• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1000 Yard Range

Looks like fun,but way too far for me to drive to justify $175 a year.

Now if I could pay $75 for orientation and safety good for lifetime and $20 every time I show up would be cool.Went to a range in the White Mountains a while back that just charges like $10 for non members to shoot,really nice range had 600yd I think.Cant remember the name of the range but long range was on a hillside.

The club was offering lifetime memberships a few months back. Do not know if they still are. Contact one of the officers listed on the web site and ask. It included full access to everything.

Somehow I missed these updates. I drive past Alderbrook regularly, but I'm not a member. I also drive past SAWS; didn't know he was the president of the club.

Funny part: Alderbrook is practically the other side of the mountain from Ridgeline, so now we've got two long ranges up here!

Anyone know of a good campground or even wilderness camping area near by?

Camping??? That's what we DO up here!

NH Family Camping at Mountain Lake Campground RV Park & Log Cabins
Forest Lake State Park - Dalton, NH
Rv Camping - Burns Lake Campground in New Hampshire
Lisbon, New Hampshire Lodging | Littleton / Franconia Notch KOA
Roger's Campground & Motel – (603) 788-4885 | 10 Roger's Campground Rd. Lancaster NH 03584
Crazy Horse Family Campground

I'm one of those people whose eyes are bad enough I'd need a scope the size of the Hubble telescope to see anything that far away.

here ya go.
aoGHRXwl.jpg

Is that where you measure the accuracy in MKA? Minute of Kim's Ass ? if it can hit a real life pic of her derriere at 1000 yards its 1 MKA, right?

Glad you mentioned this. I certainly do not want to involve you in a personal argument, but my friend thinks that I am viable at that distance with my Savage bolt action .223 rifle. Am I sadly mistaken or are his claims realistic?

I'm interested in joining, and I know a few other dudes who would be as well, but it's a bit of a hike for us. Being able to make a weekend of it would be awesome.
There's a KOA right up the street from me in Twin Mountain. About 20 Minutes from the club.

Glad you mentioned this. I certainly do not want to involve you in a personal argument, but my friend thinks that I am viable at that distance with my Savage bolt action .223 rifle. Am I sadly mistaken or are his claims realistic?

Maybe - is your rifle's twist rate fast enough to stabilize the heavier bullets that would work out there at 1k?

As far as I know, no camping allowed.

Somehow I missed these updates. I drive past Alderbrook regularly, but I'm not a member. I also drive past SAWS; didn't know he was the president of the club.

Funny part: Alderbrook is practically the other side of the mountain from Ridgeline, so now we've got two long ranges up here!

Camping??? That's what we DO up here!

NH Family Camping at Mountain Lake Campground RV Park & Log Cabins
Forest Lake State Park - Dalton, NH
Rv Camping - Burns Lake Campground in New Hampshire
Lisbon, New Hampshire Lodging | Littleton / Franconia Notch KOA
Roger's Campground & Motel – (603) 788-4885 | 10 Roger's Campground Rd. Lancaster NH 03584
Crazy Horse Family Campground

If you want to really get out there, try AMC Greenleaf near Mt. Lafayette or the Mt. Cabot Hut. I have no idea about the gun policy of AMC huts. Mt. Cabot is really secluded.

Greenleaf Hut at Mount Lafayette | AMC

Cabot Cabin - Section Hikers Backpacking Blog

Maybe - is your rifle's twist rate fast enough to stabilize the heavier bullets that would work out there at 1k?
The owner's manual that came with my rifle indicates that it was test-fired with a 69 grain Sierra Match King round. I called Savage customer service and was told that all Savage bolt-action .223 rifles are tested with this round. I think the twist is 1 in 9.

The owner's manual that came with my rifle indicates that it was test-fired with a 69 grain Sierra Match King round. I called Savage customer service and was told that all Savage bolt-action .223 rifles are tested with this round. I think the twist is 1 in 9.

I’d go with more of a 1 in 8 or 1 in 7 for a 69g.

I’d go with more of a 1 in 8 or 1 in 7 for a 69g.
I wouldn't waste the time trying to shoot a 69 out to 1000 yards. Nobody uses them at 600 or even 300 anymore, either.
1-9, forget it. Need a 1-7 at a minimum if you are hoping for any kind of success at 1000 with a 223.

I wouldn't waste the time trying to shoot a 69 out to 1000 yards. Nobody uses them at 600 or even 300 anymore, either.
1-9, forget it. Need a 1-7 at a minimum if you are hoping for any kind of success at 1000 with a 223.

Furthest I’ve been successful at was 800 with a 77g and 1-7. I’m sure a 1000 is possible just not probable for me.

Received Expert rifleman rating during quals with M16 at PI during boot. Green tip M855 was the issued load and I successfully whacked targets out to 500 yards. That is the furthest that I have ever fired. Only have 3 rifles at home: Savage .308, Savage .223 and little Jill's .22 rimfire. Usually, I shoot at 200 yards and use M193 ball in the .223.

I was chatting with a dude plugged into the Minuteman PRS league yesterday,and he was telling me Alderbrook has 1500 and is in the planning stages to push more, is this true? If so, incredible. I'll be joining after the holidays.

The president of Alderbrook owns SAWS Manufacturing in Whitefield. He's a custom gunsmith.

I track them on social media, I didn't realize he was the president. That is even more encouraging. I have to get up there and check it out some time soon.

Back
Top Bottom