09:00 to 10:00 arrival time - OCTOBER 10th, 2009 - Cast Bullets Workshop

Would you want to participate in a FREE cast bullet event?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Workshop Planning Details

Please plan on arriving between 09:00 and 10:00 (AM)

Here's the address for the workshop

Workshop Section Volunteers:

• Raw Wheel Weight Processing - Making Ingots - Techniques DukeInMaine
  • Linotype - Plumbers lead - and other forms of material Bob_J
  • Melting Pot Options - Electric vs Gas DukeInMaine
  • Fluxing Techniques DukeInMaine
  • Mold Types - Pro's and Cons Bob_J
  • Mold preparation - Before the pouring begins DukeInMaine
  • Casting in Earnest - Let the pouring begin! Everyone should get a chance!
  • Trimming - Sizing Bob_J
  • Lube that lead! - Techniques, Recipies Bob_J
  • The How's and Why's of Gas Checks - Where to get them and how they're used Bob_J
  • Reloading with cast bullets, issues and concerns
  • Photographer, to visually document techniques beantown
  • Food.... there has to be food!!!! G3

=============================================================

Participants Attending

DukeInMaine
Bob_J
G3
Steve Wabuda
Joe Baker
Crash82
beantown
Marcus5Aurelius
Stuart Thomas

=============================================================

UPDATE: See post #31.

During my reloading classes, I always mention cast bullets as one of the sources for bullets. I have shown the students the casting equipment, but just a quick brush by.

At least of of the students, Bob_J, seems to have taken off at a fast pace with casting bullets, as evidenced by his posts on the subject. One other recent student, G3, has specifically asked me to do a cast bullet class or session, or whatever, to teach him how to do it.

I don't see this as ever being a regular event (not like the reloading classes). But, if there is enough interest, I'd be up for setting up a session to cast some bullets and show anyone/everyone how it's done.

I'd like to at least cover costs of materials (gas for heat, etc) for the day, but don't expect to charge a "normal" class fee to do this. So, I am thinking that maybe at the end of the day, we could do a pass the hat type thing, and just call it a FREE bullet casting seminar.

I'd be perfectly happy with hosting the event at the ranch here in Maine (a wonderful get away place), including burgers, dogs, cold drinks, etc. I prefer doing all the casting stuff outside, since ventilation is a MUST. Hopefully the rain has stopped for a while. But in the event of rain, we could move the event into my large barn (concrete floor).

So, if anyone is interested, we should organize this asap, including picking dates.

Last edited:
Hi Duke,

This is a great idea...... Something about shooting a 4.5 cent 45 ACP round (primer + powder) just seems to appeal to me every time I look at the price of ammo....[smile]

Would definitely be interested depending on scheduling.... Particularly if it covered everything from wheel weights to lubri sizing.....[grin]

Have my own setup but everything so far has been gleaned from reading (RCBS/Lyman etc) casting manuals and cast boolits.... I would be the first to admit that I don't know what I don't know.... Would love to get a chance to see a long time caster in action.... Can't beat that "hands on" experience....[smile]

Would also be willing to help out where ever you need it.....[wink]

I took Dukes reloading class last Saturday. Duke is not only a great guy but he knows so much about the subject.
Class should have been for 6 to 7 hours. But I tell you class took almost 10 hours. He held the class even though I was the only one sighed up to it . He answered my endless questions. You could tell from his casting offer he is in to help people.
Thank you Duke for your patience and knowledge.
I am in for casting class and probably could do any weekend. I would help you to put the event together.

The event has been "formulating" in my head all day..... (or at least SOMETHING is rattling around up there....)

I'm thinking something like:

9:00 to 11:00 - Conversion of lead wheel weights to ingots. This would give anyone who has their own system of doing this to demo it for the others. I have a pretty slick way that's very different than anything I have seen elsewhere.

11:00 to 12:00 PM - Melting pot designs, and tools for melting the ingots. If you have a melting pot, whether electric or fire heated, we can discuss the process before lunch, but save the casting process for after lunch. For example, I have a Lee casting pot that I re-did to use features similar to the RCBS pot (for much less $$$)

12:00 to 1:30 - Lunch

1:30 to 3:00 - Let the Casting begin. Those who have molds might bring them, to demo the casting process, and share the mold use with others, and share the techniques with others.

3:00 to 4:30 - Final processing of the cast bullets. Sizing, lubing, gas checks. Maybe some press activity, where we load some rounds.

4:30 - Wrap Up ... and whatever else.

We'd love for you to bring some of your stuff for the casting event, which is also free.

Think: Shirley Shoot, but just for casting bullets.....

I would be happy to show the basics of casting to anyone interested. I am located just off 495 in Westford and have around 50 various molds. This would be a no charge situation for anyone interested. I just enjoy making my own from scratch.

Definitly interested, particularly in the sizing/lubricating etc. I have a 20lb lee pot I use for weights and jigs and really need to utilize it for casting bullets.

This looks great.... Nice job (as always)....[smile]

The event has been "formulating" in my head all day..... (or at least SOMETHING is rattling around up there....)

I'm thinking something like:

9:00 to 11:00 - Conversion of lead wheel weights to ingots. This would give anyone who has their own system of doing this to demo it for the others. I have a pretty slick way that's very different than anything I have seen elsewhere.

11:00 to 12:00 PM - Melting pot designs, and tools for melting the ingots. If you have a melting pot, whether electric or fire heated, we can discuss the process before lunch, but save the casting process for after lunch. For example, I have a Lee casting pot that I re-did to use features similar to the RCBS pot (for much less $$$)

12:00 to 1:30 - Lunch

1:30 to 3:00 - Let the Casting begin. Those who have molds might bring them, to demo the casting process, and share the mold use with others, and share the techniques with others.

3:00 to 4:30 - Final processing of the cast bullets. Sizing, lubing, gas checks. Maybe some press activity, where we load some rounds.

4:30 - Wrap Up ... and whatever else.

I was offering to do this here just because.....

However, if there is a more central place that will handle the crowd, then we can do it there. No biggie to me.

Any place else that could handle the arrangements?

I have a Magma Star lube sizer on order which (hopefully) will ship in a month or so..... Would be glad to bring it if I receive it in time.... That way we could also cover Lube/sizing as well as tumble and pan lubing.... Also, depending on when the rest of my molds come in we could also cover gas checks...

Also got a pound or so of Cerrosafe so could demonstrate how to use it to slug a barrel....

Right now I have 2 molds (358429 = 168gr Kieth and a Lee TL452-200-SWC) but have orders (group buys) in for:

311291 = 170gr GC
.502 HP = 460gr FN or 400gr HP depending on pin GC
.502-375 = Spire point GC

Would be glad to bring what I have at the time we do this...[smile]

I would be happy to show the basics of casting to anyone interested. I am located just off 495 in Westford and have around 50 various molds. This would be a no charge situation for anyone interested. I just enjoy making my own from scratch.
Without question I'd love to take you up on your generous offer to do this. Before I go out and buy equipment I'd like to have the pros and cons explained by someone who knows by experience. I just want to cast bullets for my hunting rifles and muzzleloader. Casting is something I've always wanted to learn.

Without question I'd love to take you up on your generous offer to do this. Before I go out and buy equipment I'd like to have the pros and cons explained by someone who knows by experience. I just want to cast bullets for my hunting rifles and muzzleloader. Casting is something I've always wanted to learn.

Send me a pm re: when you would like to drop by and we can work it out from there. I cast everything from 22cal. to 12 ga. slug.

Thanks BIG GUN for the time to show me the ropes. What a pleasure meeting you and
spending some time with you. Thanks also for the tour of HSC!

Here are some of my first casts. Any of them that aren't up to snuff are mine [smile].
All of BIG GUN's casts were perfect!

These are 115gr .313 out of my 311008 Lyman dual cavity mould.

07_29_2009001a.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks BIG GUN for the time to show me the ropes. What a pleasure meeting you and
spending some time with you. Thanks also for the tour of HSC!

Here are some of my first casts. Any of them that aren't up to snuff are mine [smile].
All of BIG GUN's casts were perfect!

These are 115gr .313 out of my 311008 Lyman dual cavity mould.

07_29_2009001a.jpg

Richard, I did a brinell check on one of the rejects and it showed 14. Good for any reasonable velocity.

Richard, I did a brinell check on one of the rejects and it showed 14. Good for any reasonable velocity.

I lubed and sized (.313) these on my Star and loaded them with 2.70 to 3.00 grains of
#2 in .05 grain increments. The 2.80 grain loads look they are keepers, although the 3.00
load in my S&W looked good as well. I forgot my chrono so I don't have any velocity
numbers. All the loads shot well, much better than the 90gr Berry's (2.4gr TG) I have been
shooting in these pistols.

08_29_2009002a.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom