• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1000' yard fun!

I was fortunate enough to have a buddy that invited me to a private range this fall. We loaded up early and arrived at 11:30 am to find we had the range all to ourselves! The set up was awesome. There were / targets at 200, 300, 400, 600 and 1000 yards. My buddy brought all kinds of rifles and I brought my AR and 30-06. He is a very experienced shooter. I have never shot the long distances. We started out zeroing and checking the rifles at 50 yards and then moved out from there. We ended up spending 5 hours out there! What an absolute blast this was! I am hooked. I was able to hit targets at all distances including the 1000' ( small 8"x8" steel ). I shot my 30-06 out to 600 yards but it was kicking my ass ( shoulder ) so I never tried further. It is a cheap Remington 700 ( composite ) and I soon realized the light weight of it meant that energy was beating my shoulder! :)

I hope to get to do it some more next season.

Below is a video, taken from my iphone, placing it on the spotting scope. This target is the 1000 yard one. I am shooting my buddies Lapua .338. What a amazing weapon! I can only dream about owning one. :) I also included a couple pictures of the set up.

[video]https://youtu.be/qhgcYucqz3w[/video]

Hardware.jpg

Range.jpg

Damn that's awesome. This is in NH?

Some fancy looking rifles. I'd love to shoot out that far.

Very Nice...one of the things on my bucket list is to hit a target at 1000 yds. I will probably get the chance this April. I'm heading out to a good friend's place in AZ who used to shoot for the AZ Nat'l Guard team...the range they use has several 1000 yard lines. I am so looking forward to it.

Very cool and looks like a great setup. I'm envious of the .338 Lapua.

Just so you know, we have a 1,000 yard range here in MA at Granby Bow & Gun. There are quite a few threads about it here on NES.

And to think I got all excited when I was able to position my picnic table and target in my yard back yard to get 75yards for pellet gun.
Nice set up... there's some nice rifles there also. Looks like a few Palma match style guns there also.

Damn that's awesome. This is in NH?

Some fancy looking rifles. I'd love to shoot out that far.

Yes it was. There were some very nice rifles ( including some match ones ).

[thumbsup] Is your buddy accepting any more buddies?[smile]

Haha! It wasn't his range, but he knows the owner so good enough! I need to meet the owner myself! ;)

It looks like you could see the bullet trace through the scope.

Yes you can! very cool watching it through the spotting scope. The .338 ammo was fairly easy to see the trace. Reminded me of the Matrix.

OP what scopes did you use?

Nightforce. Although I am unsure of the models ( there were a couple ).

It was a lot of fun! I also learned a ton from him. Just a fun side note, the Lapua ammo is about $5 a round! Although my buddy reloads his own. We had a Chronograph set up and we took meticulous notes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom