• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

10-1-11 EOPSS List is out

Hey EOPSS, bring it on.
Um, 94? Is that next to an AWB item?

As much as I'd like to dump, take a dump, etc... on EOPS, unless they have arbitrarily moved back the 98 date to 94 (which is entirely possible [sad2]), I would assume that's in reference to an AWB item in which case while offensive and an infringement on our right to keep and bear arms, is not a new affront or infringement beyond what we already face.

This should in no way dampen the cries for angry crowds to gather in Transylvania to force the monster out of town, but clarity seems important with angry mobs. [laugh]

Um, 94? Is that next to an AWB item?

As much as I'd like to dump, take a dump, etc... on EOPS, unless they have arbitrarily moved back the 98 date to 94 (which is entirely possible [sad2]), I would assume that's in reference to an AWB item in which case while offensive and an infringement on our right to keep and bear arms, is not a new affront or infringement beyond what we already face.

This should in no way dampen the cries for angry crowds to gather in Transylvania to force the monster out of town, but clarity seems important with angry mobs. [laugh]

No, they are combining the AWB with "The List" to their benefit. Intentional, likely. Intentional out of competence, debatable.

No, they are combining the AWB with "The List" to their benefit. Intentional, likely. Intentional out of competence, debatable.

It is stating that any post 94 non-MA compliant gun is illegal to own, which means anyone that moved here with post 94 guns is now a criminal.

It is stating that any post 94 non-MA compliant gun is illegal to own, which means anyone that moved here with post 94 guns is now a criminal.

Post 94 guns not on the list. And yes, this is the implication. It is the same implication that is in the now discredited AWB memo to COPs. They are doubling down.

Last edited:
The quote above and below is NOT on the EOPSS List but on the Large Capacity List and refers ONLY to Rifles/Shotguns.

If you note:

- It does NOT say "possessed in MA" (like the infamous unsigned, undated memo did).
- In no way will I defend EOPSS, but I interpret this (IANAL) to mean that any of those guns made after the 1994 date MUST be AWB compliant or possession in MA (of non-AWB compliant versions) is a crime.

Thus I interpret no difference with this statement or without it (assuming folks reading it actually knew about the AWB and what was legal, which most folks don't).

Rifles & Shotguns​
Class A or B LTC Required​
NOTE: Only MA compliant versions of the models listed below may be lawfully possessed in Massachusetts if the weapon was manufactured​
after 9/13/94.

I interpret this (IANAL) to mean that any of those guns made after the 1994 date MUST be AWB compliant or possession in MA (of non-AWB compliant versions) is a crime.

Must be AWB compliant? Or must be the version from the manufacturer which is deemed MA compliant.

The M&P-22 for example...there is a specific MA model with a specific serial number prefix which designates it as such.

But then again, the same goes for the 5.56 M&P-15 which is absent from the list.

glide,

I know they did <less than> a half-assed job with that list.

"Official Position" of EOPS is "once a AW, always a AW" and you can't modify it to be compliant!

I'll spare all of us my thoughts on this position, but I don't make the rules or enforce them and whoever decides to fight this in court will pay a bundle to avoid prison and/or PP status.

I've been in the seminar (twice) where Glidden stated that you can NOT grind off bayo lugs, replace flash-hiders, pin stocks to make ARs (and other guns) MA compliant. He also said that he and other chiefs have called mfrs to request info on how S/N xxxxx left the factory and used that info for prosecution/no pro decisions. No, I have no idea if anyone has been convicted as of yet, but my faith in MA courts/judges doing the right thing is lower than snail snot.

glide,

I know they did <less than> a half-assed job with that list.

"Official Position" of EOPS is "once a AW, always a AW" and you can't modify it to be compliant!

I'll spare all of us my thoughts on this position, but I don't make the rules or enforce them and whoever decides to fight this in court will pay a bundle to avoid prison and/or PP status.

I've been in the seminar (twice) where Glidden stated that you can NOT grind off bayo lugs, replace flash-hiders, pin stocks to make ARs (and other guns) MA compliant. He also said that he and other chiefs have called mfrs to request info on how S/N xxxxx left the factory and used that info for prosecution/no pro decisions. No, I have no idea if anyone has been convicted as of yet, but my faith in MA courts/judges doing the right thing is lower than snail snot.

I just searched lexis for 131M. It comes up goose eggs. If people are getting charged, they are pleading out, CWOFing or not challenging any aspect of the search or circumstances surrounding their charges because it's a felony and a lot of MA superior court decisions (only decisions to MTDs, etc, not verdicts) are in lexis.

No, I have no idea if anyone has been convicted as of yet, but my faith in MA courts/judges doing the right thing is lower than snail snot.
I have complete faith in MA courts/judges -- I'm absolutely convinced they would agree with Glidden, et. al., not because it makes any legal sense whatsoever (it doesn't), but because they decide cases how they want them to be and then torture logic to try to justify their decision.

I just searched lexis for 131M. It comes up goose eggs. If people are getting charged, they are pleading out, CWOFing or not challenging any aspect of the search or circumstances surrounding their charges because it's a felony and a lot of MA superior court decisions (only decisions to MTDs, etc, not verdicts) are in lexis.

Look at GSG's AWB thread. It would appear there are some individuals charged but that charges are getting dropped, etc... and there is a lot of unknowns buried in there. Like I still have not been able to find what magic wand got waved where Manso's charges got dismissed. It would be curious to find out what happened in the "back room".

-Mike

I know how the powers-that-be opine on scenario #1, but what about scenario #2?

1.) Buy a rifle in AWB configuration from a dealer, then have it made 'compliant' by a gunsmith. Apparently this is evil and bad. Even though your actions fall within both the spirit and letter of the law.
2.) Buy an upper receiver with a bayo-lug, grind it off yourself, then mate it with a lower receiver. It was never an 'Assault Weapon' by definition since the parts weren't assembled.

The net result is obviously the same.

Between plea bargains and District Court only cases, Lexis won't tell the entire story.

Back
Top Bottom