10/30 rd Magpul Magazines

As you know...in MA, we're limited to 10 rd magazines. As such, my AR-15 doesn't look right with a 10 round. So, I ventured to find new, modified 30 round magazine that would only hold 10 rds. My club limits rifle capacity to 10 rds anyway. Also, no pre-ban magazines that I could find were in good enough condition to warrant spending $40 each. I found calegalmags.com. They buy, modify and sell 30 round Magpul magazines for $20. I ordered a couple and they are great. Cannot tell they have been modified and the function is perfect. FIgured I'd make a post in case someone else is looking for an alternative for new, quality mags in the people's republic of MA.

Eh, I just couldn't bring myself to pay almost twice as much for a magazine that is intentionally broken so it holds 1/3 the designed capacity. What kind of club do you belong to that limits you to 10 round magazines?

Mike

I have 20 something pre bans that work fine, and do more then just look the part. Sound's like a Fudd club.

Mass Rifle? Regardless, I suggest joining a different club.

If you look around, you can find unused, preban mags for $20 or less.

Eh, I just couldn't bring myself to pay almost twice as much for a magazine that is intentionally broken so it holds 1/3 the designed capacity. What kind of club do you belong to that limits you to 10 round magazines?

Mike

Well, considering the magazine that comes with the M&P15 was crap and I needed something better, I really didn't mind spending the little extra for a quality magazine that at least looks like it made for the rifle. I wouldn't say it was broken, just modified...much like how Sig modifies their 12rd magazines to only hold 10. Andover has the round limits

You can get quality USGI prebans in MA (and on the internet) for $20 or less with a little bit of searching. You obviously haven't looked very hard yet.

-Mike

You can get quality USGI prebans in MA (and on the internet) for $20 or less with a little bit of searching. You obviously haven't looked very hard yet.

-Mike

Actually, I have looked. 4 different shops with nothing, except for one that had 20 round mags at $40 each. Internet searches have come up with many available pre-bans...some never used, but none of the websites will ship to MA. The ones that will ship, have none in stock.

I've used the calegalmags.com modified PMags - have three of them.

Before anyone jumps all over me for it - they're the 7.62mm ones for my Fidelis NES LR-308. Two ten rounders and a five rounder (hunting mag). Seem to function great, while the C-Products mags I have are absolutely shit.

You know what works good a Beta mag. 100 rounds through my m16 is a truly great thing.

That aside I have modded a few mags myself for yote hunting as I am used to having the 30 rounder and like being able to rest the rifle on the mag when that is a available option. In Maine while there is no limit on mag capacity these is a limit during hunting season of five rounds in the mag. I took a couple colt ar mags and mig welded a plate into the mag so whiel the mag will only hold 5 rounds it retains it's standard length and support when needed. I am not sure where but there was a web page with quite a few of these mods from a guy in CA some where quite neat.

I might be a minority but I'm a fan of the Israeli Orlite mags that can be had dirt cheap. A lot of US infantry in the Gulf War had these shipped over from the states privately. GI mags can be noisy and cling in the pockets, these don't. Some people have problems with fitting -- no problems here.. I don't have any odd or cheap lowers though.

In Maine while there is no limit on mag capacity these is a limit during hunting season of five rounds in the mag.

Not quite - the mag capacity while hunting may be no more than five rounds. The Maine hunting regulation book is quite specifically that the alteration must be permanent.

Mass Rifle? Regardless, I suggest joining a different club.

If you look around, you can find unused, preban mags for $20 or less.

Man I shoot 30 rd preban's in the Loeb Range @ MRA all the time and even my preban Beta mag one night.

When I get or make a bench pod I'll bring my belt-fed. Mass Rifle isn't a FUDD range, it's the balls [smile]

Attachments

• Loeb Range Rules.jpg
    Loeb Range Rules.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Yes but at the outdoor ranges, you're limited to 5 rounds or so, IIRC.

Or 1 on the longer ranges. That place is a huge FUDD place. Not to mention how they pretty much blamed all AR/AK shooters for all the damage to the range in a mailing to all members.

Not quite - the mag capacity while hunting may be no more than five rounds. The Maine hunting regulation book is quite specifically that the alteration must be permanent.

That is what I said. Well that is what I meant to say anyway. While hunting you restricted to a mag holding no more then 5 rounds. Plus one in the chamber of course. Exceptions for hunting are handguns 8 inch or under barrel no limit mag capacity and there is also no limit on mag capacity in rimfire firearms.

I did say welded that is pretty permanent.

Back
Top Bottom