• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

10/22 scope

Neptune Cat

NES Member
Anyone have any luck with an inexpensive scope on a 10/22 capable of 10x - 12x? What are you using?

I'm just starting to learn about scopes. I've never owned one or even used one but once or twice on a friends rifle. I'll be shooting 100yd. most of the time, but would like to be able to shoot at closer ranges as well so my wife can enjoy it.

I will be using it for 100yd competition (but I use the word competition loosly, I'm not trying to win money or anything).

what are your thoughts?

Thank you!!

Scopes are the trickiest part of all when it comes to outfitting a rifle, even if just a 10/22. At 100 yards I wouldn't skimp on quality. If you were shooting 50 yards, just about any scope would do. I have 2 10/22s that are scoped. One has a Simmons rimfire and one has a BSA Catseye. Both are inexpensive and work very well at 50 yards but at 100 suffer greatly. Your best bet is something with at least 10x magnification and thats at a bare minimum. I'd go with a good Weaver scope.

How inexpensive is "inexpensive"?

I have (had), a Simmons 3-9x32 22 AO Mag scope.

Midway USA has them for $55.99...

http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.ex...1156&umt_source=simmons&utm_medium=homepage72

It wasn't a bad scope for the money.

I had it mounted on my 10/22, but finally relented and wisely bought a Leupold VX-II 6-18x40 AO from another NES'er.

Inexpensive glass is alright, but try shooting another persons rig with quality optics and you'll see a world of difference that justifies the extra expense.

With the exception of the little 4x on my kids' BL-22, all my scopes cost as much or more than the rifles they sit on. Any less quality tends to do a disservice to a good rifle.

Ken

As said, scopes can and are a major part of the rifle and can cost as much if not more than the initial rifle. Don't skimp. If you want a quality scope you won't find it for a low-ball price. For a competitive use, I use all Burris. For plinkers I'll typically use Redfield or Simmons. I have tried BSA's and absolutely will not buy another. Worst optics I'd ever seen, or tried to see though. I've got $20 Simmons that are FAR beter than that $200 BSA.

Back
Top Bottom