• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

10/22 mags????

So after years of shooting and collecting I finally bought myself a .22! I wish I bought one sooner because it was surprisingly fun to shoot and now I need to stock up some mags. Question is who makes a quality 25+ mag and a link to a good price would be sweet.

Greg

I'm a NH guy![grin] I checked them out but thought I'd ask about quality and reliability of the different aftermarket brands.

There's only 2 good 10/22 mags.

Ruger factory, and they're 10 round (what I use, too).

Butler Creek Steel Lip mags (not Hot Lips), and they're 10 or 25 round.

Everything else pretty much sucks.

My recommendation is to get 4-5 Ruger mags per rifle. They are almost 100% reliable, and some of my 10/22's get 5000+ rounds per year.

i use Butler Creek hot lips on my 10/22 because the steel lips are so-called illegal in MA.

i have to use them because i have an after market stock... otherwise, i'd just stick to the factory one.

I would second the 10 rounders vote. Like everyone else (should) I have at least 6 preban high caps for every single firearm I own but for my 10/22. Like the others, I have found that everything else sucks. Ruger's 10 rounds mags are well made, cost less than $12 each from mid/brow and once you install the extended mag release they can be changed out remarkably fast.

I have a couple of Eagle 30 rounders (they're at least 22+ years old!) that are pretty reliable. However, I haven't used them for a while since I find the factory 10 rounders more reliable.

I'll vouch for the 10 rounders too. I have some 30 round eagle mags and they do not feed reliably at all but they sure do make the 10/22 look cool. I haven't had any problems with the 10 round factory mags.

I'll vouch for the 10 rounders too. I have some 30 round eagle mags and they do not feed reliably at all but they sure do make the 10/22 look cool. I haven't had any problems with the 10 round factory mags.

yeah, I had those eagle ones too. One new one used and I got rid of them both within a week.

Here's a link to E&L Mfg. They make a couple of great products for the Ruger 10/22 standard 10 round magazines...

Dual connector photo

E&L Mfg

They allow you to connect two or four 10 round mags together for faster shooting, without busting the MA limit on 10 round mags.

Last edited:
I bought one 50 rnd mag from a store the other day and what a POS it is... will not load so much as ONE ROUND into the firearm. I plan on returning it when i head north again. I dont even care if i get my money back this thing sucks so bad. ...

There's Butler creek (both plastic and steel lipped) and then that guy making
the heinously expensive steel mags for 10/22s.

Those are the only ones that work OK, as well as the ruger 10 round cube mags.

The rest of them are generally crap.

-Mike

If you must have more than a 10 round mag or a 10/22, skip the other fodder and go with a Tactical Innovations one. They cost more but , hey, you get what you pay for. Fully serviceable so you can replace the stainless lips if they do ever need it (doubt that). Wouldn't take the gift of Butler Creek trash. The steel lipped ones might be fine for some but I'll still pass on them too. Eagle...same feeling towards them.

Back
Top Bottom