• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1 2 or 3 point slings?

I need to sling up a couple ar's and a benelli m4 that currently sit in the safe...I've been weighing the options for a while now and just cant decide. Does anyone have experience with the 1 or 3 point slings, the ar's are carbine length with collapsible stocks. The slings are all around the same cost, $30 but the 1 point attachments are going for an addition $30. Is it worth it? These are not gonna be lugged through the woods on hunting trips, they are more for the SHTF.

Single point slings are great for vehicle use and all around handiness. If you ever plan on using your AR's or M4 for serious use, (ie: SHTF or non static classes), you may find them to be a not so wise choice - especially when you have to quickly transition from rifle to pistol on the move...The barrel of your gun will inevitably bounce off your knee - which sucks...Personally, I like a two-point. Look into Troy or Vickers which are overbuilt and practical...

Go with a one or two point sling. I think the two point adjustable is likely the best.

Skip the 3 point sling -- they are pain in the behind and catch on everything.

1pts are great for shoulder transitions, but they limit your usefulness when slung. Since the rifle swings so much when slung, one hand is often required to hold the gun to keep it from swinging. 1pt bungee designs have broken teeth.

3pts are a method to reduce the distance between the strap contact points for guns that have attachment points only on the ends. The problem with 3pt slings is that the extra webbing that runs along the side of the gun can get in the way of the controls.

While no sling design is perfect, 2pts seem to be the best compromise. Shoulder transitions are slower, but it is easier to control the gun while slung. I prefer the Vickers (blueforcegear.com) or laruetactical.com adjustable designs.

I swear by single point. A good single point sling with tubular webbing (so it doesn't saw into your neck), a metal hook style clip to attach to your weapon, and a quality pinch clip between the hook and the sling itself (for quick detach purposes) is just about ideal for me. Keep in mind, if you want this for a legit SHTF situation, you'll likely be carrying more than just a rifle. You'll probably at least have a pack on your back every now and then. That alone makes constant slinging and unslinging a real PITA. Being able to throw on a single point and just clip and unclip the rifle when needed is soooooooo much easier. Also, the more the sling contacts the weapon, the more the sling can interfere with presenting the weapon on target if a piece of the sling get's caught on another piece of gear you're wearing. Put simply, I looked like a monkey f---ing a football when we were training with our new high speed 3-point slings, and I couldn't even raise my muzzle from alert carry because the sling was caught on some crap on my back.

Magpul has a new sling system that is single point that converts pretty easily to a two point. I haven't held one, but have seen video demos and they look pretty versatile.

Dave

I would highly recommend taking a look at Urban ERT (www.urbanertslings.com). Their Urban Sentry is actually a hybrid - 1 point or two point. I bought one a couple months ago to use with my ARs / tactical shotgun and love it. Quality is top notch and the best part is they have a bunch of adapters to fit all different guns. When I called I ended up catching the owner directly and he shipped my order within 1 hr of placing it. Watch the video too, they thought this one through.

Back
Top Bottom