• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

10 mm loading

rkwjunior

NES Member
Hello, its my first time venturing into this side of the forum, and i suppose your not surpised when u read the title of this thread. Does anyone here load "hot" rounds for the 10mm? If i did get into loading 10mm brass do i have to buy new brass to load "Hot" rounds???. I will be shooting from a Glock 20c and i heard they don't like reloaded ammo, but then i get other people saying that that is a bunch of B.S. I also heard that most cheap 10mm is really only loaded to .40s&w specs. Can someone give me the scoop on the whole 10mm thing??

I load them. You don't need new brass. Glocks are fine with reloads, they just don't like some lead bullets. Most of the 10mm you see on shelves is weak.

Perhaps you'd want to get the hang of reloading with some .38 spl PPC loads or something, instead of diving right into hot 10mm.

Take EC's class. Many of us here have taken it, and can vouch for the class being worth way more than the cost of admission.
Take the class first, before you buy anything.

You do not need brand new brass to reload 10mm, but many on the interwebs (10mm-firearms forum and glocktalk 10mm reloading forum), recommend using brand new brass for hot loads, and then do medium loads for the remainder of the brass life. If you run really hot loads, you certainly run the risk of belling out the bottom of the brass where the Glock chamber support drops off, but this is different load to load, and gun to gun. Glocktalk has a dedicated 10mm reloading forum.

10mm is no harder to load than any other caliber.

Just get some data for your bullets, pick a powder, stay above the min and below the max and go for it.

For 180's I use 10.5gr of Blue Dot.

Yes, 10mm is not an entry level caliber, at lease not for people who wish to keep their hands/face/town intact.

I've loaded moderate 10mm loads without any problem. I didn't try to explore the boundaries of the envelope, but I don't see why 10mm would be any harder in this respect than any other straight-walled pistol caliber.

I didn't have time to work up loads when we went to Alaska last year, so I got some Buffalo Bore -- 220gr hardcast at 1175 fps. Recoil wasn't bad in my Delta Elite.

Yes, EC and M1911 are 100% correct, follow your load data and be careful and you will be fine with 10mm as long as you don't try to push the envelope before you get the hang of it. I guess I always associate 10mm with earth shattering loads that should be approached with a measure of caution. Btw a 180 grain FMJ over Blue Dot has always been my favorite 10mm load. Pair it with some nice Starline brass and you can't go wrong.

IMO 10mm is easy. I'd much have a new reloader build 10mm vs 38 special. Even 40 is worse, steeper pressure curve.

You can fit alot of bullseye or WW231 in a .38 and not know it. 10 is a walk in the park by comparison.

I load them. You don't need new brass. Glocks are fine with reloads, they just don't like some lead bullets. Most of the 10mm you see on shelves is weak.

I was told never to shoot lead in any of my Glocks. I have a 1st gen G17 and a G36, both of them aren't "beater" Glocks IMO and I could never justify shooting lead. Let's say I had an old G17, I might shoot lead if it was a Gen 2 as I could care less about the condition that it is in. I hear EXCELLENT things about the 10mm but the ammo price would kill me. I'd rather stick to 45ACP. If someone could persuade me with 10mm arguments I have open ears.

. I hear EXCELLENT things about the 10mm but the ammo price would kill me. I'd rather stick to 45ACP. If someone could persuade me with 10mm arguments I have open ears.

10 mm has a wide range of loading from light to a lot hotter than 45 ACP. So last year when Mrs. M1911 and I went to AK, I brought my Delta Elite with Buffalo Bore ammo. No, it isn't a hot 44 Mag but it is a lot hotter than 45 ACP, but the only 44 Mag gun I have is just too big and heavy to conceal.

But the drawback of 10mm has already been discussed here - ammo is hard to find and expensive. If you reload or have a bunch of money it is great.

I was told never to shoot lead in any of my Glocks. I have a 1st gen G17 and a G36, both of them aren't "beater" Glocks IMO and I could never justify shooting lead. Let's say I had an old G17, I might shoot lead if it was a Gen 2 as I could care less about the condition that it is in. I hear EXCELLENT things about the 10mm but the ammo price would kill me. I'd rather stick to 45ACP. If someone could persuade me with 10mm arguments I have open ears.

Beater or not, the right lead bullets will run fine in a Glock, and the wrong ones will be trouble.

Glocks have polygonal rifling. If the lead bullets are the right size and hardness, you won't have any trouble. At all. Gammon will probably be around in a while to tell you that he's put tens of thousands of rounds of lead bullets through his Glock without any trouble (yes, this has been discussed before - a few times).

However, if the bullets are too small or too hard, you'll get severe barrel leading, which can be a big problem if you try to shoot jacketed bullets before you clean it all out.

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I have a couple quick questions:

What are people getting for velocities with 165 and 180 gr bullets,(or other bullet sizes) and what bullets and loadbook are you using? My sierra book's 10mm loads are more like "40SW +P", whereas the Hornady book has much higher velocities. Neither approach what doubletap lists for their factory ammo.

I am debating getting a 10mm as a range hand cannon (at least initially) , because I have been watching too much Miami Vice. So I do not want "FBI loads" for it. Thanks.

Here I am. To clarify EC's post, I have put tens of thousands of "hard cast" lead bullets (92/6/2) through several Glocks, mostly 45 and .40 with no problems as long as the rounds didn't exceed 1100 fps and the pistol was cleaned after every three hundred rounds or so. I have no idea how softer swaged bullets would fare.

I'm not sure polygonal rifling is a problem. H&K introduced polygonal rifling in the early seventies and I am not aware of any problems with these barrels and lead bullets.

Using cast bullets at the "industry standard" diameter of .356 in a 9mm Glock did result in key holing and horrible accuracy at 25 yds. A switch to .357 diameter bullets solved the problem and yielded decent accuracy out to 50 yds. The Glock involved in this test wasn't mine so I never had a chance to see what several hundred rounds would do to the barrel, i.e. leading.

I load 9.6gr of Blue dot under a 180gr LFP. I don't know if that's "hot" but it definitely bites more than factory ammo. I have not been able to find a lot of data for 10mm cast loads either...maybe I am just looking in the wrong place. Reliability has been 100% in my KKM 6" barreled G20.

Hi, I cast my own using a 180gr round noise bullet, RCBS mould. I use straight wheel weight and sized and lub accordingly. I also purchased a Storm Lake 10mm barrel with extended fluting second to Glock's reported issues with their barrels and lead bullets. I've never looked back. The loads are ~ 5% below those top loads shown for Blue Dot and work exceptionally well, (For me). At 100 yard I have no problems with an eight inch steel plate. I did find a feeding, case bulging, issue after the third reloading and purchased a Lee case, de- bulger, die made to address this post assemble of the cartridge.This is an extra step but , are you in a rush while reloading?? Love shooting the 10mm in both the Glock but even more so in the S&W 610. Good luck.

10mm is no harder to load than any other caliber.

Just get some data for your bullets, pick a powder, stay above the min and below the max and go for it.

For 180's I use 10.5gr of Blue Dot.

EC,

Above you state you are using Blue Dot powder, back in 06 in a thread you state you are using Alliant Power Pistol. Do you feel one is better than the other or will both work fine with 180 grain bullet? The only reason I bring up such an old statement (the 06) is because I was going to go on the lookout for that powder.

One last question, which ever you feel is better (if either), will they also be good for a 9mm load?

Thanks.

I learned loading 10mm and have loaded many calibers since. 10mm is no harder to reload than any other straight wall handgun cartridge.

If you are running HOT HOT loads I strongly recommend once fired or new cases, especially if you have a factory barrel. An aftermarket storm lake or KKM barrel will be easier on your brass with hot loads.

I have a few favorite powders for the 10mm, namely IMR 800X and Alliant Power Pistol. I have tried Blue Dot and Long Shot as well both are decent 10mm powders. Both 800X and Blue Dot suck to meter. If you are going to use those powders plan to hand measure each round. I finally bought an RCBS Chargemaster automatic measure to load 10mm with 800X because I like it so much. 800X is my go to powder for nuclear 10mm rounds (I got a deal on 12lbs of it so that may skew my opinin ;)). Power pistol meters well and easily makes a medium to hot round in 10mm. Blue dot throws a huge flame, you could light the way home at night if you needed to.

With 12.0grn of 800x, 135grn Nosler HP, and CCI 350's I can get into the 1700fps range.
9.3gr of 800X under a 180grn with WLP gets me into the 1200-1300 range.

8.5grn of Power Pistol under a 180 will get you into the 1200-1300 range as well.

There is a great 10mm reloading forum over on glock talk I recommend you check it out.

EC,

Above you state you are using Blue Dot powder, back in 06 in a thread you state you are using Alliant Power Pistol. Do you feel one is better than the other or will both work fine with 180 grain bullet? The only reason I bring up such an old statement (the 06) is because I was going to go on the lookout for that powder.

One last question, which ever you feel is better (if either), will they also be good for a 9mm load?

Thanks.

I was using Blue Dot here because I had some to use up.

I much prefer Power Pistol for both 9mm and 10mm. It's pretty scarce right now though. I don't think I've seen any in a year.

I was using Blue Dot here because I had some to use up.

I much prefer Power Pistol for both 9mm and 10mm. It's pretty scarce right now though. I don't think I've seen any in a year.

EC,

Thank you very much for the reply and information. And a big ouch about not seeing any of that powder for that long.

Power Pistol is excellent for .40 S+W and 10mm.... EC is right about it being scarce, though. I managed to accumulate about 6 pounds of it in my stash, but I have not seen any of it in a long time.

-Mike

Power Pistol is excellent for .40 S+W and 10mm.... EC is right about it being scarce, though. I managed to accumulate about 6 pounds of it in my stash, but I have not seen any of it in a long time.

-Mike

6 pounds in your stash huh, sounds like you will not miss a few pounds :)

Back
Top Bottom