• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

10 Round Restriction

Jbarila

NES Member
Is there any way to start a legal challenge to the 10 round limit on high capacity magazines? Or would a better method be to have a politician propose a bill?
Of all the foolish restrictions we put up with this one frosts my cookies. USPSA and other competitions would be a lot easier to compete without worrying about it.
Maybe this thread is just a vent but what do you all think?
[angry]

There are plenty of classes in USPSA that you can compete with 10 rounds or less.

Challenging Mass on capacity laws? Good luck.

no 10 round limit, just have to get high cap pre-ban mags and a gun that will accept them. problem solved.

no 10 round limit, just have to get high cap pre-ban mags and a gun that will accept them. problem solved.
Unless you have a gun that was made after 94 that does not have any pre-ban mags available for it.

Unless you have a gun that was made after 94 that does not have any pre-ban mags available for it.

um yeah, thats what i said, pre-ban mags and a gun that will accept them

ie beretta 92fs, buy it new today, but can get plenty of high-cap pre-ban 15 round mags for it

Honestly, I think the fact that the restriction is so dumb and pointless is the biggest obstacle to having it removed.

I compete with an M&P, I guess I'll switch to single stack and a 1911

If you want to shoot limited.
Buy or switch to a Glock & get some mag extentions 17, 34 for Minor or 22, 35, 21 etc. & shoot Major. Or if you have the $ get a STI & be done with it.
Equipment for USPSA can be expensive but all cool hobbies are.

You'd have a better chance at getting the AG to go after the people selling pre-ban mags at inflated prices. Sorry, but I believe the mag limit is tied into the AWB which as of right now looks like it will never be lifted from the Communist State of Massachusetts.

You could always get charged with possession of a post-ban LCFD, get convicted, and spend $100,000 on a retainer for the appeals process. If you win you'll have spent 100K to get the AWB laws change. If you lose you'll have wasted 100K and spend up to 10 years in jail. Or you could just support GOAL and wait for them to help get it changed through legislature.

That's where the problem begins. Every time a new gun is designed, you guys are stuck with broken mags for it.

Honestly, I think the fact that the restriction is so dumb and pointless is the biggest obstacle to having it removed.

Seriously. You're put in a position where you have to try and explain why a dumb law is dumb.

If you want to shoot limited.
Buy or switch to a Glock & get some mag extentions 17, 34 for Minor or 22, 35, 21 etc. & shoot Major. Or if you have the $ get a STI & be done with it.
Equipment for USPSA can be expensive but all cool hobbies are.

What if he wants to survive a decent gunfight, defend his home during a state of emergency like Katrina or the LA riots, or just have the normal magazines that everyone else in the US has?

You'd have a better chance at getting the AG to go after the people selling pre-ban mags at inflated prices. Sorry, but I believe the mag limit is tied into the AWB which as of right now looks like it will never be lifted from the Communist State of Massachusetts.

The AWB can be killed off at least in part based on the "guns in common use" thing in Heller. It's going to take awhile for that to trickle down, though. The foundation has to be laid first, and this AWB crap is pretty much the smallest fish to fry. Not to mention it is unclear if it would ever extend to the magazines. (although nominally, guns in common use now come with normal capacity mags in like 46? states... )

-Mike

You could always get charged with possession of a post-ban LCFD, get convicted, and spend $100,000 on a retainer for the appeals process. If you win you'll have spent 100K to get the AWB laws change. If you lose you'll have wasted 100K and spend up to 10 years in jail. Or you could just support GOAL and wait for them to help get it changed through legislature.

Or move to a free state.

There are plenty of new representatives in now. Why don't you contact one or all of them, and see if they will sponsor a bill to fix this? Rather than expect them to do their job, if you do the legwork, it would make it much MUCH easier for them if you put something together, and asked them to "proof it" and "clean up the language" to their liking, and then to sponsor it. Make the path as easy as possible for them by doing the heavy lifting so they can take the credit.

What if he wants to survive a decent gunfight, defend his home during a state of emergency like Katrina or the LA riots, or just have the normal magazines that everyone else in the US has?

Not sure what you're trying to say. I wasn't talking about extending 10RD mags. I was refering to pre-ban mags. Since when are they illegal?
Also in a SHTF scenario like you described all bets are off. I would'nt care what the circumstances were. You, Me or anyone else would use any means available to defend their homes and families be it rocks, knifes, flame throwers, radioactive isotobes or 100RD beta mags.

Not sure what you're trying to say. I wasn't talking about extending 10RD mags. I was refering to pre-ban mags. Since when are they illegal?
Also in a SHTF scenario like you described all bets are off. I would'nt care what the circumstances were. You, Me or anyone else would use any means available to defend their homes and families be it rocks, knifes, flame throwers, radioactive isotobes or 100RD beta mags.

But being able to purchase and stockpile these things before such a scenario occurs is the only way to have them handy when the time comes. Or do you think the UPS guy will drop off a couple dozen P-Mags and a Beta C-Mag the moment the rioting starts?

The AWB can be killed off at least in part based on the "guns in common use" thing in Heller. It's going to take awhile for that to trickle down, though. The foundation has to be laid first, and this AWB crap is pretty much the smallest fish to fry. Not to mention it is unclear if it would ever extend to the magazines. (although nominally, guns in common use now come with normal capacity mags in like 46? states... )

Yeah, I started a thread a while back about which MA gun law you'd most want to be rid of. The AWB was on my list, but shall issue LTCs was by far number one. I'm sure an AWB challenge is somewhere on Comm2A's roadmap. Hopefully Hightower will handle LTC issuance once and for all and we can move on to the next issue. As I see it, there are three factors that go in selecting challenges. Priority as far is importance to gun-owners, priority and order based on legal strategy, and availability/status/quality of plaintiffs to challenge the law. Hightower seems to have been a perfect storm of all three.

Just speaking to my first criteria, my order would be:
1. Shall issue LTCs
2. handgun purchase restrictions
3. mag capacity AWB
4. 'evil feature' AWB

After that it gets harder to prioritize. Other things on my list would be suppressors and no permits for ownership/possession. Whether those two will even be possible through the courts is an open question.

We may short circuit the handgun stuff with a win in Dearth v Holder.

Yeah, I started a thread a while back about which MA gun law you'd most want to be rid of. The AWB was on my list, but shall issue LTCs was by far number one. I'm sure an AWB challenge is somewhere on Comm2A's roadmap. Hopefully Hightower will handle LTC issuance once and for all and we can move on to the next issue. As I see it, there are three factors that go in selecting challenges. Priority as far is importance to gun-owners, priority and order based on legal strategy, and availability/status/quality of plaintiffs to challenge the law. Hightower seems to have been a perfect storm of all three.

Just speaking to my first criteria, my order would be:
1. Shall issue LTCs
2. handgun purchase restrictions
3. mag capacity AWB
4. 'evil feature' AWB

After that it gets harder to prioritize. Other things on my list would be suppressors and no permits for ownership/possession. Whether those two will even be possible through the courts is an open question.

We don't have purchase restrictions here and your order is off a tad... ->

We may short circuit the handgun stuff with a win in Dearth v Holder.

Because it will be useless if you can't buy the guns with the mags... [wink]

Dearth v. Holder would also make the handgun sales someone else's problem...

Though I doubt we would leave them swinging in the breeze the way we gun owners were left. [smile]

Last edited:
We don't have purchase restrictions here and your order is off a tad... ->

Good catch, what I meant was handgun sales restrictions. My order was exactly that, the order of importance to me personally. I think I'd probably get broad agreement with having shall issue at the top, but the rest is personal preference. I ordered them based on how often they piss me off.

I meant what lupis42 said, generally.

Yes, Ok but I'm still not sure why you originally quoted me.

But being able to purchase and stockpile these things before such a scenario occurs is the only way to have them handy when the time comes. Or do you think the UPS guy will drop off a couple dozen P-Mags and a Beta C-Mag the moment the rioting starts?

This is a completely sepeate and redundant issue.

USPSA and other competitions would be a lot easier to compete without worrying about it.[angry]

I compete with an M&P, I guess I'll switch to single stack and a 1911

I was merely giving the OP options to address this issue.

Last edited:
I was merely giving the OP options to address this issue.

I got that, I wasn't upset with you or anything. I was listing a few situations where jumping through hoops wouldn't help you legally obtain items that might be needed.

Back
Top Bottom