10 Worst states for deer hunting…

This is the reason I'm hoping to buy a front-stuffer before next year. Increased season length.

I can't say I see the problem with DST - the actual hours of sun are the same, just shifted on the clock. But then, my difficulty is entirely self-imposed - I just need to be better at making time to go out.

Yes but when you get out of work at 2 or so like I do ( I work for myself ) I am home by 2:30, in the woods by 2:45 ( its a couple Mins up the rd where I hunt ) so when you loose an hour with a flip of switch when DST happens now I loose that hour of hunting.
When you wake up in the morning, head out hunting it doesn't matter the time when the sun goes down, but it makes a big difference when your trying to squeeze in an afternoon hunt after work you loose that hour, it sucks.

I put 46 hours in the bush a few weeks back, took the first few days off then hunted every afternoon and lost out on those hours compared to when duck first opened, I was on the water till 6:20 or so.

A typical mid evening in my neck of the woods...in my field behind the house...late October...deer season was a week away and I can't shoot any because I need to have a Missouri driver's license for thirty days. I was still three weeks away...

In MO, if you are a resident and over 65, you don't need a hunting or fishing license, just a tag for deer (<$18) or if you're fishing for trout, a tag for that...I think that's about $10.

Interesting thing here is that the multiple deer tags are for antlerless deer for most of the season...the bucks are much more protected.

1640043974676.jpeg

1640044131724.jpeg

And across the road...

1640044310653.jpeg

Last edited:
I used to do a lot of Archery got a nice ( older ) bow, but I muffed up my shoulder and have a hard time not pulling but holding it steady after a few seconds. I have put in for the "cross bow" exemption only to be denied, I will try yet again but I can't understand why I need an exemption if i'm killing a deer with the same thing as a bow an arrow or bolt. I get its more accurate and easier to shoot but we shouldn't have to jump threw hopes either to use it.

ETA, and yes I agree changing mass laws is not going to happen and I live and hunt in zone 8.
Wow I haven’t heard of anyone being denied and I know some people that got the medical card and they are perfectly fine just wanted a crossbow. Maybe a different doctor or a new bow the let off technology is amazing now.
Shoot me a pm if you ever want to hunt sometime or want some ideas on good spots I believe you are in the town I grew up in.

A typical mid evening in my neck of the woods...in my field behind the house...late October...deer season was a week away and I can't shoot any because I need to have a Missouri driver's license for thirty days. I was still three weeks away...

In MO, if you are a resident and over 65, you don't need a hunting or fishing license, just a tag for deer (<$18) or if you're fishing for trout, a tag for that...I think that's about $10.

Interesting thing here is that the multiple deer tags are for antlerless deer for most of the season...the bucks are much more protected.

View attachment 554478

View attachment 554480

And across the road...

View attachment 554488
This is a properly managed state. 1 buck tag, and enough antlerless deer that everyone shoots a doe or two for meat and doesnt go overboard.

When I hunted in Kentucky it was the same. Lots of deer, liberal doe tags, but they would only shoot one or two for yearly meat, there was no big deal shooting a doe. It was all about getting a big buck. They had NO interest in shooting a bunch of does and ruining their herd numbers. And either antler restrictions, or nobody wanted/needed to shoot a small buck as does were plentiful.

Yes there are going to be deer/car collisions....that's part of the deal when the hunting is good. MA has no interest in making the state good for hunting.

Last edited:
This is a properly managed state. 1 buck tag, and enough antlerless deer that everyone shoots a doe or two for meat and doesnt go overboard.

When I hunted in Kentucky it was the same. Lots of deer, liberal doe tags, but they would only shoot one or two for yearly meat, there was no big deal shooting a doe. It was all about getting a big buck. They had NO interest in shooting a bunch of does and ruining their herd numbers.

Yes there are going to be deer/car collisions....that's part of the deal when the hunting is good.
personally, I'd rather eat meat from a doe...meat from a buck during rut can be very strong tasting

This is the reason I'm hoping to buy a front-stuffer before next year. Increased season length.

I can't say I see the problem with DST - the actual hours of sun are the same, just shifted on the clock. But then, my difficulty is entirely self-imposed - I just need to be better at making time to go out.
Buy the front stuffer AND a nh non resident hunting license. For me it's worth the $180. Hunt the rut with a muzzle loader..... the season opens late oct.....SUNDAY hunting. Squirrel opens sep 1 state wide. Can hunt private lands that are not posted with no worry about the hassles. Antlerless permits are available for zones m and L which are just over the border. I'm on my second year hunting nh on a non resident license ans it's paid dividends and has been worth every penny.

Buy the front stuffer AND a nh non resident hunting license. For me it's worth the $180. Hunt the rut with a muzzle loader..... the season opens late oct.....SUNDAY hunting. Squirrel opens sep 1 state wide. Can hunt private lands that are not posted with no worry about the hassles. Antlerless permits are available for zones m and L which are just over the border. I'm on my second year hunting nh on a non resident license ans it's paid dividends and has been worth every penny.
Seriously thinking about it. Just had some accelerated expenses come up (computer troubles) but I'm sure I can make the money appear.

Then I'll just have to figure out where to go...

Seriously thinking about it. Just had some accelerated expenses come up (computer troubles) but I'm sure I can make the money appear.

Takes some research.....but there are plenty of wma lands that don't get hit hard prior to opening day of muzzle loader.....that season is before fire arm season in nh which is awesome. Plus private property that is not posted is legal.

The SE part of the state has the most deer...and the least available land. Think just west of Hampton Beach, and east of Nashua and Manchester. But if you find a spot it will be worth it.

Hunting with a muzzleloader during the rut, is a lot better than hunting in MA, when the deer are scattered to hell and gone, and its freezing out.

Well worth the money.

Longer effective seasons won’t happen in mASS. They so pwetty. See: deer problems on MV and ‘tucket.

Back
Top Bottom