• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

10/22 magazines not fitting well

Has anyone had to deal with magazine troubles of this kind with their 10/22?

I bought a LTR from Vinktova on Saturday (Nice to meet you, Chris). It's a nicely put together rifle, and it shoots nicely. I have 5 magazines for it, 2 that I got with the LTR and 3 that I bought on Saturday.

Of the two that I got with the rifle, one was not ejecting (falling out) when I hit the mag release. It took a little bit of work to get it out. I am sure this has a little to do with the friction that the Hogue rubber stock is putting on the sides of the mag.

So I did a little surgery on it, sanded the sides a little and hit the corners with an exacto knife, and presto, it comes out easily now.

The three magazines I bought new are being more difficult.

I bought the clear plastic mags because that was what was recommended to me by the gentleman from Appleseed that I spoke with. He recommended 5 mags for the shoot, because 4 would be needed for rapid fire exercises and one would be a spare. He also recommended the clear plastic because you can see how many rounds are in the mag. Fine.

The problem is that to get these mags out I literally have had to take the stock off. They are way too tight. I spent a couple of hours working the size down on two of them last night, and they are better now, but it's quite a bit of work whittling down a plastic magazine with a couple of emory boards!

So....just curious, anyone else have this problem, and what have you done about it?

I have had some mags that had 4 dimples on the forward end, left over from the injection molding process, I assume. I had to smooth down the raised lip around each of these dimples to get the mag to drop free. Haven't had the kind of tsuris you're describing, though... but then, I don't buy the clear mags.

I had the same problem with a few of the after market mags. I simple take the dremel to the stock and wa'la problem solved with little effort. An extended release helps too.

I have the same issue with hogue stock. My mags all fall out of my non- hogue stocks but i have to really work at getting the mags out of my hogues. I tried to sand the corners and dimples on the mags - that helped a little. I've also sanded the stock where the mags seem to hang up - that also helped a little.
Anyone have any thoughts on this? If i sand too much will it cause the stock to become too weak in that area?

I simple take the dremel to the stock and wa'la problem solved with little effort.

Sorry to be pedant, but the word that you want is voilà:

Definition:

there you are: used to bring somebody's attention to something, especially in order to elicit appreciation or approval

[Mid-18th century. < French< voi "see!" + là "there"]

i have issues with factory box magazines in my hogue stock.

same as above. extremely difficult to get out! i had to use a screwdriver to pry them out! it was no fun!

i use the butler creek (clear) hotlips bags because of this and they go in and out fine.

Just fixed one of my wood stocks that wsa doing this last night.

About 10 minutes with the Dremel, and opened up the mag well area of the stock.

No Cindy, it won't hurt, unless you go too far, which would take quite a bit.

My wifes pink Houge stocked 10/22 was doing this at the Harvard AS last month. When I got it home I took a file to the stock area around the magwell. I just kept working it until the mags dropped.
It was suggested that I use a razor blade to remove the material but I opted for the file so that it would come off slow and I wouldn't muck it up.

Back
Top Bottom