10 round .50 Beowulf in a (30 round 223) Pmag.....Legal???

Hi guys.....I'm a new user to the Forum, but I've been lurking around (like a pedophile) for a long time.......[laugh]
Now...... is it Legal for me to use 30 round Pmags to put 50 Beowulf and/or 458 Socom in them and call them
a 10 round magazine??[wink] or do I still have to use one of the tinny winny (unconstitutional)[angry] 10 round magazine
to put like 3 rounds on them?[rolleyes]

Thanks in advance........you guys Rock!

Good luck with that. [rofl]

Strictly speaking its a 10 round magazine if you have 10 rounds of .50 beo in it.... but good luck getting a solid answer on terms of the legal toilet paper aspect of this.

-Mike

This exact question was asked a few months ago... I THINK the consensus at the time was (paraphrasing) "Becoming the precedent setting case is a LOT more expensive than pre-ban mags."

This exact question was asked a few months ago... I THINK the consensus at the time was (paraphrasing) "Becoming the precedent setting case is a LOT more expensive than pre-ban mags."

That's entertaining considering there probably will be no precedent setting case. I think it hinges upon whatever the prosecutor can get someone to suck for, problem is in mass, most of these kinds of cases get plead out (particularly because they nearly always involve something other charge aside from a ("post ban, large capacity feeding device" issue) and never go to full trial so the arguments that need to occur in the courtroom never happen.

-Mike

We were taking about this at the LGS a couple days ago..

Do you think it would make a difference if the PMAG was marked for 50 Beowulf. Most (not all) of my mags are marked for a specific caliber.

Does anyone one even make a mag marked for 50 Beowulf?

Do you think it would make a difference if the PMAG was marked for 50 Beowulf. Most (not all) of my mags are marked for a specific caliber.

Yup...
http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Magazines-4-Round_.50_Beowulf_Magazine.html
http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Magazines-7-Round_.50_Beowulf_Magazine.html
http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Magazines-10-Round_.50_Beowulf_Magazine.html

yep I was looking at those before.....they seem to be a nice option. but will the 10 rounder be legal?
they look like a 30 rounder.......[wink]

The description on the pages say that they will only feed 50 Beowulf ammunition. Maybe the modifications to the feedlips cause them to not work with 223? Seems a safer bet than 30 round pmags if that is the case.

Hi guys.....I'm a new user to the Forum, but I've been lurking around (like a pedophile) for a long time.......[laugh]
Now...... is it Legal for me to use 30 round Pmags to put 50 Beowulf and/or 458 Socom in them and call them
a 10 round magazine??[wink] or do I still have to use one of the tinny winny (unconstitutional)[angry] 10 round magazine
to put like 3 rounds on them?[rolleyes]

Thanks in advance........you guys Rock!

It's just easier to buy the 30$ prebans and grind the front notch out of them so the Beowulfs feed reliably. I do have some FTF on standard GI mags.

I am curious as AA ships 10 round beowulf mags, but I am pretty sure that they wont feed 223 into a standard ar(the feed lips are supposedly kagiggered).

Edit.. Many of the Beowulf rounds feed fine on the standard AR mags.. It's some of the more blocky front slugs that get caught on the front of the magazine.

Also.. I've been looking for Flat followers to put in beowulf mags for easier loading.. Anyone have luck finding these? I'm thinking of trying a 3d printer to make a prototype.

Last edited:
If I had the .50 upper and pmags worked fine I wouldnt hesitate to use them.

This isnt legal advice of course.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

If I had the .50 upper and pmags worked fine I wouldnt hesitate to use them.

This isnt legal advice of course.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...
lol thats exactly what I want to do....but for legal reason.....and I dont want to become the escape Goat (the example),
the guy every body in the state hates......lol

The description on the pages say that they will only feed 50 Beowulf ammunition. Maybe the modifications to the feedlips cause them to not work with 223? Seems a safer bet than 30 round pmags if that is the case.

Except for..... if we're going to pay all kinds of attention about imaginary laws and such, modifying a preban magazine "according to federal lore" isn't allowed if, in the process, you make the magazine inoperable for the originally intended firearm, the fed legal lore was that "you have now "produced a new magazine" if you do this.... Whether or not MA would carry out or obey that edict is a whole other story. ( I would guess no, but it's no more or less nebulous than the rest of the discussion is. ) Then again one could argue that "Well we're making it into a low capacity magazine so it shouldn't matter." Well if it was low capacity then why not start by simply buying the same thing without going through the hacking, etc? [laugh]

See how fun this bullshit is? [rofl]

Last edited by a moderator:
Toss the .50 follower in? Don't worry about it. If ur getting nailed on a mag you did much worse .
I bed you'll be the first one outside the court room with a big sign......." He is Innocent"......lol[laugh].
but im just asking because it seems to be a really stupid law.....I understand they want to violate our
constitutional rights and everything..but if I put the 10 round on any magazine I'm not over the "stupid limit" even if its a
cal .80 or .90 bmg.....in a 223/556 mag......pre or post ban

Last edited:

I think it would make a huge difference. If it was marked .50 Beowulf and had markers at 1, 5, and 10, it would be hard to argue its not a 10 round mag.

- - - Updated - - -

I know, But I was looking to build an AMR (All Magpul Rifle).....lol

If you really want to play it safe, you could use a magpul 10 round mag, which would be a 3 round mag in .50. More than enough for hunting if thats what you were planning to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom