• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1 gauge shotgun

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
I guess at one point you need to ask yourself if 12 ga shotgun is still making you happy or you need something bigger to achieve the same level of excitement at range of shooting.

That's when you take a 4" round stock of 4140 and ream a large hole in it, then drill a small touch hole and attach a shock absorber from Mazda Miata. Then you get something like this

img10.png

and soon enough you are at range shooting it some more

img20.png
(photo courtesy of Matt80)

well it's a 1ga shotgun, a lead ball of this diameter (1.669") would weight exactly one pound, unless you add a core from depleted Uranium and that would be a heavier ball. Most of time I shoot "chalk" rounds which are made from plaster of paris. The nice thing about them, you can't make them go too fast or they disintegrate, so recoil will never exceed not-shoulder-destructive level and this is nice.

The powder load is about the same volume as 50BMG case capacity, but with black powder. It produces very nice, round fireball

img21.png
(photo courtesy of chinalfr)

and torus (donut) of glowing gas, similar to smoke rings and what air cannons do

img22.png
(photo courtesy of chinalfr)

speaking of case volumes and projectiles, lead slugs make good projectiles

img2.png

img3.png

img4.png

I tried most everything from wood plugs to lead slugs and lead definitely wins, even if it is smashes through 2.5" of plywood (center)

img6.png

To propell lead slugs I've used bigger charge, a little more powerful than rifle powder, smokeless, good stuff. Barrel walls are more than sufficient to handle it, especially at 3" barrel length. Liquid behind represents liquid volumetric capacity of charge, just so you can say, holy f***ing shit I can't believe that you'd shoot it!

img7.png

of course shooting it off shoulder would be madness because the amount of vodka necessary to convince me to do it does not exist in this quantity. I've made a sled of wood to support the shotgun to fire lead slugs. The problem is not the momentum generated but the shock wave of detonation that bent the half inch (or whatever in metric Mazda units) hardened steel rod mostly purely by inertia.

img5.png

When I see this, I think that shoulder may not have fared better, indeed.

I have tried to time teh lead slugs with a chronograph, but the blast was so great that yards away it blew the piss out of the chrony's light bars.

img1.png

img9.png

img8.png

well, that's about it, I need to make a bigger shotgun now.

Another epic build by the mad scientist! Keep up the good work, love seeing your ingenuity. Was great to see that thing in action at the pumpkin shoot! Happy new year Boris, may you bring us even crazier inventions in 2018!

The fact that the the shock absorber is from a Mazda Miata saves that car from going down in history as the gayest car ever.
Good job! Very entertaining.

Outstanding !!

I spent six years in the artillery, not as a gun bunny but in the FDC. I used to take every opportunity I could get to go down to the gun batteries and watch them shoot.....big guns are amazing!
I had a ton of high speed black and white photos of 105mm, 155mm and 8 inch guns firing and capturing the projo 10 to 20 feet out the barrel with the big smoke ring. I lost all of them in my hold baggage that never got shipped to me when I had to come home on emergency leave for a death in the family. That pissed me off for years.....still mad about it. I had months of time involved taking the pictures amd developing the photos myself.

Anyway, be safe working with that shit.....

never saw this originally, or at least don't remember it. don't know why but mr. happy came immediately to mind.

From my cannon experience you can actually increase your fireball exponentially with some practice. Experiment with a layer of flour between the BP and the round...if you get the mix just right, the flour turns into a nice cloud then gets lit on fire like a grain silo explosion by the fireball behind it.

You might lose some hair with a barrel that short, though!

Back
Top Bottom