10/22 jam

LuvToGoFast

NES Member
I was shooting my stock 10/22 today, Was flawless for 100+ rounds and then I had an issue...I had the back of the cartridge blow back at me, it did fire, but the hollow cartridge, (what was left of it, jammed I couldn’t get it out until I got home.
Never had that issue before. Any ideas?

I was shooting my stock 10/22 today, Was flawless for 100+ rounds and then I had an issue...I had the back of the cartridge blow back at me, it did fire, but the hollow cartridge, (what was left of it, jammed I couldn’t get it out until I got home.
Gun's no good. I'll dispose of it for you.

My 10/22 is really picky about ammo. Federal tends to run poorly, while Remington Goldies are perfect (but filthy).

Probably poorly made/formed brass that was manufactured during the "Great Ammunition Shortage of 2012", AKA Sandy Hook.

Clean the Rifle well, be on the lookout for any abnormalities on the bolt or firing chamber that may have caused an issue.
If none, take a piece of masking tape and wrap the suspect box. Write a large, dark "?" on the tape and use it as barter fodder during the next big Ammunition Scare...

Probably poorly made/formed brass that was manufactured during the "Great Ammunition Shortage of 2012", AKA Sandy Hook.

Clean the Rifle well, be on the lookout for any abnormalities on the bolt or firing chamber that may have caused an issue.
If none, take a piece of masking tape and wrap the suspect box. Write a large, dark "?" on the tape and use it as barter fodder during the next big Ammunition Scare...
Probably this, it’s THAT ammo.

Saw the thread title and thought it might be an open invite to a musical get-together on October 22nd...

Sorry for the off-topic response!

So what the OP is saying is that the case head blew off, leaving the cylindrical body of the brass case in the chamber?

What brand of ammo is the key question. The case head blowing off could be merely weak brass, or it could be that the round fired slightly out of battery and the head was not supported by the chamber. That second hypothesis is unlikely as the 10/22 is designed to fail to fire if the bolt is not in battery.

So what the OP is saying is that the case head blew off, leaving the cylindrical body of the brass case in the chamber?

What brand of ammo is the key question. The case head blowing off could be merely weak brass, or it could be that the round fired slightly out of battery and the head was not supported by the chamber. That second hypothesis is unlikely as the 10/22 is designed to fail to fire if the bolt is not in battery.

that is correct, it was golden bullets...

Any pics? I had one that probably fired out of battery on a CMMG bolt. It was Fed Automatch. Ended up replacing the barrel collar.
Vk5CWBF.jpg

No pic but it fed correctly, and fired. Just the back of the casing blew back and hit me, and of course the rest of the casing(hollow tube now) didn’t eject, and jammed

Mine didn’t either till I put in a KIDD extractor....
well sheeet, seems i'm running a kidd extractor in both! just came back from the kidd site, looked at my last 2 orders dated june 2015 and both have an extracter on the list. had to go look and yep, they're installed. so back to my original post..
mine doesn't like that federal bulk packed stuff...champion i think? don't remember.
i run cci green tag mostly, have tons left from my pistol league days, but yeah, anything but the federal bulk packs. i think the ones with 320 in the carton. it seems to be the stuff fs stocked the most of when the .22 ammo came back a few years ago iirc. it won't work the bolt in my tom roache built kart target pistol either oddly.

remember semi auto 22lr need extra special semi auto 22lr ammo especially those AR type 22lr:rolleyes:

some ammo just sucks

That's what it was, case head blew off. Happens with .22 from time to time. Nothing to worry about.

This is the second thread I've seen this year where someone was shooting Remington .22 LR and the case head separated. My only advice is don't use Remington, not in a semi auto at least.
I think it happens much more than you think. Its mostly goes un noticed as the parts tend to fly out. Only when the failed case jams the gun you will notice. next time at the range look closely at the 22lr on the ground. It would not shock me if you find torn/split cases.
just think what QC steps might get "looked over" for the cheapest of cheap ammo

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rCZHG_eEak

Back
Top Bottom