• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1 in the chamber?

I might be different than anyone else, but this is how I was trained in the Marine Corps.

SA autos = full mag, empty chamber, safety off. I simply rake the slide to get the gun into action. I've done this so many times, it's second nature to me. This applies to pump, lever-action or auto-loading carbines/shotguns as well.

DA autos (or Glocks) = full mag + one in the pipe, safety off.

Revolvers = always a full cyclinder.

Forgot to mention, I don't carry SA autos for personal protection any more, but did when it was a my duty sidearm (until it was replaced by the M9). My normal carry these days is a J-frame .38.

SA autos = full mag, empty chamber, safety off. I simply rake the slide to get the gun into action. I've done this so many times, it's second nature to me.

That works fine. Provided, of course, that you have two hands free to do so. Unfortunately, in a defensive situation your other hand may be busy -- pushing your spouse to cover, holding your child, fending off the perp, etc.

There are techniques to cycle the slide with one hand. They take a fair bit of practice. They work best when wearing a very stout belt and when the rear sight has a pronounced ledge -- a low-profile or Novak style rear sight makes it significantly more difficult.

The reality is that it is faster for the average person to draw, lower the safety and fire, than to draw, cycle the slide, and fire. That is true with two hands and even more so with one.

I see absolutely no reason to add 1/4 to 1/2 second of time to my first shot. Why someone would be comfortable carrying a Glock chamber full but not a 1911 completely escapes me.

That works fine. Provided, of course, that you have two hands free to do so. Unfortunately, in a defensive situation your other hand may be busy -- pushing your spouse to cover, holding your child, fending off the perp, etc.

There are techniques to cycle the slide with one hand. They take a fair bit of practice. They work best when wearing a very stout belt and when the rear sight has a pronounced ledge -- a low-profile or Novak style rear sight makes it significantly more difficult.

The reality is that it is faster for the average person to draw, lower the safety and fire, than to draw, cycle the slide, and fire. That is true with two hands and even more so with one.

I see absolutely no reason to add 1/4 to 1/2 second of time to my first shot. Why someone would be comfortable carrying a Glock chamber full but not a 1911 completely escapes me.

Amen to that. Not to mention a 1911 SA needs three actions to fire, 1 safety off, grip safety engaged, trigger pulled. in my eyes, I'd feel way more comfortable with a chambered 1911 than a chambered Glock. Even though I carry both types with a chambered round.

Not to mention a 1911 SA needs three actions to fire, 1 safety off, grip safety engaged, trigger pulled.
Three? If you need a seperate step to make sure that your grip safety is engaged, you're drawing it wrong. Suggest you go shooting with Jim Conway to correct that problem.

Draw, flip off safety as you present, fire. Two steps.

No, actually I don't. If you really think it's an extra motion to disengage the grip safety, you're either doing it wrong, you've never fired an 1911, or you're exaggerating for some reason. I have no idea which it is.

No, actually I don't. If you really think it's an extra motion to disengage the grip safety, you're either doing it wrong, you've never fired an 1911, or you're exaggerating for some reason. I have no idea which it is.

Not an extra motion on your end, but on the guns end itself. You see in order to fire all you need to do is disengage the the safety and pull the trigger. As natural as a nudist. For the gun to fire, the safety must be disengaged, the grip safety must be engaged and the trigger must be pulled. Generally done in one motion, and I'm sure some firearms instructor could make it seem as seamless as silk, but in the end the gun needs those 3 conditions met in order to fire. [rolleyes]

I might be different than anyone else, but this is how I was trained in the Marine Corps.

SA autos = full mag, empty chamber, safety off. I simply rake the slide to get the gun into action. I've done this so many times, it's second nature to me. This applies to pump, lever-action or auto-loading carbines/shotguns as well.

DA autos (or Glocks) = full mag + one in the pipe, safety off.

Revolvers = always a full cyclinder.

That would suck if you had a broken hand (or otherwise incapacitated hand) and couldn't rack the slide.

That would suck if you had a broken hand (or otherwise incapacitated hand) and couldn't rack the slide.

That is true, but if I had only one hand, I would not be using a SA auto. For defensive and carry purposes, I use a DA auto or Revolver these days.

When I did carry a 1911, that was the mandatory carry mode for me and I trained quite a bit with it to the point that it's (for me) the best way to get this type of gun into action. As I mentioned, it's second nature to me now. This doctrine of carry did not change until I was issued the DA/SA capable M9 Beretta.

Last edited:
By the way, for those wondering, the method I was taught is the following:

1. Draw from the holster (I'm right handed)
2. Aim gun at target (gun should be orientated horizontally, not vertically)
3. Hold the slide in place (left hand) and push the frame forward in direction of the target (so I'm not actually pulling the slide back)
4. Shoot.

It's remarkable fast to get into action, but admittedly this is not ideal for concealed carry.

Of course, none of this applied once I started carrying the M9.

Icarry a s&w 442 38 cal. +p , It hits about the same as a 16# sledg hammer droped from 12 feet,and i have four more hammers in the chamber.

Back
Top Bottom