• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

100 rd AR15 intro suggestions?

msdamato

NES Member
OK, so first priority is my wife. I would like to get her familiar with the AR platform. Also I have many friends that know I own firearms and have asked to go shooting, some who specifically want to shoot the AR15.

And so with ammo being what it is now I'd like some ideas on a good all around intro to the AR 15 using 100 rounds.

I'll be at 100yd range with target stands at 25 50 and 100 yards.

I'm thinkung Course of fire should include different body positions, bench rest, limited quick fire drills.

Load up a mag and get it sighted in first then Get as many mags as you possibly can and load up with only 2-3 rounds to practice mag drills, if the club you are at lets you do that. Loading up full mags and blasting away does nothing for the tactical use of the firearm in a live situation!

Charles.

I always do five round mags with new shooters. Not for tactical training though, usally just to slow the pace and train the loading and functioning of the firearm.

Maybe put some snap caps in the mags too.

For new shooters, I would start with familiarization of the operating mechanism, field stripping and controls. Them I would do a quick intro to Basic Rifle Marksmanship followed by the discussion of different available zeroes and their pros and cons. After this, I would have the shooter zero the rifle, and do some shooting from the prone position at targets from 25-100 yards.
After this, go into malfunction clearance. I would mostly do it dry with snap caps to save ammo. After this, focus on offset and have shooters engage targets from 0 - 25 yards standing. No need for anything "tactical" or any positional shooting. Just get them comfortable with the rifle and the mechanical offset.

Andy, thats pretty much what I was thinking. Like a mini CMP clinic with some fun qick shooting drills and multiple targets at the end. Not so worried with new shooters about malfunction training but some snap caps are a good thought to touch on it a bit.

But, then the questionnis how to focus the ammo alotment?

I instruct all my new shooters with a .22 kit. It is not about the "tactical" shooting as much as it is about trigger control and basic fuction of the platform.

Is she / are they already comfortable with a rifle?

If not - if on paper 7-10 yards to start if possible, maybe 25 with large size reactive targets. But big and close and hard to miss.
Then move out once the manual of arms is down and groupings are halfway decent.
And most importantly - leave while it's still fun, even if there's plenty of ammo left.

Easy and fun the first time means lots of requests for future trips out.
Hot and dirty and sweaty and frustrating with obscure range commands and army drills that go on and on is no fun and turns into a resented chore real fast.

Back
Top Bottom