope it's the way of the future.

I am looking at real estate in NH now. This just sweetens the search, now if only that OBR GB would get off the ground...

I wonder what the NRA thinks of electronic targets for highpower. The rules don't currently cover it, but I sure hope it's the way of the future.

It doesn't matter what they think. So long as the match is shot on targets that meet the rulebook dimensions, submit the scores and they won't be the wiser.

When it comes to registered matches and state championships, clubs should force the NRA into the future, not be held back by idiots.

1. The Pemi’s about 2 hours north of Boston, about 2 hours up I-93. If we ran a long-range match once a month (during the warm months!), would you make many of the matches? Would you come to 2 a month?

Once a month maybe, probably not two. This is only because of my kids' competitive sports schedule.

2. Would you prefer 1-day matches or 2-day matches?
1 day.

3. We’re looking into electronic targets. As expensive as they are, that would save us the expense of building target carriers and putting in pits. Also, it would eliminate pit changes and the need to pull targets (or pay for target pullers). It would also eliminate the need to move back to each new distance (600, 800, 900, 1,000). There MAY be some loss of accuracy, and there may be some technical glitches from time to time. In your mind, would this be a good trade off? Would you be willing to pay a little more per match to avoid having to pull targets?

For matches this may make sense. However, for general use I would prefer a few traditional paper targets for accuracy testing. And steel for "fun."

4. Would you be willing to make a contribution (not now, but when we get the permits) to the range’s construction costs whether as an outright gift or in the form of pre-paid membership fees or pre-paid match fees? What would be fair in your mind?

Yes, but I'd want to have some idea of how long it would be before the range would be ready. 1-2 years out would be acceptable. 5 years, not so much. $250 in the form of prepaid fees (matches, memberships, or daily) would be reasonable to me.

5. Do you know any die-hard shooters who just won the lottery? No? yeah, me neither. Do you have ideas about companies that might be worth approaching for donations?

Sig, Ruger, Wilcox/H&K (yeah right!)

If you build a 1000yd range and allow .50 BMG I would definitely ask to join. If you plan to allow these big boys you will need to design your firing points with this in mind. An "open" firing line with a .50 BMG on it isn't particularly efficient, as the blast from the muzzle brake takes a little space. A little forethought in design would make the experience more enjoyable for everyone. If you don't allow the .50 BMG (or .408 Chey Tac, .338 Lapua, .416 Barrett, etc) I think you will unnecessarily limit your potential members.

Given the lack of 1000 yd ranges in the area, you may be busier than you think. Since you are a little out of the way you may want to consider some simple manner of reserving firing points during busy periods. I'm only an hour or so away, but I'd be upset as a member if I drove up from southern MA only to find a 3 hour wait or worse all the lanes full for the day.

Good luck. I really hope this project succeeds and that you might consider me as a member.

For matches this may make sense. However, for general use I would prefer a few traditional paper targets for accuracy testing.
If the monitors are available for members to use outside of matches (as they are in every club that has them in Europe) it would be retarded to use paper for anything involving rifle work.

For matches this may make sense. However, for general use I would prefer a few traditional paper targets for accuracy testing.
Why? Do you really want to take 3 shots, call a cease fire, get in your truck and drive a 1/4 mile to check your target? At 1000 yards, you are not going to be able to see your holes in the target with your spotting scope.

If the monitors are available for members to use outside of matches (as they are in every club that has them in Europe) it would be retarded to use paper for anything involving rifle work.

Maybe this is retarded. I've never used them so I don't really understand their output. I assumed (wrongly) that they just score hits in a certain ring. Now I understand better how they work. So if they are available during non-match times, this would be clearly better.

I guess I'm just still a little skeptical of the electronics and how they work. For instance, what happens if someone shoots the sensor(s)? How long does the target itself last? Do they stand up to large caliber projectiles? Radio interference? I'm sure there are already answers to these questions if they have been in use for a long time. I will go and educate myself.

I guess I'm just still a little skeptical of the electronics and how they work.

These things have been in hard use in Europe, both indoors and outdoors, in all kinds of clubs for decades.

These systems are the olympic and world cup standard.

There is nothing left to prove.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Yes, once a month excluding the winter
2. 1 day matches
3. electronic
4. I'd be willing to prepay

I'll definitly come and shoot if it gets built.

Last edited:
Why? Do you really want to take 3 shots, call a cease fire, get in your truck and drive a 1/4 mile to check your target? At 1000 yards, you are not going to be able to see your holes in the target with your spotting scope.

Either that or have to find a partner to pull and mark the target for you for every shot.

I would imagine casual use of the 1000yd range would be limited to dues paying members who have been "checked out" or qualified to shoot at that range. I can see problems arising with idiots wanting to try out their new SKS at long range.

Lots of people just dont realize just what 1000yds is....I was speaking with a couple of guys the other day about 600yds. I asked, how much do you come up for 200yds vs 600yds...I got, 2 or 3 clicks on my scope...they didnt understand the whole MOA concept

Lots of people just dont realize just what 1000yds is....I was speaking with a couple of guys the other day about 600yds. I asked, how much do you come up for 200yds vs 600yds...I got, 2 or 3 clicks on my scope...they didnt understand the whole MOA concept

.22 lr is good to go right?

What are these "clicks" that you speak of? [devil]

Typical fudds

I would imagine casual use of the 1000yd range would be limited to dues paying members who have been "checked out" or qualified to shoot at that range. I can see problems arising with idiots wanting to try out their new SKS at long range.

At the local HP club here you cannot use the 500 and 600 yard lines unless you a) have an NRA HP classification or B) have undergone a checkout at each of those distances.

Stupid rifles like AKs and SKS are highly discouraged at those distances.

At the local HP club here you cannot use the 500 and 600 yard lines unless you a) have an NRA HP classification or B) have undergone a checkout at each of those distances.

Stupid rifles like AKs and SKS are highly discouraged at those distances.

I hear an AK is pretty awesome at an area target @600+ yards.

I hear an AK is pretty awesome at an area target @600+ yards.

AKsightleaf.jpg

If the russians put it there, it is because it's for true hardasses that don't suck at breathing oxygenated air.

AKsightleaf.jpg

If the russians put it there, it is because it's for true hardasses that don't suck at breathing oxygenated air.

Yeah dude and the Ford Pinto's speedo went to 110 mph. I can throw together a pressed rifle and stick "10" on it but in the end what do you have?

1. The Pemi’s about 2 hours north of Boston, about 2 hours up I-93. If we ran a long-range match once a month (during the warm months!), would you make many of the matches? Would you come to 2 a month?

I'd be up for one match a month. I could see my self making it there several times a month if it was also open for practice though. I expect a competition to last most of the day were as practicing would be an hour or two before or after work on weekdays or a few hours on the weekends.

2. Would you prefer 1-day matches or 2-day matches?

1-day. Depends on the format of the 2 day match though, I don't know what typically goes on in a 2-day match. If the competition spans two days and you need to attend both to compete, I'd think the turn out would be much lower. However if it was something that could be split into two days like steel targets at various distances on Saturday and paper target at 1,000 yard on Sunday that might work well. Those that could only make one day could participate and those that wanted to do both have a full weekend.

3. We’re looking into electronic targets. As expensive as they are, that would save us the expense of building target carriers and putting in pits. Also, it would eliminate pit changes and the need to pull targets (or pay for target pullers). It would also eliminate the need to move back to each new distance (600, 800, 900, 1,000). There MAY be some loss of accuracy, and there may be some technical glitches from time to time. In your mind, would this be a good trade off? Would you be willing to pay a little more per match to avoid having to pull targets?

I don't know much about electronics target but after 20 or so minutes of research they look like they are worth it. I've shot at an old school pit and I can certainly understand how the constructions costs of a traditional pit could get expensive. A concern I have is the security and durability of the electronic targets. How long do they last? What kind of maintenance do they require. Will they only be available for matches or can any Pemi member sign them out for practice?

4. Would you be willing to make a contribution (not now, but when we get the permits) to the range’s construction costs whether as an outright gift or in the form of pre-paid membership fees or pre-paid match fees? What would be fair in your mind?

I'd be willing to prepay some fees upfront. It would be nice of they went toward prepaying for membership or matches. Even if I never even made it to the range I would still see another 1000 yard range being available in New Hampshire as a great thing.

5. Do you know any die-hard shooters who just won the lottery? No? yeah, me neither. Do you have ideas about companies that might be worth approaching for donations?

No

Back
Top Bottom