1.5mm Receiver, Chrome-lined and cold hammer-forged Barrel Zastava M70 ZPAP

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date
I love my Yugos. Those are some impressive specs. Funny thing about ban states they're not really AK clones...
In what sense? The law states clone or copy. Copy meaning 2 or more interchangeable parts as i understand it. That is why saiga's and vepr's can still technically be legal because outside of the trigger group nothing is interchangeable with an AK.

In what sense? The law states clone or copy.
The law states "Copy or Duplicate".

The feds, under the same law, considered an AR15 minus a few features and the rollmark "not a duplicate".

The M70 is almost entirely incompatible with any AKM variant, it just looks similar an operates similarly.

Copy meaning 2 or more interchangeable parts as i understand it.
That's a fiction invented by Maura Healy in 2016, from whole cloth, which exists nowhere in the law.

From 1994 to 2004 the feds didn't follow that standard, nor did the state of MA up til 2016.

Hasn't been tested in court but I'd think that "two interchangeable parts" standard would not a "duplicate" make.

That is why saiga's and vepr's can still technically be legal because outside of the trigger group nothing is interchangeable with an AK.
This is more true of a Yugo (M64 or M70 variant) than a of a VEPR or Saiga... Yugos operate similarly but share FAR fewer compatible parts with an AKM.

Yugos have a different length gas piston, and a bolt-hold-open and thus an incompatible bolt group. They have an incompatible barrel (M64s are threaded and M70s are pressed/pinned) and a gas tube which is a different length and incompatible, which makes the handguard a different size and incompatible. The stock affixes differently than any AK or AKM, with a threaded/recessed rear trunnion, which means stocks are incompatible. The barrel trunnion is a different size and shape, which coupled with the unique rear trunion and overall length make the receiver completely incompatible. The dust cover is affixed with TWO buttons and is a different length, making it incompatible. The gas/sight block has a different ID and shape making it incompatible.

The trigger group (minus the safety lever), pistol grip, muzzle device, and magazine are about the only parts that swap between a Yugo and an AKM.

They look alike and operate similarly, but are not duplicates or copies... except under Mad Maura's madeup non-law.

nice to see a newer chinese 1.5mm receiver being made

Zastava is Serbian and Zastava USA is in IL. No new Chinese guns have came directly into the US from the PRC since the Clinton Admin. "Yugo" refers to guns developed during the Yugoslav era and produced by Zastava.

This is more true of a Yugo (M64 or M70 variant) than a of a VEPR or Saiga... Yugos operate similarly but share FAR fewer compatible parts with an AKM. [/QUOTE said:
Why do you say that? Literally every part of saigas/vepr are not interchangeable with an akm. Other than the trigger. Thicker barrel and reciever. Different bolt, gas tube,stock etc. Should fall in the same catagory as what you describe right? Not trying to argue, just trying to understand.

Sometimes I think Zastava doesn't quite get marketing.

So, the new Zastava M70 does sound like a damn fine AK

z-p-a-p-m-7-0-view5.jpg

but this is also a current production Zastava M70...

m70-stand-sl.jpg

I really like my M70, because left hand 375 H&H that don't require a home equity line are kind of uncommon - but it's sure no AK.

Sometimes I think Zastava doesn't quite get marketing.

So, the new Zastava M70 does sound like a damn fine AK

but this is also a current production Zastava M70...

I really like my M70, because left hand 375 H&H that don't require a home equity line are kind of uncommon - but it's sure no AK.

You forgot the Zastava M70 pistol, too:

Zastava Arms M70AA Pistol on SALE - AtlanticFirearms.com

Most of Zastava's model designations stem from the communist period when guns like the M70 "AK" or M70 pistol weren't being sold to consumers. The M70 bolt gun has always been a consumer product. So, back in the days of Marshal Tito, there probably wasn't much mixup. Plus, back then, the M70 bolt action was being imported as the Interarms Mark X. Most people know the M70 bolt action as being the same gun as the Interarms.

Fast forward to 1990s-2000s and the collecting community here in the US started getting Yugoslav surplus M70 pistols and rifle kits. Again, no confusion because the line between AK collecting and hunting rifle bolt guns is usually rather distinct. No confusion, and if someone was confused between the M70 pistol and the AK, you can just call the pistol a pistol or a Tokarev and the M70 semi-auto rifle an AK. Most people when speaking generally about the M70 AK refer to it as a "Yugo."

Now, Zastava has three products, all three being sold in the US, as the M70. Luckily, most people refer to the AK-clone M70s as "ZPAPs", which is the specific model of M70 that Zastava sells here in the US to us. The M70 pistols are really their own thing and fall within the Tokarev category.

I'd like to get a M70 bolt gun in 7x57 or .308 and I also emailed Zastava USA saying they should bring in 7x64, which they appreciated because they're considering expanding their product lineup. So, if anyone wants something that Zastava makes but doesn't import via Zastava USA, hit up Zastava USA. They're pretty responsive via email or social media.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot about that communist tendency to call all their guns the same thing - CZ52, VZ52 and the like.

And had no idea they had an M70 pistol, too. If they come out with an M70 shotgun, I'm buying the whole set.

:D

I forgot about that communist tendency to call all their guns the same thing - CZ52, VZ52 and the like.

And had no idea they had an M70 pistol, too. If they come out with an M70 shotgun, I'm buying the whole set.

:D

Oooohh, "CZ" and "VZ" and "wz." are fun too because of how Slavic languages work.

"CZ" refers to "Česká zbrojovka Uherský Brod", which the Czech name for what most people in the US think of when we think of "CZ." Like, CZ75, CZ82, CZ vz. 52, etc. CZ also refers to "Crvena Zastava", which is the Serbo-Croat for "Zastava Group", which was Zastava's old name during the Yugoslav period. Thankfully, Zastava now refers to itself as "Zastava Arms", which is "Zastava oružje" in Serbo-Croat. Both Zastava and CZ have US subsidiaries now, so there's CZ-USA and Zastava USA.

Vz. gets interesting because its Czech for "vzor", which means "model." So, a gun like a Vz. 58 is a CZ-made Vz. 58, or a CZ Vz. 58. This confused me when my dad started mentioning VZ 1911 grips. "Wz." is the same thing but in Polish. Zastava and its communist-era progenitor usually use "M" as the model designation.

Back
Top Bottom