• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1.4 million more Americans than last year have concealed carry permits

commodon

NES Member
Which state do you think has the highest number of cc permits?

1.4 million more Americans than last year have concealed carry permits

Even as the topic of gun control continues to remain a focus in the Democratic 2020 presidential primary, more Americans than ever are believed to have obtained concealed carry permits.

In a report released this week, the Crime Prevention Research Center says there are now nearly 19 million Americans with permits to carry a concealed handgun – an increase of 1.4 million, or about 8 percent – from around this time last year.

The nonprofit, which describes itself as a “research and education organization dedicated to conducting academic quality research on the relationship between laws regulating the ownership or use of guns, crime and public safety,” said the new figure was estimated by reviewing state records.

concealed-weapon-iStock.jpg

The state with the highest percentage of concealed carry permits is Alabama, with nearly 26 percent, followed by Indiana with 18 percent and South Dakota with 16 percent.

The center also said that three states have more than 1 million concealed carry permit holders – Georgia, Texas and Pennsylvania – while Florida is the only state to have more than 2 million.

Sixteen states have adopted constitutional carry, meaning that a permit is no longer required,” the report states, but “some people in these states still choose to obtain permits so that they can carry in other states that have reciprocity agreements with their states.

For more info, see 1.4 million more Americans than last year have concealed carry permits, report says

Yup. Keep pushing, libs. By and large, good Americans don't take kindly to being told what they can and cannot do, especially if said activity is a Constitutionally guaranteed civil right that says "shall not be infringed" in plain text. Every time they push for an AWB, they sell another ten thousand ARs. Women and minorities are leading the charge, and it's refreshing.

More permits this year. More mass shootings this year. Ergo, more permits = more shootings so we should ban all carry permits.

Right? ;)

...and this doesn't account for all the states that are "Constitutional Carry" now...There is simply no way to know how many more are carrying without a permit

...and this doesn't account for all the states that are "Constitutional Carry" now...There is simply no way to know how many more are carrying without a permit

Exactly what I was thinking. How many aren't permit holders anymore because of that? The number is probably much higher taking that into account

I wonder if they actually mean 1.4 million additional individuals with permits, versus 1.4 million additional permits? Case in point...I now have four times as many permits as I did just a year ago, since I've gotten a few out of state permits that I didn't have before. So am I now counted four times, or still just once?

Frank

I wonder if they actually mean 1.4 million additional individuals with permits, versus 1.4 million additional permits? Case in point...I now have four times as many permits as I did just a year ago, since I've gotten a few out of state permits that I didn't have before. So am I now counted four times, or still just once?

Frank

I have to imagine it's 1.4m additional permits total. There's really no way to correlate individuals between states since some states consider the licensees' personally identifiable information protected and is not released to the public.

I wish the additional permits correlated into votes against anti-2A pols.

A woman where my wife works just had her interview last Saturday.

No pics.

Last edited:
Wow. I am not all that surprised and don’t blame these people for coming to their senses.

Looking around at what the lefties and the media are doing to this country, the numbers will continue to grow.

Frank
You are probably counted 4 times.

I doubt they have access to some database that shows how many permits a specific person has.

This also cant take into account people in states that dont need permits.

How do they calculate the changes in states that go Con-Carry??? I mean, you can still HAVE a NH permit, but you don't NEED a NH permit. IS that a reduction or do they just remove NH's #'s from previous years?

CCW Permits counts are definitely an underestimated as many in Constitutional Carry states may not apply for permits, but I’d venture very few overall have multiple permits - so numbers are up.

One might say that the very low crime rate for those with CCW Permits gets muddied by Constitutional Carry. There are no good statistics on those who were otherwise *not* prohibited persons who committed a crime while carrying in a Constitutional Carry state. That said, everybody is a “not prohibited” person until they commit their first act that makes them a prohibited person. Funny that, in states with gun/magazine bans/limits, there are probably more licensed gun owners that are felons that “didn’t turn them in” than there are felons in prisons...

A good estimate might come from Source and Use of Firearms Involved in Crimes: Survey of Prison Inmates, 2016 where just 10% obtained their firearms from a retail source. I’ll go out on a limb and suggest honest. Law-abiding citizens are not drawn to the dark side by the evil emanating from a gun, so the vast majority of that 10% were probably low-life scum that just hadn’t been caught and enrolled as NICS prohibited persons yet.

Of course, 90% of these prisoners obtained guns by illicit means, presumably as they were prohibited persons, with 20% planning to use a gun in crime. Oddly, the non-white population with guns when caught outnumbers the white population 8-to-1, but that doesn’t comport well with the old, white, male meme of so-called NRA terrorists so these numbers don’t get much press.

But facts never had anything to do with gun control. Remember, crime is plummeting so you don’t need a gun - it’s just NRA in collusion with gun manufacturers creating fear to drive gun sales. But also remember that there are too many guns and more guns are clearly causing more crime - studies prove it. With crime going both up and down to justify gun control, there’s really no valid reason to not pass more gun control laws, eh?

One might say that the very low crime rate for those with CCW Permits gets muddied by Constitutional Carry. There are no good statistics on those who were otherwise *not* prohibited persons who committed a crime while carrying in a Constitutional Carry state. That said, everybody is a “not prohibited” person until they commit their first act that makes them a prohibited person. Funny that, in states with gun/magazine bans/limits, there are probably more licensed gun owners that are felons that “didn’t turn them in” than there are felons in prisons...

Not true. You need to be caught, tried and convicted before you are a felon. Those who are in prison were caught, tried and convicted. Those who didn't turn them in weren't.

If they're talking just resident permits it's a good number, if not, they'd be counting some many times. In my case six, wish they'd let me vote that way.

Not true. You need to be caught, tried and convicted before you are a felon. Those who are in prison were caught, tried and convicted. Those who didn't turn them in weren't.

Yeah, good point. I'll change that to "... have committed a breach of the law punishable as a felony crime if convicted." Some states slap a 2nd degree felony charge on for such "crimes" if not in conjunction with real crimes and others plea bargain down to misdemeanors. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom